Losing the mystery to life (and girls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you feel as if some of the mysteries of life and especially those of the opposite sex are gone? Such as when you stare at a girl, all you're thinking about are what muscles are there, innvervated by what, neighbored by what, surrounded by what, enclosed in what.. like you're just superimposing Netter over her?

Then you begin to feel morbid as you imagine her vessels, nerves, skeletal system and feel all of a sudden quite sad/introspective as you realize all that beautiful flesh and fat is just that.. flesh and fat? BAH!

Joke to cheer you up: What do you call the flesh around the vagina? The woman.

Members don't see this ad.

That's not the mystery of life. The mystery of life is life. We are not just physical beings. I am will always be amazed by life. I amazed by the courage so many of us have seen portrayed in this world, the love that is often shared, and our ability to create such amazing things like art, music, literature.

The flesh is the flesh. But we're so much more than that. I'm not my arm, my body, lose an arm and I'm still me. My soul stretches beyond the containment of any body. My girlfriend has an amazing spirit. Although, I muss confesss her body is nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
The true mystery is consciousness. How does millions of interconnected neurons that either excite or inhibit allow us to to be what we are?

I do think about muscles whenever I see a well built, sexy man without his shirt on. It makes me a huge nerd.

You're not the only one. Ever see the Robbie Williams, <i>Rock DJ</i> video? Apparently, gross anatomy is sexy!

The more I learn the more I realize we don't know jack $hit about the cosmos around us.

For me, medical school is about learning a cool story that thousands of previous doctors have been working on for many years. Maybe some day I will get to add to the story medicine, and discover some interesting facet to medicine. I think I will call the chapter that I will add... ... ummm... eh... "Physiognomy" :D

I've got to admit that after the week we learned the male genital exam during second year and had to practice on like 6 men x 2 nights, I had issues at "home". I have NO idea how male OB/Gyn's have any interst in their wives. After that intense week, thing returned to normal. My OB/Gyn rotation made me a bit too free with the use of the word "vagina", however.

keraven said:
My OB/Gyn rotation made me a bit too free with the use of the word "vagina", however.

HAHAHA... Ah the socializing of a doctor... that's awesome.

The mental imagery of the scene in my mind is hillarious.

Surrounding people: *whisper* "Did she just say vagina five times in the last minute?... yeah, I think she did... "
Keraven: *walks up* "Hey whats going on?" :laugh:

thank you for the laugh...

TTSD said:
Do you feel as if some of the mysteries of life and especially those of the opposite sex are gone?

I had to smile when I read this. I was just trying to explain this to a lifelong friend who has absolutely zero connection to the medical world.

A lot of the mechanics of being a living human being (and dying, for that matter) are "behind the curtain" for most people. I've realized that a large part of eroticism comes from the intimate experience (or anticipation of experience) with that which is intensely desirable, largely because of its mystery. Recently, while sitting in a large group of male and female medical students discussing the finer points of rectal and pelvic examinations, I realized that another part of my life was gone... along with Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, belief in the wisdom of mankind, etc..

I've lost other parts of myself as well. I realized during gross anatomy that the body at once has nothing to do with what makes us human, and is also the only tenuous connection that we have to this world. I found it very easy to imagine a group of med students 50 years hence passing around my disarticulated heart to find the LAD and chordae tendinae. What little belief I had in an afterlife is gone- I now believe that the little package of energy that we recognize as "self" is poured back into the world peacefully and without definition. Lifting the weight of an obese cadaver's omentum, holding a cirrhotic liver, and counting 47 diverticuli on another cadaver's descending and sigmoid colon- these things quickly swept away any comfortable denial I held regarding pleasurable but destructive lifestyle choices. I've lost 35 lbs. and stopped drinking even socially.. neither really intentionally. Just another part of my magical mystery tour that's been cancelled.

In a few short months I feel like I've replaced a lot of desires and ambitions with a better understanding of what the difference is between "life" and "not life." I've made a pact with myself to experience everything as fully as possible and to let go of pride, anger, and desire as much as possible. That little part of me that felt like a bad@ss for being in med school is dead and buried.

Incidentally, I now find that the eyes are the most enticing part of a woman's anatomy... especially when they show kindness, intensity, intelligence..

disclaimer: if this seems like a bunch of candy-ass, new-age sentimental BS....well, I guess it is. At least that's what I would have thought back when I was 25...

great post. very poetic, and so true...

MDPhDTom said:
HAHAHA... Ah the socializing of a doctor... that's awesome.

The mental imagery of the scene in my mind is hillarious.

Surrounding people: *whisper* "Did he just say vagina five times in the last minute?... yeah, I think he did... "
Keraven: *walks up* "Hey whats going on?" :laugh:

thank you for the laugh...
I'm hoping my avatar AND the rest of my post made it more evident that I'm a "she", rather than a he....

wait till you do psych........ and ob/gyn

Members don't see this ad :)
Reminds me of a recent lecture I attended on the subject of mammography. The rather elderly radiologist delivering the lecture was describing the acinar architecture of the mammary gland. "The breast is nothing more than a modified sweat gland," he said. He looked down at the podium and then muttered, "and if that's not depressing, I don't know what is..."

UnderDoc said:
Reminds me of a recent lecture I attended on the subject of mammography. The rather elderly radiologist delivering the lecture was describing the acinar architecture of the mammary gland. "The breast is nothing more than a modified sweat gland," he said. He looked down at the podium and then muttered, "and if that's not depressing, I don't know what is..."

LoL....that's hillarious

Boy, I had to laugh at this thread. I am just finishing my OB/Gyn rotation, and I can tell you, for the past 6 weeks, I have had zero libido. Every time I deliver a baby, with fluid and mec and blood and possibly feces going everywhere, I can't even stand to *think* about vaginas for three days afterward (let alone doing that, uh, other....thing)
:scared:

TTSD said:
Do you feel as if some of the mysteries of life and especially those of the opposite sex are gone? Such as when you stare at a girl, all you're thinking about are what muscles are there, innvervated by what, neighbored by what, surrounded by what, enclosed in what.. like you're just superimposing Netter over her?
Frankly, no. I'm not sure I ever went through such a thing, i.e., I never found the physical attributes of a woman less attractive after knowing more about general anatomy (and physiology.) I mean, I know that--as was mentioned--the breast is essentially a modified sweat gland, but that never diminished the pleasure of looking at an attractive woman.

When I took anatomy I remember wondering if Netter's diagram of the breast perhaps took a little longer, relatively speaking, than his other drawings. Like he wanted to get it just right.

PS:
Despite my previous post, Toadkiller makes a great point. Not to be crass, (meaning: I'm about to be crass) but seeing vaginas all day long in the OB/Gyn rotation is really not all that much fun.

yep about vaginas, I wonder if i would be able to enjoy sex after ong. But then again, sex is sex, all that matters is one hot honey to spice ur magic stick up.

life is too short... feel free ... speak ur mind. We all have sexy wild fantasies. hehehehe

Akuffo said:
yep about vaginas, I wonder if i would be able to enjoy sex after ong. But then again, sex is sex, all that matters is one hot honey to spice ur magic stick up.

life is too short... feel free ... speak ur mind. We all have sexy wild fantasies. hehehehe

There is immense and indescribable beauty in the naked figure of a woman's body. It's really something to appreciate (I saw some Renoir and Toulose-Lautrec today at the Art Inst. of Chicago...damn). It's so sexy :).

we did breast feeding, breast structure today...I don't think any guy got an erection

and actually, I think the breast are more provoking than that of a vagina :oops:

For girls, they get all cozy and cut when they are doing their OnG rotations with all the babies around, and then they see a real birth and they lose that interest to have kids themselves, and then they see a cute baby and they wana be a mother, and then they see a premie and lose interest again, and then they see a cute baby..dang,it's a vicious cycle :cool:

Kosmo said:
PS:
Despite my previous post, Toadkiller makes a great point. Not to be crass, (meaning: I'm about to be crass) but seeing vaginas all day long in the OB/Gyn rotation is really not all that much fun.

Not to be crass, but don't you really mean:

Seeing trich/BV/candida-infected vaginas all day long is really not that much fun?

Seeing the vaginas of morbidly obese/elderly/stinky women all day long is really not that much fun?

Seeing the vaginas of pregnant women all day long is really not that much fun?

Seeing the vaginas of women who are so used to pelvic exams that they say (true story) "oh, I don't mind if the medical student examines me, come here, bring your friends, I don't give a crap" is really not that much fun?

Seeing the vaginas of women who have given birth so many times or are so obese that you could put your arm inside their vagina is really not that much fun?

And as for breasts: the only breasts you get to examine are 35-year-old droopy ones (or the *shudder* 60-year-old ones that look like two mini-pannuses [panni? pannuses?] pasted to the woman's chest).

OK, I meant to be crass. I know the women of the forum will throw rocks at me, but it was fun.

Last semester as a break from studying anatomy, a friend of mine and I went to see a movie. So at one point of the movie, there is a zoom in on this one guy, who is absolutely hot, and instead of just ogling him, my friend and I turn to each other and say: "Wow, check out his superficial temporal vein!"

Slinkie said:
Last semester as a break from studying anatomy, a friend of mine and I went to see a movie. So at one point of the movie, there is a zoom in on this one guy, who is absolutely hot, and instead of just ogling him, my friend and I turn to each other and say: "Wow, check out his superficial temporal vein!"

Yeah, I know what you mean, when I thought to myself how the hot detective on NYPD blue has a great occipital protuberance, I knew I had reached complete med-geekdom ;)

I'm just browsing this forum after posting about college books, since I have yet to start med school...but I wanted to tell Enkindu that your post was really touching and memorable to me. I want to print it out and look at it every once in a while. ;)

kinetic said:
Not to be crass, but don't you really mean:

Seeing trich/BV/candida-infected vaginas all day long is really not that much fun?

Seeing the vaginas of morbidly obese/elderly/stinky women all day long is really not that much fun?

Seeing the vaginas of pregnant women all day long is really not that much fun?

Seeing the vaginas of women who are so used to pelvic exams that they say (true story) "oh, I don't mind if the medical student examines me, come here, bring your friends, I don't give a crap" is really not that much fun?

Seeing the vaginas of women who have given birth so many times or are so obese that you could put your arm inside their vagina is really not that much fun?

And as for breasts: the only breasts you get to examine are 35-year-old droopy ones (or the *shudder* 60-year-old ones that look like two mini-pannuses [panni? pannuses?] pasted to the woman's chest).

OK, I meant to be crass. I know the women of the forum will throw rocks at me, but it was fun.

What, this wasn't deep and touching? :D

kinetic said:
What, this wasn't deep and touching? :D
Well, I'm not sure about deep and touching, but very true. (This coming from a woman who had more than enough of everything you talked about -- crass or not, I found it completely true.)

closertofine said:
I'm just browsing this forum after posting about college books, since I have yet to start med school...but I wanted to tell Enkindu that your post was really touching and memorable to me. I want to print it out and look at it every once in a while. ;)

Thanks. I find that the less I search myself for some definitives.... the better I feel :)

Right now I feel like making a somewhat less poetic post (containing lots of short words) regarding biochemistry... I'll show you where to shunt your hexose monophosphate....

Good luck in your med school quest :)