Jul 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone, What are my chances? I am URM (Mexican) born in Houston raised in Mexico but moved back to Houston when I was 7. I graduated with 3.65 overall gpa with excellent ECs and healthcare hours. My mcat is the only thing that I think will keep me from getting into medical school.. i score very low... I took it one time and got 500 and second time I got 498... I decide to apply anyways to all TMDSAS schools and AMCAS since I had a free waiver through FAP... I submitted primaries and secondaries in early July and was complete in most schools by July 13th... I just haven't heard nothing...

More background:
Raised by undocumented single mother of 4 children, very economically disadvantage and even homeless for one week.. we received our home through Habitat for Humanity.

EC:
Resident assistant, Ministry group leader, fraternity big brother, college forward mentor for URM students, physiology class preceptor, 800 hours of vonteering for Habitat for Humanity, 150 hours volunteer through fraternity cleaning up creeks and helping poor schools, 2500 hours working patient care technician, 2000 medical assistant in family practice and about 500 working as EMT in private ambulance.. 65 hours shadowing Family medicine, and 50 hours shadowing Physical Therapist.. I will start shadowing Pediatrician soon, NP and PA...

what do y'all think are my chances.. I know some people didn't hear back from interview until late December with similar stats as mine. Do y'all think they will go back and review my application once everyone's app is in?! Thank you guys.

Btw: I'm already studying again for my mcat... i plan on retaking it and applying again next year.. i will continue working as EMT, volunteering, and shadowing.. thanks

Rhabdoviridae

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
May 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Don't worry. Since you are a minority in our current age of affirmative action and diversity initiatives, they'll pretty much let anyone in irrespective of grades and mcat scores.

OP
G
Jul 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't worry. Since you are a minority in our current age of affirmative action and diversity initiatives, they'll pretty much let anyone in irrespective of grades and mcat scores.
I'm not sure about that. I'm sure there is still some standards for us URMs. In order to be a good doctor you still have to be competent..I've seen other URM getting interviews already and I have not received any... I'm sure it's my mcat but I also know it's not impossible..

minimebulldog23

2+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone, What are my chances? I am URM (Mexican) born in Houston raised in Mexico but moved back to Houston when I was 7. I graduated with 3.65 overall gpa with excellent ECs and healthcare hours. My mcat is the only thing that I think will keep me from getting into medical school.. i score very low... I took it one time and got 500 and second time I got 498... I decide to apply anyways to all TMDSAS schools and AMCAS since I had a free waiver through FAP... I submitted primaries and secondaries in early July and was complete in most schools by July 13th... I just haven't heard nothing...

More background:
Raised by undocumented single mother of 4 children, very economically disadvantage and even homeless for one week.. we received our home through Habitat for Humanity.

EC:
Resident assistant, Ministry group leader, fraternity big brother, college forward mentor for URM students, physiology class preceptor, 800 hours of vonteering for Habitat for Humanity, 150 hours volunteer through fraternity cleaning up creeks and helping poor schools, 2500 hours working patient care technician, 2000 medical assistant in family practice and about 500 working as EMT in private ambulance.. 65 hours shadowing Family medicine, and 50 hours shadowing Physical Therapist.. I will start shadowing Pediatrician soon, NP and PA...

what do y'all think are my chances.. I know some people didn't hear back from interview until late December with similar stats as mine. Do y'all think they will go back and review my application once everyone's app is in?! Thank you guys.

Btw: I'm already studying again for my mcat... i plan on retaking it and applying again next year.. i will continue working as EMT, volunteering, and shadowing.. thanks
Your EC's look great! Your gpa looks good as well. My advice would be to really focus on the MCAT and target your strengths and weaknesses through FL exams and see what you are missing and need to spend more time on. Stay positive and good luck!!

I think this is rather rude and doesn't contribute to the OPs post.

Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

More background:

EC:

I honestly don't know what your chances of acceptance truly are, but if 500 is the higher of your two previous attempts, that seems concerning. If you don't get accepted this cycle, before you take the mcat again, you would be wise to seriously analyze the basis of your low scoring so you could intelligently and systematically prepare for the test. Best of luck.

Reactions: westbill and gjr428

Saifa

Carrion Crawler
2+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student

OP you have a compelling story and I think you're destined for admission at some point. I'm impressed with anyone who can crack 500 on the MCAT with that background.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Ignore this idiot. Ignore any idiot that speaks to you like this or disparages you. Ever.

It sounds like you have a good plan and plenty of ECs to boot. What do you think the biggest hurdle is with the MCAT and you scoring higher? Your grades indicate you're capable of it so... what needs to change for the MCAT to rise?

Also, never give up hope. At least not with everything else you've overcome, everything you've accomplished, everything you have to GIVE to others. Yeah, never give up.

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Not sure if you've seen this before but it really goes for any of us... My word? Hope.