Lots of clinical hours... but what next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mblemp

Reaction score
Asking for a friend

3.5 GPA, preparing for the MCAT, likely applying in 2022 or 2023 assuming all goes well with the MCAT.
Went to community college for a couple of years (edit: cc for financial reasons) then transferred to a university and graduating at 24 next month.
supported oneself through working as an EMT for an ambulance company and event EMT service since 2018, so a few thousand hours of paid clinical work/patient exposure.
one < 1-year long leadership role in a fraternity.

question: what would be the best thing for this person to do to bolster application? not interested in research. definitely going to get 40-100 hours shadowing once shadowing is allowed again. possibly interested in doing a Master's, but unsure what kind.

meeting with this person next week to talk through next steps but I'm a bit unsure and want to come prepared with ideas from more objective sources (i feel pretty biased since i know him well and don't want to lead him astray).

thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Asking for a friend

3.5 GPA, preparing for the MCAT, likely applying in 2022 or 2023 assuming all goes well with the MCAT.
Went to community college for a couple of years then transferred to a university and graduating at 24 next month.
supported oneself through working as an EMT for an ambulance company and event EMT service since 2018, so a few thousand hours of paid clinical work/patient exposure.
one < 1-year long leadership role in a fraternity.

question: what would be the best thing for this person to do to bolster application? not interested in research. definitely going to get 40-100 hours shadowing once shadowing is allowed again. possibly interested in doing a Master's, but unsure what kind.

meeting with this person next week to talk through next steps but I'm a bit unsure and want to come prepared with ideas from more objective sources (i feel pretty biased since i know him well and don't want to lead him astray). thank you in advance!
Definitely needs volunteering experience. Was there a reason they went to community College first? Medical schools usually want a reason why due to the stereotype of ccs being easier. For me it was because of financial reasons as well as a substandard education from my high school that would have gotten me rejected from universities. If they have a reason like that they should be good

Reactions: 1 user