Jan 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Guys

To just put it out there my first couple of years of college were not geared towards pre-med. I was a pre-med major but I didn't take it seriously. I've had my fair share of distraction and fooling around and I'm done with it. I really feel passionate about the profession, so I started volunteering and shadowed a couple physicians on the side. I believe this strengthened my resolve and thus made the decision to pursue further despite my very low grades. I am a senior majoring in Biology and my gpa is 2.173. I have about 100 hours of volunteering at a hospital nearby.

I'm here looking for guidance on how to get my act together and what are my best choices. I appreciate a hard talk but I will not accept battery or or those telling me to quit.I know I dug this hole for myself and I don't need people adding salt to the injury. However I would like some guidance on how to do better for the pre-med classes (some of which I am taking over).

Thank you
Sincerely Yours
A Lost Soul

V5RED

MS-1
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2011
Status
Medical Student
You said the first couple years were bad. What was your GPA then, and did it improve significantly after that?

What are your study habits like? Have you been earning A's now? If not those definitely need work. For example, if you diddle around on the internet or watch tv while studying, cut that out. If you aren't putting in at least 2-3 hours of study per credit hour per week, start doing that. If you try to rote memorize from flash cards, cut that out(flash cards are great to improve recall, but definitely not great to just memorize).

What is your plan if you can't be the straight A student you need to be to dig yourself out of this hole?

Reactions: Thoroughbred_Med
OP
O
Jan 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey

Thanks for the reply. what happened was I got really ambitious after I pulled a 3.1 and decided to take 3 bio classes along with orgo. I had to realize the hard way that wasn't a good idea, and did pretty poorly. Also would you like to elaborate more on the DO route and/or the grade replacement option. I am already familiar with post-bac. I also appreciate the feedback. I'm serious about this!

Flashfan

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2010
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
The pre-Osto forum is a great place to start. In a nutshell, DO schools allow for grade replacement. So if you retake a class the second grade replaces the first grade as long as the credits are the same or higher. So a C in O-Chem is replaced with an A. For MD, the grades are averaged, so it doesn't help as much. You don't need to do it as a formal post-bac either.

OP
O
Jan 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you so much I'm going to do a little more research and stay in touch.

God Bless!

OP
O
Jan 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Either go the DO route to take advantage grade replacement or do some sort of post-bac work.
Hey
Thanks for the reply. what happened was I got really ambitious after I pulled a 3.1 and decided to take 3 bio classes along with orgo. I had to realize the hard way that wasn't a good idea, and did pretty poorly. Also would you like to elaborate more on the DO route and/or the grade replacement option. I am already familiar with post-bac. I also appreciate the feedback. I'm serious about this!

justAstudent

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2011
California
Status
Medical Student
Hey
Say you failed Bio I with a F. For DO schools, you can retake Bio I and replace your F with whatever new grade you get. That F that you got before will not be counted in your GPA.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student