Lose hope for UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ablumoon

=)
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My secondary was completed 8/18. This Thrusday will be the "8 week mark." Other people who got completed before I did have already been invited. Does this mean I'm doomed? Or do they usually wait to invite "weaker" candidates later? I wish they would just reject me already so I can stop hoping. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Edited: nevermind, due to OP's clarification.

ablumoon said:
My secondary was completed 8/18. This Thrusday will be the "8 week mark." Other people who got completed before I did have already been invited. Does this mean I'm doomed? Or do they usually wait to invite "weaker" candidates later? I wish they would just reject me already so I can stop hoping. :(

I'm a weaker candidate and I got the secondary much later than people who were at or above their averages. They definitely aren't reluctant to reject people they aren't considering, so I wouldn't worry just yet :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
i meant for the interview invitations...not the secondaries...my secondary has been completed for about 8 weeks now.. :(

5 weeks and still no secondary from them...

....is this the usual?

ablumoon said:

Stop being so negative, at least you got a secondary...

I'm on week #8 and still no UCSF secondary...

i just got my secondary... it was more than the 8 weeks mark...
so yah, keep your faith!

anyone who applied last year know when the started sending post-secondary rejections? That's all i want to know; if i am still in the running for an interview.

I was complete 9/22 and jsut got an interview invite today if that helps any.

I got my AMCAS acknowledged on 8/15, like a lot of us. Which means that ten weeks (of "three to ten weeks" from their e-mail) will fall exactly on my birthday, 10/24/05. Losing hope? Was there much hope to begin with? I dunno. I'd at least like a secondary. (I'm watching Trainspotting, if that conveys my state of mind.)

coco said:
I was complete 9/22 and jsut got an interview invite today if that helps any.
How long did it take you to go from "received" to "complete"?

Bluntman said:
How long did it take you to go from "received" to "complete"?
About a week I think. My LORs got there faster than I expected but I don't remember it being a very long time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone in that 8/15 group heard anything recently from UCSF? The 10-week mark is coming up pretty quickly and I'm kinda nervous :(

jrdnbenjamin said:
I was complete 8/16 and my rejection letter was dated 10/11.

Was it a flat out rejection? I just got a letter also but I think it said "hold" status or something. Iono, a hold seems just about the same as a rejection to me at this point. :mad:

Ugh, I'm still waiting... they've had my AMCAS since 8/15. Geez.

Kazazzle12 said:
Has anyone in that 8/15 group heard anything recently from UCSF? The 10-week mark is coming up pretty quickly and I'm kinda nervous :(

I was in the 08/15 group and I finally received a secondary on Tuesday (via email).

Good luck!!

I too am in the 8/15 group - and no word yet. Fingers crossed... tightly.

UCSF got a whole new admissions team this year. I am sure the ideology of the Ad com has changed dramatically. They seem to be overly concerned with social justice. I am sure the years prior to this year the Ad com was not as concerned with this as much; they just sought people who were well rounded and high stats and somewhat very scientifically oriented.

Anyone who is a champion of social justice has a slight advantage.

Regime change played right into the hands of the revolutionaries

Faust said:
UCSF got a whole new admissions team this year. I am sure the ideology of the Ad com has changed dramatically. They seem to be overly concerned with social justice. I am sure the years prior to this year the Ad com was not as concerned with this as much; they just sought people who were well rounded and high stats and somewhat very scientifically oriented.

Anyone who is a champion of social justice has a slight advantage.

Regime change played right into the hands of the revolutionaries
And how do you know this? Is it posted on their website or something?

I'm also part of the 8/15 group with no word!

EnergyShotz said:
Was it a flat out rejection? I just got a letter also but I think it said "hold" status or something. Iono, a hold seems just about the same as a rejection to me at this point. :mad:
Yes, it was an absolute, "go away and never come back," have a nice life, etc. type letter. That's 0/2 for me with UCSF since they also rejected me for grad school. Oh well. If I get into Davis I'll forget that UCSF ever existed.

Ok, UCSF got my AMCAS data 8/15 and I just got the secondary today, so don't give up hope yet 8/15ers!

kalenakai said:
Is it posted on their website or something?

Yes, it was posted on there when it happened sometime in the summer. Also, if you read the white coat ceromony speech, you'll see sprinkles of this ideology. It is not directly stated like I have stated it, but when you read what people say on the website you'll get it, I also have many friends there that alluded to slight change of focus. It happens at various schools, sometimes they go years where they accept a high number of research oriented peeps, other times students that have a lot of clinical experience...Info comes from my peeps over at ucla, uci, and ucsf.