SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

lot of mixed opinions... MCAT vs AMCAS, which first

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kazza2ud, May 26, 2008.

1. kazza2ud

kazza2ud 5+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I'm sorry if this is really redundant, there are many threads that ask this question, but the answers contradict each other.

I want to focus on the MCAT. I heard it takes 3 weeks or so for scores to get released. I figured I could do my AMCAS immediately after I take the MCAT and the timelines would line up well.

Then I heard if you submit your AMCAS before taking the MCAT, your application would actually get processed earlier. A friend added that you can indicate on the AMCAS that you are taking an MCAT in the future.. and that's the best way to do it.

I'm pressed for time (obviously). I don't even know how much time the AMCAS would take, but I figure if I do that first it may push my MCAT date back, and at this point I'm already thinking August -- I want to do really well.

Is it worth the time? Or can I work on my AMCAS while my MCAT is being scored and released? What is the consensus?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. reezer4

reezer4 Science is tricky. 2+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2007
    You can start working on the AMCAS now- the application for 2009 is open. I've found that working on AMCAS is a good study break, plus you have to send in all your transcripts and get LORs ready so you don't want to wait till the last minute.

I am curious about everyone's opinion on whether to submit the AMCAS before the MCAT scores are in (I took it last year but I want to improve my score and won't be taking it till August).

There is another thread that talks about which schools will even consider your app without a current MCAT score, so for you it may depend on where you are applying.
  4. Alfred E Newman

Alfred E Newman

May 16, 2008
    When is your MCAT date?
  5. BluePhoenix

BluePhoenix 5+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Well, really it depends on when you're taking the MCAT and what you do better. Ideally, you want to have both done by the end of August, and since they're not going to finish processing your AMCAS until you take the MCAT, it doesn't really matter which you take care of first.

I'd say focus on the MCAT and try and take it by mid-July at the latest if possible. That still gives you up to a month and a half to prepare. Then work on your AMCAS. It's really not that hard of an application and if you've got a recent resume or CV, then it's pretty much a piece of cake, aside from the personal statement. You can always take a break every few days and write a little bit that you think you might want to go into it and then after the MCAT, work on putting what you've written into a nice essay format.

You probably want to fill out at least the personal information part now though, and make sure you submit your transcripts and get LOR ASAP because you don't want to be holding up any secondaries because you don't have your LOR yet.