Lost in Sadness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajad10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need emotional support and advice:

PS - 14
VR - 7
BS - 11
WS - Q

3.91 GPA
3.92 BCPM

extracurriculars in mdapps link

So just got my scores - that 7 in verbal - didn't see it coming, i never even scored that low on practice tests, i was scoring 10's...no idea what happened.

So the question now is: retake in August? or just go with it or wait another year to apply because im only 20.

Members don't see this ad.

no buddy, solid score of 32 w/ Amazing GPA! Cheer up. Every med school, including the most selective ones, takes students w/ 7s and 6s on a section. Your strengths make up for it. CELEBRATE!!!

rajad10 said:

PS - 14
VR - 7
BS - 11
WS - Q

3.91 GPA
3.92 BCPM

So just got my scores - that 7 in verbal - didn't see it coming, i never even scored that low on practice tests, i was scoring 10's...no idea what happened.

So the question now is: retake in August? or just go with it or wait another year to apply because im only 20.

Let the flaming begin...

Members don't see this ad :)
rajad10 said:

PS - 14
VR - 7
BS - 11
WS - Q

3.91 GPA
3.92 BCPM

i know your pissed about that 7, I would be too.....but you are def gonna get into schools with that score. 14 in PS, thats ridiculous...cheer up man, I wouldn't take it again if I were you...

That's a good score but that 7 raises a red flag. Be ready to answer to why you got that score. I think your other scores make up for it though, so I think you'll do fine.

princessd3 said:
That's a good score but that 7 raises a red flag. Be ready to answer to why you got that score. I think your other scores make up for it though, so I think you'll do fine.

Not really similar but broke down myself.

11-PS, 6-VR, 11-BS.......never scored that low on verbal and was averaging in the 11's in my last three tests, AAMC 7,8,9.

What do yall think?

I am sorry Man!

That 7 must hurt. However that 14 is god like, and 32 is a very respectable score.

I am sure this score won't crush your dreams of becoming a doctor, and you will be able to get in somewhere, but it might mean your top choice school isn't as much in reach as you thought it might be.

However, you have the makings of a really good PS, your GPA is solid and a 32 is still a good score.

So cheer up and consider this before thinking about taking on the roulette of the August MCAT.

:luck:

princessd3 said:

ditto! go for it...and maybe overcompensate with a wonderfully-written personal statement and secondary essays!

Normally, I'd say a 32 is so solid that you'd be crazy to retake. However, I can understand your worries. You have a very lopsided distribution and that will probably hurt you in the process.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and apply, don't retake just yet. I'm pretty sure you'll get in, what with your very nice GPA and an overall solid score (plus a 14 on PS!!). But apply high and low. Don't focus only on the top schools, make sure to have lower tiered schools, and suck up to your state school.

If, for some reason, you are not seeing acceptances by next year, THEN maybe aim for April's MCAT. However, I think your low verbal can be compensated by an excellent personal statement and secondary essays.

thanks guys for the encouragement. I think im gonna go ahead and apply tommorow and think long and hard about retaking in august. i know i can do better, i never got below a 10 on verbal for any practice test. must've been the nerves.

rajad10 said:

PS - 14
VR - 7
BS - 11
WS - Q

3.91 GPA
3.92 BCPM

I was in a similiar boat last April. (8 VR, 12 PS, 13 BS, Q), with a 3.87, 3.90 BCPM. I cried during score release night, and was ready to retake it (and started a similiar thread). The very next day after I got my MCAT scores and GPA, I talked to my premed counselor. She said my scores were ok to apply with even though I pointed out the low VR score. However, she did say anything less than a 8 in any section, it would be a good idea to retake. I applied to 24 schools (all tiers), got 15 interviews, 4 acceptances (all tiers, I interview withdrew from 5 schools as well). I think its definitely doable with a 7 on VR if you got less-competitive state schools. However, I would retake especially if you are confidant if you can get a higher score. Oh yeah, be prepared to respond why you got a low VR score. (I got asked at 3 interviews, all 3 schools I got acceptances).

The post above says it perfectly. I would only be concerned if you were applying to Canadian med schools which have absolute cutoffs. Otherwise, go forth and apply.