Lost suit pants! Interview tomorrow! Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nugget12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey so i somehow lost my suit pants on the way to my hotel room in ny. i luckily have a pair of very nice kakis and brown shoes that matches the jacket and tie very nicely. it looks great together.

however, this is not a suit. how big of a deal is this? should i go buy light gray wool pants to put together ssome resemblence of a suit? or stick with my kaki matched outfit!?

i feel like such and idiot. through all the travel must have falling out of the bottom of my suit bag. for some reason mine has a flap at the bottom and is open.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, go buy some new pants, and then return them afterwards! Med. school interviews are important, this is an easy fix!

Dude, go buy some new pants, and then return them afterwards! Med. school interviews are important, this is an easy fix!

i cant just buy the pants. i need to buy the whole suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
What color is your suit jacket? Honestly, if you think it looks ok together, you can wear it, but you will probably be the only person not in a suit. I doubt the admissions committee will hold it against you as long as you are professionally dressed.

see if you can find pants to match the jacket you have that are dressier than what you have or buy a new suit if you can (luckily being so close to xmas the stores are open later!) You don't want to have to tell an admissions person YOU lost the pants!

i cant just buy the pants. i need to buy the whole suit.

If the suit jacket is dark navy then khakis are probably ok. But I favor this idea, try to find a pair of matching pants and then return them. If not, I doubt interviewers honestly care that much (I've had interviewers who wear t-shirts and jeans, which makes me feel weird sitting there in a suit and tie).
-Roy

If the suit jacket is dark navy then khakis are probably ok. But I favor this idea, try to find a pair of matching pants and then return them. If not, I doubt interviewers honestly care that much (I've had interviewers who wear t-shirts and jeans, which makes me feel weird sitting there in a suit and tie).
-Roy

Walmart it if you have to

I lost my bag the day before my interview. I went to Macy's because they have pre-fitted suit pieces that you can buy on a piece wise basis. This means the pants are already hemmed! Get something that looks reasonably coherent with the jacket, OR I WOULD ARGUE you could go pants, shirt, and tie (no jacket)

I'm sure its been done, and roll your sleeves up like you mean business :laugh:

j/k about rolling the sleeves up

Personally, I would just wear the khakis and explain to my interviewers - I doubt they'll care anyway.

hey so i somehow lost my suit pants on the way to my hotel room in ny. i luckily have a pair of very nice kakis and brown shoes that matches the jacket and tie very nicely. it looks great together.

however, this is not a suit. how big of a deal is this? should i go buy light gray wool pants to put together ssome resemblence of a suit? or stick with my kaki matched outfit!?

i feel like such and idiot. through all the travel must have falling out of the bottom of my suit bag. for some reason mine has a flap at the bottom and is open.

First of all, relax. It's going to be OK.

OK, now that you know it's going to be OK, let's see what we can to make this even better than it has to be.

So, I guess the first question, can you afford to go out an buy new clothes? You'll certainly need to do so eventually, but now may not be the time. If money is an issue, just spend the evening watching TV or doing something you like (playing on the computer or whatever).

If it's not a financial issue, how easy is to find your size? If anything you buy is going to need to be altered, again, spend the evening watching TV or whatever.

OK, so if you're still with me, you are ready to blow a few hundred and you're average height and weight. Maybe you could go to a nearby mall with several departments stores and see if you can find a suit that fits reasonably well. It's probably not going to happen because these things normally must be altered no matter what. However, bring your jacket and tie ... who knows ... maybe you can find some slacks that match closely. In this case, I would at least try to find some pants.

If you are going to wear the khakis, I would say nothing about it and act like you had planned to wear this all along. If your interviewer asks, you can tell the story; otherwise, it gets no mention. Just act like you are a khaki wearing kind of guy. They may look at you a little funny but the impact will be minimal. Look at it this way ... you'll be memorable and if you come across like a decent person it's going to be OK.

Last edited:
This is not a big deal. Yes it's not ideal, but you'll be fine. The manner in which you conduct yourself and the answers you give during your interview(s) will be much more important. Don't worry about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen interviewers wearing khakis with a nice sports coat. or suit coat. i wouldn't worry too much about it provided that the color the jacket goes with the pants.

one of the residents i work with told me that during his interviews he wore khakis and a sportscoat.. set him apart, but he said he was a lot more comfortable. he ended up getting into duke...

First of all if you do decide to wear the Khakis do not feel that you need to explain... If as you so it looks great...

Personally, I would go out and buy an entire suite or matching pants...

I have only had one interview so far, but don't own a suit and didn't feel the need to buy one. I wore a light yellow shirt, blue and gold tie, blue sportcoat, khaki slacks, and brown loafers. No one commented on this, and I got in a few days later. I was the only one there not in a suit though, which made me a little self conscious at first, but I figured maybe it made me stand out. And I got in, so who cares. I would definitely not go buy pants just for an interview, especially planning on returning them.

I've been told it's fine to show up at interviews in professional business attire that might not necessarily be a matching suit (for female dress). But I am assuming the same would be fine for males as well.

I don't think anyone but your fellow interviewees will care. At the several interviews I've been to, the interviewers didn't seem to care at all about how I dressed-- if it's professional and looks like you give a **** about your interview, it'll come across and they'll probably make a subconscious checkmark about your attire and seriousness toward the process.

All this business about making sure your suit fits perfectly, letting a little bit of the shirt show past your suit sleeve etc is all just for you and you alone (boost your confidence). Beyond looking professional, it's all about how YOU feel. :thumbup:

I love how people can't seem to function in society without consulting SDN.

I'm sure its been done, and roll your sleeves up like you mean business :laugh:

Then if the interviewer asks you a difficult question, or a question you don't really want to answer, just look them in the eye menacingly, make a fist, and start cracking your knuckles loudly...
:D
-Roy

Then if the interviewer asks you a difficult question, or a question you don't really want to answer, just look them in the eye menacingly, make a fist, and start cracking your knuckles loudly...
:D
-Roy

why do people sign their names at the end of posts like that. we can see who is posting by the user name to the left of the post.

1. freak out
2. don't buy a suit b/c of a mistake/accident. its just the interview of your life.
3. explain your situation in a well drafted statement that is emailed, cc'd and bc'd to the admissions dir. interviewers, and dean of the school

OR

grow a pair, wear your khakis, rock your interview, have fun, and realize that things happen.

if you can show them that you didn't freak out about pants and still interview well, i think you can handle med school.

fix one problem, on to the next.

I love how people can't seem to function in society without consulting SDN.

Nothing wrong with that! I like to consult with SDN on every aspect of my life. ;)

To the OP, I say just go pantless. It's a way to really separate yourself from all those other boring pre-meds in suits. Seriously, though, I see nothing wrong with khakis.

If you have the opportunity, I would buy another suit. Unless you've already got an acceptance somewhere and are just checking this school out for the hey of it, I personally wouldn't take any chances if I didn't have to. If you have the opportunity to fix a potential problem, fix it and stomach the cost. That being said, if you can't fix it, then just go with it and own the situation with a candid smile and an understanding that it's not ideal. If you are forced into a situation where you couldn't wear a suit, be confident, go with the flow of the situation as naturally as you can, but also make it clear (subtly) that you would have liked to be in a suit. As Russell peters would have said, "Bee A MAN." :p

1. freak out
2. don't buy a suit b/c of a mistake/accident. its just the interview of your life.
3. explain your situation in a well drafted statement that is emailed, cc'd and bc'd to the admissions dir. interviewers, and dean of the school

OR

grow a pair, wear your khakis, rock your interview, have fun, and realize that things happen.

if you can show them that you didn't freak out about pants and still interview well, i think you can handle med school.

fix one problem, on to the next.

um, if the OP could simply grow a pair of suit pants, he wouldn't be in this dilemma

...that's what you meant, right?

why do people sign their names at the end of posts like that. we can see who is posting by the user name to the left of the post.

probably the same reason people sign their names at the end of emails.

I don't think anyone but your fellow interviewees will care. At the several interviews I've been to, the interviewers didn't seem to care at all about how I dressed-- if it's professional and looks like you give a **** about your interview, it'll come across and they'll probably make a subconscious checkmark about your attire and seriousness toward the process.

All this business about making sure your suit fits perfectly, letting a little bit of the shirt show past your suit sleeve etc is all just for you and you alone (boost your confidence). Beyond looking professional, it's all about how YOU feel. :thumbup:

were you expecting people to express publicly if they agree or disagree with what you are wearing.

to OP: you are going to an interview to gain access to professional school. dress how you feel is appropriate.

oh and how exactly did you lose a pair of pants from the lobby to your room? sounds like an interesting story

does no one find it fishy that he lost his suit pants somehow and had magically packed very nice khakis and brown shoes to match? did anyone else pack nice khakis and an extra pair of brown dress shoes to their interviews?

does no one find it fishy that he lost his suit pants somehow and had magically packed very nice khakis and brown shoes to match? did anyone else pack nice khakis and an extra pair of brown dress shoes to their interviews?

i had arranged to meet with a professor the day before to discuss research options. for this meeting i thought a suit would be inappropriate. thus, i had the second option.

Or e-mails for that matter, it's not like I can read what address they sent it from with their name at the top of the page or anything right?

wear the nicest shirt and tie you can find and go without pants!!!!!!!!