losing weight during intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickfeet

Smooth Operator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to start intern year (medicine). Wanted to lose 50 lbs during M4, but only accomplished about 20-25. Too much free time and giving in to hunger cravings. I'm hoping a really busy schedule + stress will help me to lose the remaining lbs. Do most people gain or lose weight in residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Losing weight is simply about being in caloric deficit. You should eat about 500 calories below maintenance and adjust as you go. You first have to figure out maintenance: the amount of calories you can consume per day without losing or gaining any weight. Use trackers like MyFitnessPal to calorie track all of your food. Also try to keep your carbs, proteins, and fats in a good ratio to ensure your nutrition isn't total crap either. Try to schedule in cheat meals once a week but calculate it so that you still stayed in a deficit of about 3500 calories for the week. You'll lose about a pound a week under that system. Also, drink nothing but black coffee and water. When buying food from the super market, always look at the ingredients. For example, when buying whole wheat bread, make sure that "whole wheat" is in fact the first ingredient. A lot foods claim to be composed of one thing but have another thing entirely.

Do high intensity interval training for cardio, if you're limited with time. If you have some time, mix in some longer slower intensity cardio. We're all gonna make it. Good luck brah.

Reactions: 3 users
Losing weight is simply about being in caloric deficit. You should eat about 500 calories below maintenance and adjust as you go. You first have to figure out maintenance: the amount of calories you can consume per day without losing or gaining any weight. Use trackers like MyFitnessPal to calorie track all of your food. Also try to keep your carbs, proteins, and fats in a good ratio to ensure your nutrition isn't total crap either. Try to schedule in cheat meals once a week but calculate it so that you still stayed in a deficit of about 3500 calories for the week. You'll lose about a pound a week under that system. Also, drink nothing but black coffee and water. When buying food from the super market, always look at the ingredients. For example, when buying whole wheat bread, make sure that "whole wheat" is in fact the first ingredient. A lot foods claim to be composed of one thing but have another thing entirely.

Do high intensity interval training for cardio, if you're limited with time. If you have some time, mix in some longer slower intensity cardio. We're all gonna make it. Good luck brah.
..... I think he wanted to know bout residency lifestyle and if being really busy helps keep your mind off hunger.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I figured when people were stressed they ate more and especially when you have that possible free food hookup at the hospital cafeteria.

Reactions: 2 users
I figured when people were stressed they ate more and especially when you have that possible free food hookup at the hospital cafeteria.

I feel like it depends on the person. When I'm stressed, I end up unintentionally starving myself.

Reactions: 11 users
I feel like I more commonly hear about people gaining, also if you look at surgery residents they seem pretty horribly out of shape

I think the average is probably a net gain, but many people stay in shape or get into shape even in hellish residencies.

Depends on whether you're a stress eater or not. And if you make your own food. Eating junk food on nights never did anyone any good.

Depends on whether you're a stress eater or not. And if you make your own food. Eating junk food on nights never did anyone any good.

From what I gather the general consensus is gaining weight. Free cafeteria food + working nights + stress + less time for the gym = weight gain. But as mentioned the fact that you are a stress eater or not likely plays a role. And when I'm in the cafeteria with access to free food, I have a very difficult time choosing a salad over French fries. Lack of self control plays a role for me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I have lost a lot of weight in residency. Keeping around 10lbs less than my usual weight.
It probably also depends how you handle your stressors and also what specialty you are in.

About to start intern year (medicine). Wanted to lose 50 lbs during M4, but only accomplished about 20-25. Too much free time and giving in to hunger cravings. I'm hoping a really busy schedule + stress will help me to lose the remaining lbs. Do most people gain or lose weight in residency?

As an IM resident, you may gain weight. Surgical specialities usually lose weight as they go many hours without eating and are constantly running around from the OR to the ER to the wards. IM residents don't move around too much during the day, so activity levels may decrease from your baseline. Just make sure to develop good eating habits early on and you should be fine.

As an IM resident, do you find you can take short breaks often enough to eat a quick small meal or snacks at regular intervals in the break room?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am an OBGYN resident, - I personally lost a few lbs but gained them back. But I have a few friends in IM who gained weight.

After 2 days of intern year my cumulative food intake was 2 protein bars, a nectarine, a few bites of a breakfast sandwich, and a handful of soybeans. Clearly I need to get better at this or I will be losing weight this year. :(