Lost... Best Prep Books to buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheshireCat1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm about to buy MCAT books and I'm just feeling really lost and overwhelmed on which books to buy for each section of the exam. Most people I know are purchasing Kaplan's books but from researching on here, it seems a lot of people don't recommend it and recommend mixing and matching. I have been trying to fish throughout various threads on this topic such as SN2ed's thread but I don't know if it has been updated. It appears that the most recommended/ popular method is to use a combination of EK and TBR... Can anyone give me insight on to what most people have success with using for each of the individual test sections? I would appreciate any advice or links. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What I'm doing is using EK 9th edition (MCAT 2015 topics) as my main source, because it is so concise and most of the material is review anyway, but for topics that are not explained as thoroughly as I need them to be, I supplement with old TBR books. Why old TBR books? Becuase using new EK books already focuses me on MCAT 2015 topics, and TBR explains things so eloquently and thoroughly, and yet I save tons of money by using older versions.

it depends. Some people like X some like Y and will always find some saying X and Y did or did not work for them .

Check if a library near you has an MCAT collection or visit a bookstore to see which publisher has a writing style that fits your learning style.