1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Lost..Facing 3x reapplication. Applying to only DO schools next year.

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by purple_frog, May 12, 2018.

1. purple_frog

Hi everyone,

It looks like I'm going to have to reapply for another cycle. I'm on 4 waitlists, but I'm not holding onto any hope. Also, I know that I messed up by not applying to DO schools during my previous two cycles. I am paying for that mistake with the mental toll the two cycles have taken on me.
    My stats are:
    3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA
    MCAT: 508 (expired..need to retake)
    I worked in a lab for 4 years, which resulted in a mid-level authorship of a publication. I also have a poster presentation.
    I was a nursing assistant for about 2 years. Volunteered at a hospital for a year.
    I was a medical scribe for a year.
    I was an AmeriCorps member for a year.

First Cycle: I did not apply to enough schools, but I did end up getting an interview at a state school. I was waitlisted at one and ultimately rejected.

Second cycle: I joined AmeriCorps. Ultimately resulted in 4 waitlists at MD schools.

My thoughts on how to improve for the third cycle: Retake MCAT and practice mock interviews. I know my interview skills are lacking, which resulted in the four waitlists.

I applied to about 30 schools the past two cycles, and I'm not sure if I should reapply to those schools. I think at this point, my best shot are my state schools and osteopathic schools.

I'm hoping to take the MCAT next year and apply a few months afterwards. I am also going to work at a clinic fulltime and shadow some osteopathic doctors.

Does this sound like a good plan? Let me know and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Jennydoe likes this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Balo

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It definitely does sound like a good plan, although I am a little concerned that you might get burned out with both full time work AND MCAT prep. The MCAT should be your first priority, and adding the DO schools, especially since you've never applied and thus will appear like a new applicant to these schools, will definitely help your chances of getting in somewhere. Good luck.

Jennydoe and purple_frog like this.
  4. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When you apply to DO schools, apply broadly to at least 20 schools and you should receive several interviews.
    Where is your state of residence? Which schools did you apply to in your most recent cycle and which 4 are you on the wait list?

Jennydoe likes this.
  5. purple_frog

Just messaged you. Thank you!

Jennydoe likes this.
  6. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    In addition, shadow DOs and get LORs from same.