Lost relationship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwaranch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had been dating this girl for 3 years and liked her a lot. She will be starting her soph year of college when I start medical school in August. We had been off and on her feelings for me were kind of dropping off even though mine werent. We started getting serious again though then when I asked if she wants to stay with me she said no doesnt want to do the distance thing and is talking to someone else :( The other guy is a senior in high school to that lives in her hometown 8 hours away. Kinda sucks losing her.

Members don't see this ad.

I had been dating this girl for 3 years and liked her a lot. She will be starting her soph year of college when I start medical school in August. We had been off and on her feelings for me were kind of dropping off even though mine werent. We started getting serious again though then when I asked if she wants to stay with me she said no doesnt want to do the distance thing and is talking to someone else :( The other guy is a senior in high school to that lives in her hometown 8 hours away. Kinda sucks losing her.

55556666.png

Keep in mind, you're the one going to medical school... :thumbup:

I have had this crap happen to me. Dude look at it this way, in med school you can date other potential doctors! Catch my drift? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey man, I think we have all been where you are. It sucks, but people change. If she can't see your end goal and the extremely comfortable and loving life you are able to give her, then she's trash. She's not good enough for you. You are obviously someone who has a ton of stuff going for them and if she can't see it, then you tell her to take a hike. There will be plenty of women later on as you move on in your career that will appreciate you more.

It may suck a ton right now, but finding someone else won't be too hard. Just try to keep your confidence up.

Haha thank you all. Ive got those stupid kinds of thoughts now like no one else is as good and i wont meet anyone else. I know thats stupid. Its hard to because between now and med school all I have is a job i just started. I graduated college so its a whole new world now and a lot of my friends moved away after they finished college. Plus its the holidays lol man i complain a lot.

"I'm sorry, Elaine. I always knew that after I became a doctor, I would dump whoever I was with and find someone better. That's the dream of becoming a doctor."

Been there, but she's only, what, 19 or 20? She's got a lot of maturing to do. You, my friend, are going to medical school to become a doctor. Look ahead. The future is bright.

Haha thank you all. Ive got those stupid kinds of thoughts now like no one else is as good and i wont meet anyone else. I know thats stupid. Its hard to because between now and med school all I have is a job i just started. I graduated college so its a whole new world now and a lot of my friends moved away after they finished college. Plus its the holidays lol man i complain a lot.

Are you going to complain that your bed is too hard next, or that your water heater doesn't warm the water enough? Just playin. But seriously, in some way or another, most people have been there. Look at it this way, FREEEDOM. I've said it about my own situation before. I miss having a girl in my life, but at the same time, I have a life again. If she's really not into you, then trying to make it work is a drag (and quite tiring). Go out, have fun. Spend time with the co-workers. Make the best of it, because in 8 months you'll be rocking life as a med student.

Lol ya she really does need to mature a lot. I guess im just ready for bigger and better things. It does suck being stuck for 8 months though. Feel like im wasting a lot of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Work on your grammar, focus on medical school, and don't come to SDN for relationship advice.

She's not trash, and this is nobody's fault (as someone who just went through this, except after a relationship of 5 years). Sometimes feelings just disappear, and there's nothing you can do about it. It's better you realized this now than later. Sometimes those feelings come back and so people stick with it, but when one of you is moving away the deal is pretty much sealed.

Here, have some English hipster music.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH5cga0yUI[/YOUTUBE]

Is she hot enough to make begging for her to come back worth it?

Hey cwaranch, I'm sorry to hear about this...you'll get over it man, it's just a matter of time. Good luck in med school, I don't know if I'll be seeing you at KCUMB next year or not, but either way, you're going to do great. Just keep your head up, and keep fighting the good fight.

Cwar I remember you from the 4/16 MCAT thread. All I can say is that life-wise, you are about to jump onto a rocketship. There is so much potential for the future, and you are buckled up for a craaaaazy ride from here on out. Hold on to hope for the future if it helps.

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging words. Im really impressed with how much people are willing to reach out. All of your words helped me to have a lot better of a day and ill probably read them everyday when im feeling down. It really helps to look to the future and know I wont be alone forever. Plus I have all of my future doctors in here! Were all in this together.

Been there. It sucks. It always gets better/goes away though. You'll be alright. Those thoughts about how that person is the only one that great that you'll ever find are very common/normal, and very untrue. I've thought that before, so has everyone. It gets better. Why talk about it on SDN though? I'm sure your friends would be more supportive, and their words would have more meaning since they know you and you know them.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and just cause someone doesn't have those feelings for you anymore DOES NOT mean that there's anything wrong with you. There are SO many things that have to fall into place in order to create that attraction, and it depends on a lot more than the other person being awesome. Think about it... there are a ton of women that I respect, find physically attractive, and think are awesome people, but don't have romantic feelings for. Not because there's anything wrong with them, it's just not there.

I have had this crap happen to me. Dude look at it this way, in med school you can date other potential doctors! Catch my drift? ;)

:confused: they will be really good at prostrate exams?

It's totally normal to feel down and a little depressed about someone, even if she's already talking to another dude. I would think about the girl daily and get depressed, which happened for nearly a year. In the end, you just have to look at yourself in the mirror and say "That's life; I can't get everything I want." All you can do is move forward and improve yourself and accomplish are your goals. Handle it. :thumbup: