Losing heart ... :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgpremed11

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the Mcat April 27th, I want to be finished with content review by end of february but every time I look at a MCAT book nowadays I just get tired. On top of this im putting up with biochem and o chem. Should i just take a break an finish content review around mid March? Then I would only have 6 weeks or practice test and practice passages.

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a short break may be ok. However, be very careful that one week break does not end up being 2 then three, etc...

You're trying to study for the MCAT while doing Biochem and Orgo?! You are waaay overloading yourself, and it won't end well. There are three possible outcomes: you will get a good MCAT score at the expense of your Biochem and Orgo grades, you will get good Biochem and Orgo grades at the expense of your MCAT score, or you will burn out and do poorly on both. And in any of these scenarios, you are going to overwork yourself and have a generally unhappy semester. I think you should push back your MCAT date and start studying once the semester is over.

If you don't trust me, just see what SN2ed has to say: MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT

You're trying to study for the MCAT while doing Biochem and Orgo?! You are waaay overloading yourself, and it won't end well. There are three possible outcomes: you will get a good MCAT score at the expense of your Biochem and Orgo grades, you will get good Biochem and Orgo grades at the expense of your MCAT score, or you will burn out and do poorly on both. And in any of these scenarios, you are going to overwork yourself and have a generally unhappy semester. I think you should push back your MCAT date and start studying once the semester is over.

If you don't trust me, just see what SN2ed has to say: MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don’t Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT

But im only taking those 2 classes. Im part time right now

Members don't see this ad :)
But im only taking those 2 classes. Im part time right now

Are you taking the labs as well?

The way you described things in your opening post suggested that you were finding it difficult to juggle Biochem, Orgo, and the MCAT. If this is true, it doesn't matter how many credits you are taking. You shouldn't feel like you are overburdened.

Take a couple days break from MCAT, especially with at least one day off from school work as well. Let your mind rest before you get into it again, but I feel like anything over a week would be bad if you don't plan on postponing.

Are you taking the labs as well?

The way you described things in your opening post suggested that you were finding it difficult to juggle Biochem, Orgo, and the MCAT. If this is true, it doesn't matter how many credits you are taking. You shouldn't feel like you are overburdened.

Yeah its actually 9 hrs

biochem 3lec/1lab
orgo II 3lec/2lab

Mcat ~4 or 5 hrs a day

OP--I took the day off today becuase I was also feeling worn out. I pretty much burned through a Steam game called "Sequence." It's a charming little music-beat game.

If you want a day off--and have a Steam Account--PM me with your steam info and I'll gift you the game.

I feel you.

I am also taking the exam on April 27th. I (additionally) have a weak science background, so I spend a lot of time trying to understand what's in the review books. I mostly trudge through studying despite feeling demoralized most days, but for the past two days I've had this gnawing, distracting depression looming. I took a day off, went to a cafe and read a book, socialized, and I feel about 45% better today. It's a start.

Hang in there. Though I might delay my MCAT to the 11th of May or whatever.

I have the Mcat April 27th, I want to be finished with content review by end of february but every time I look at a MCAT book nowadays I just get tired. On top of this im putting up with biochem and o chem. Should i just take a break an finish content review around mid March? Then I would only have 6 weeks or practice test and practice passages.

If you spent even 1/100th of the time you spend on SDN towards your MCAT you would probably get a 46-U.

OP, biochem and organic chemistry should actually supplement your MCAT studying. I took those same classes the same semester I took the MCAT and thought that the classes helped a lot with the chemistry portions of the MCAT (orgo and gen.). The opposite holds true as well. I did well on biochem because I knew a lot of o-chem and gen. chem.

My advice to you is to make sure that when you're learning the concepts in class, realize that it's also going to be some of the same stuff for the MCAT. Also, take a break every once in a while! It's a mental marathon, so make sure you get plenty of rest (both mental rest and physical rest). Remember that this test has an ENORMOUS influence on where you end up next year. I had that thought in the back of my mind as motivation to study; however, there were times where I was just plain exhausted. For me, the best indicator of how much I've burned out is whether or not I want to study, despite knowing the significance of my MCAT score. I usually just stopped for the day. Good luck OP! If you study hard, you'll do just fine!

P.S. I don't recommend a week-long break unless you really really really really really really really need it. If you end up giving yourself that, it will be tempting to do it again, which is not good. Also... Sleeping a good amount of hours( >8 ) really helps get your mental gears working in the right mindset, from my experience.

For a test date at the end of April, you should be finishing up your content review at the end of March. This leaves April open to do practice tests. If you're on track to finish content review at the end of Feb., then you need to slow down. Take a few days off, then start up again at a slower pace. It'll be great for your sanity. Also, make sure you take a day off each week. This should help stave off burn-out. The day before the test, just relax. Go watch a movie, watch an entire season of a TV show, have a couple beers, play some video games, take a nap or two, and overall just be lazy. You'll be well-rested and ready to go on test day.

Last edited:
I'm about ready to give up and go with my backup plan. I'm sure I can squeeze out a 30 by my test date but I'm just so sick tired of studying for this worthless, idiotic exam and all of it's ******ed tricks and nuances, and to a greater extent I'm also dreading the stupid pointless bull**** I'll have to put up with before I can even submit an application: kissing asses for LORs, writing an idiotic personal statement, spending thousands of dollars on applications, etc. I truly hate this process more than life itself and I'm almost hoping I tank the MCAT so I'll have the motivation to do something else with my life.

I'm about ready to give up and go with my backup plan. I'm sure I can squeeze out a 30 by my test date but I'm just so sick tired of studying for this worthless, idiotic exam and all of it's ******ed tricks and nuances, and to a greater extent I'm also dreading the stupid pointless bull**** I'll have to put up with before I can even submit an application: kissing asses for LORs, writing an idiotic personal statement, spending thousands of dollars on applications, etc. I truly hate this process more than life itself and I'm almost hoping I tank the MCAT so I'll have the motivation to do something else with my life.

I was with you for the most part, but not at the very end. I don't think you should be that discouraged. A friend of mine phrased this whole process as yet another way to weed out the competition. I have friends who were premed until the end of graduating, but never took the MCAT, or never applied. They just simply chose a new direction. This is totally a mental thing. Just get over these last few hurdles. You've gone through the classes, and now you're studying for the beast. It's almost over. It can be really discouraging at times. I know. I'm burned out like every 2-3 days. Application season is coming up and I know it's daunting, but try your best to bring up your morale. Once you've survived all this....crap, I feel that it will be worth it. I know you probably don't need a lecture, but I really hope you don't tank the MCAT. :thumbup:

The answer to your question is: amphetamines, cholinergics, dopaminergics, eugeroics, xanthines....

Pick your poison.

I was in your position this time exactly a year ago.

One year later, I've been accepted to a couple of awesome med schools and am extremely grateful for having put up with all of those hurdles. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. You just have to work extremely hard for it. Sometimes, you'll find that you've got more motivation in you than you had originally thought. I, for one, never studied as hard for anything than I did for the MCAT. And once again, I'm so glad I did.

P.S. You should also get used to it too, because applying for residency is a little similar. Lots of money spent, board exams, etc.