Quantcast

Lost hope. QR is killing me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freakoutfrank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take my DAT in 4 days and I haven't been able to get passed 14 -15's on BC's QR Exams. So discouraging, I dont know what else I can do. Ive also been doing Math destroyer but when I time myself, Im only able to do about 24-26 of the problems. Im doing okay on all other sections scoring Avg (BC Scores: Bio19 GC18-19 PAT19 RC20 OC21). I really am wondering how much improvement one can make in this short amount of time and given my status was wondering whats even the likelihood of even scoring a 16 in QR. I think Im a point where regardless of what i do I will get owned by the DAT. I may do well on the sciences but my fear is that Ill end up with such a low score in QR that I will end up having to retake no matter what.

Any thoughts / words of encouragement/ advice is certainly welcomed.
Thanks!

Freakoutfrank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope so man i really dont know what to think I feel like some people have had good experiences and surprises on the actual DAT it just feels as if im leaving too much to chance.

DMikes

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMO Bootcamp QR is not extremely hard relative to the DAT. I was significantly more crunched for time on the DAT than on DAT Bootcamp. However, keep in mind that QR is one of the scores that schools don't scrutinize as closely. In other words, a low QR (16-17) won't end your chances. However, it may not allow you to apply to certain schools w/cut offs.

Math Destroyer is more difficult than the real DAT. If you're running out of time, it may help you to take a couple of the tests and do the problems w/o a time constraint as more practice.

Reactions: 1 user

Freakoutfrank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
DMikes Thanks for your reply.

Im currently trying to go over BC tests to see what Im doing wrong (aside from my horrible timing). I will continue to practice and see where I stand Wenesday. My fear is, doing decently well in all other sections then having to retake the whole exam because of QR. In the hypothetical case I pull sciences scores with at least 20's but then do horrible in QR I feel like this will then put me in a horrible retake situation, not only for the mere fact of having to retake but also running the risk of scoring less in other areas. At this point Im wondering if its even possible to fathom a 2 point increase from the 14's ive been getting.

mroerdh22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just took my DAT today and had mental breakdowns after my scores in QR ranged from 13 (or how they so nicely put it... below 13) up to 17. I had mental breakdowns about this all the way until yesterday. I couldn't break 17 to save my life. I knew I would be fine on all the other subjects but QR would kill me. Sure enough, I made a 17 on my QR today but my other scores gave me a great buffer to do just fine. Most schools hardly look at QR. There is a reason why they are talking about removing that section. It's a score killer and tells nothing of your ability to see bigger pictures or retain information which is what the sciences and PAT do for you. To me, the QR on bootcamp is harder than the real thing. There was a lot less geometry on the real thing, in my opinion. My issue was timing. I got really tired and slowed down today and had to guess on about 8 answers because I was short on time. Work on your timing and keeping the pace so you can work efficiently and do less guessing. I promise it will be ok, just do boot camp over and over again!!

Freakoutfrank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just took my DAT today and had mental breakdowns after my scores in QR ranged from 13 (or how they so nicely put it... below 13) up to 17. I had mental breakdowns about this all the way until yesterday. I couldn't break 17 to save my life. I knew I would be fine on all the other subjects but QR would kill me. Sure enough, I made a 17 on my QR today but my other scores gave me a great buffer to do just fine. Most schools hardly look at QR. There is a reason why they are talking about removing that section. It's a score killer and tells nothing of your ability to see bigger pictures or retain information which is what the sciences and PAT do for you. To me, the QR on bootcamp is harder than the real thing. There was a lot less geometry on the real thing, in my opinion. My issue was timing. I got really tired and slowed down today and had to guess on about 8 answers because I was short on time. Work on your timing and keeping the pace so you can work efficiently and do less guessing. I promise it will be ok, just do boot camp over and over again!!

mroerdh22

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I completely agree with your thoughts on the QR section. I hope I score somewhat what Ive been scoring on BC test on all other sections so that I can buffer the low QR score Im sentenced to get lol

BDG2012

Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel. My exam is 13 days away and I can't seem to score higher than a 14-15 on BC. I'm really worried as well. I'm doing fine on the other sections (20-22 on Orgo/GC/Bio/RC). The math destroyer is really difficult for me and after hearing people say that the real dat is more like the math destroyer, its giving me even more anxiety. Just keep your spirits up and do as many practice exams as you can and just hope that you will receive similar problems on your dat. With 4 days away, theres not much more you can do and worrying about it would only ruin your focus. You have to do really well on the other sections so that you they'll buffer your low QR scores. Best of luck to you!

Freakoutfrank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel. My exam is 13 days away and I can't seem to score higher than a 14-15 on BC. I'm really worried as well. I'm doing fine on the other sections (20-22 on Orgo/GC/Bio/RC). The math destroyer is really difficult for me and after hearing people say that the real dat is more like the math destroyer, its giving me even more anxiety. Just keep your spirits up and do as many practice exams as you can and just hope that you will receive similar problems on your dat. With 4 days away, theres not much more you can do and worrying about it would only ruin your focus. You have to do really well on the other sections so that you they'll buffer your low QR scores. Best of luck to you!

Thanks I will certainly continue to push. Btw good job on your BC scores. Keep up the fight!

BDG2012

Reaction score
Were those QR scores from Bootcamp? if so, was it similar in terms of how they word the questions? Also, were there many trig questions?

BDG2012

Reaction score
Thanks I will certainly continue to push. Btw good job on your BC scores. Keep up the fight!
Thanks you too! Don't forget to put down an answer for those questions that require a lot of set-up and just mark and skip them. I forget to do that sometimes and will end up spending far too much time on a particular question.

dentist_dude

Reaction score
I'm wondering how were you doing on Math destroyer

mroerdh22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how were you doing on Math destroyer
So, I went through destroyer once. It was good to help solidify some of the concepts. I never scored myself with destroyer. I worked through them at my own pace but found boot camp way more constructive with the online format.

mroerdh22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Were those QR scores from Bootcamp? if so, was it similar in terms of how they word the questions? Also, were there many trig questions?
The QR scores were from Bootcamp. It was similar in how they worded questions and at times I felt it was almost identical in format. There were 3-4 trig questions on my test.

Alpha Centauri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The QR scores were from Bootcamp. It was similar in how they worded questions and at times I felt it was almost identical in format. There were 3-4 trig questions on my test.
You think you got a 17 only because you missed those last 8 questions? The 2007 dat says a 17 is 22-23 right, but the 2009 one says 26-28 or something like that is a 17. Just trying to see how many you think you got wrong vs your 17 score

mroerdh22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You think you got a 17 only because you missed those last 8 questions? The 2007 dat says a 17 is 22-23 right, but the 2009 one says 26-28 or something like that is a 17. Just trying to see how many you think you got wrong vs your 17 score
Well, obviously I had to get more wrong than just the 8 I clicked "C" on. I wasn't implying that was all I missed, that would be foolish.

Freakoutfrank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Yeah I was wondering about a specific amount of questions to hit. I know every test is different and scales do vary, but I was hoping I could at least shoot for 28-30 correct answers. Dont really understand these scales, theyre so fluent in different sections while theyre extremely harsh in others (i.e Ochem).

Freakoutfrank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always get anywhere between 28-31 I'm assuming this translates to 18-20?
I have done all math destroyer and like 7 BC and I still can't improve! I don't want this section to ruin my AA

Yeah I feel you. I think thats the million dollar question. I mean hitting 28+ questions correct may translate onto 17-18 in some tests, while those SAME scores may translate to less in others tests. I feel like if you are hitting at least 3o questions correct consistently I would roll the dice and go for it. In my case is scary that im ony averaging 22-24 answers correct per exam, I just feel that im already on edge and cant make any more mistakes, now imagine im handed a hard version and then i make dumb mistakes here and there, Id be done. This is why i want to go in at least scoring a consistent 30/40 correct in practice scores.

dentist_dude

Reaction score
Yeah I feel you. I think thats the million dollar question. I mean hitting 28+ questions correct may translate onto 17-18 in some tests, while those SAME scores may translate to less in others tests. I feel like if you are hitting at least 3o questions correct consistently I would roll the dice and go for it. In my case is scary that im ony averaging 22-24 answers correct per exam, I just feel that im already on edge and cant make any more mistakes, now imagine im handed a hard version and then i make dumb mistakes here and there, Id be done. This is why i want to go in at least scoring a consistent 30/40 correct in practice scores.
Just keep practicing I started out with like 17 correct! Good luck