Losing hope/need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

le chatelier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope the MCAT studying is going well.

I have my mcat this saturday on the 26th. I've spent the last month and a half preparing for it, and so far I have taken 4 practice exams. I take my last one tomorrow. I have scored pretty low on all of them. 26, 24, 24, 24. My PS VR and BS scores fluctuate by 1 point or so every time. Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I don't really have much time to prepare. This is my second time taking the mcat, the first time I had to void because of medical reasons. This time I feel like i've put so much effort into preparation but with little results.

Also, I'm a senior, and I plan to apply to medical school this summer. I have a feeling I will retake the mcat once more during the summer, probably in July. I hate to consider this but, should I void the exam again and just keep preparing? Or should I take this score that I get no matter what, apply, and then retake?

I appreciate all advice. Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

I have my mcat this saturday on the 26th. I've spent the last month and a half preparing for it, and so far I have taken 4 practice exams. I take my last one tomorrow. I have scored pretty low on all of them. 26, 24, 24, 24. My PS VR and BS scores fluctuate by 1 point or so every time. Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I don't really have much time to prepare. This is my second time taking the mcat, the first time I had to void because of medical reasons. This time I feel like i've put so much effort into preparation but with little results.

Also, I'm a senior, and I plan to apply to medical school this summer. I have a feeling I will retake the mcat once more during the summer, probably in July. I hate to consider this but, should I void the exam again and just keep preparing? Or should I take this score that I get no matter what, apply, and then retake?

Thats your problem, MCAT requires AT LEAST 3 months of preparation (took me that long to go from 22 to 28-30).

Since you paid and its too late to get a refund, take it and void it is my suggestion. Even if you give yourself a +2 point spread (rarely happens, but it does), it will only leave you with a 26, which isn't even that great for DO.

If you study for next ~5 months, you will be in top shape.

Having taken the test once before, you should have known that for most people it takes more than just a month and a half of prep to score well on the MCAT. Based on your practice scores, I would recommend that you postpone and take it when your practice scores are within a desirable range. Scoring 24 multiple times show a lack in content knowledge. I advise you evaluate your study skills/study method and spend about 3 months focusing on MCAT preparation. I know you have a plan to apply by a certain time, but you will be in a much better position to apply if you have a good score instead of just taking it even though you know you would probably need to retake again. Its a bad idea to sit for the exam unless you are fully prepared.

Thats your problem, MCAT requires AT LEAST 3 months of preparation (took me that long to go from 22 to 28-30).

Since you paid and its too late to get a refund, take it and void it is my suggestion. Even if you give yourself a +2 point spread (rarely happens, but it does), it will only leave you with a 26, which isn't even that great for DO.

If you study for next ~5 months, you will be in top shape.

But will it do any good to my application if I get a 24-28, but then retake and improve significantly? I do not feel comfortable with voiding my exam twice, and I wouldn't like to postpone my application for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
But will it do any good to my application if I get a 24-28, but then retake and improve significantly? I do not feel comfortable with voiding my exam twice, and I wouldn't like to postpone my application for a year.

You do not want a retake on your record if you can help it. Obviously scoring higher the second time around will help, but keep in mind that schools will see all of your scores when you apply. Some schools only look at the highest score, others only look at the most recent, and others still average all scores together (such that if you get a 24 on this exam and then retake later and get a 44, those schools would evaluate you as if you took the test once and got a 34).

It sucks that voiding is your best option, but that's what tends to happen when you give yourself only a month and a half to study. Most people spend 3 months on this exam, if not even longer than that. Postponing your exam shouldn't delay your application. I don't know why you think it will. You can take it as late as early May and still have your primaries submitted very early in. I would strongly recommend that you at least postpone your test to mid-March.

You could consider taking it in May. You would have sufficient study time and you can still apply early. I think you should void again, instead of taking a score that does not represent what you are capable of.

I was in same boat. First time though I submitted n did not void. I was supposed to take it this week but didnt feel ready so I pushed it back to march 23/4 date. I am not ready n need extra time. The only way to get better is to practice a lot. HOURS a day. Questions, review, verbal, review, formulas etc.

Postpone it stat

Take and void.

I was in the same boat last summer. I prepared for 5 weeks and thought I just go in and wing it. I was wrong. I regret not postponing my test and having to retake.

For few people, and I mean very few, 6 weeks of preparation is more than enough, but for those of us who are rusty on their pre-med material, 3 months is the MINIMUM.

My retake is in April, and I have been preparing since the beginning of the year. If by March I don't see myself scoring 30+ on AAMC, I'm postponing.