jetsfan1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
What is the MOST interviews you have ever heard of someone having, without getting accepted anywhere?

I have 8 interviews total. Had 5 already, and 3 more to go. 2 waitlists, 0 acceptances, 0 rejections. I thought the interviews went well, but I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, so...I think I probably bombed them without realizing it.

Worried I'm going to set a record for lowest acceptance:interview ratio of all time.

Jun 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you haven't heard anything from a school it usually means they haven't decided the disposition of your app yet, not that you bombed the interview (then you'd have a waitlist or rejection in hand). I'm sure some programs might wait to send those out, but it's unlikely all 3 are doing it. Your file probably hasn't gone to the adcom yet. Everything slows between Thanksgiving & new years, because of scheduling conflicts this time of year. And even if others who interviewed on your date have a decision, don't underestimate the impact of interviewers who are late to give the Adcom their feedback (common problem w some systems/people).

In the interim, just try to be insightful about what you think would be good to do differently. Do you have any particular problems you now are thinking you may have had in the interviews?

OP
jetsfan1234

jetsfan1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
If you haven't heard anything from a school it usually means they haven't decided the disposition of your app yet, not that you bombed the interview (then you'd have a waitlist or rejection in hand). I'm sure some programs might wait to send those out, but it's unlikely all 3 are doing it. Your file probably hasn't gone to the adcom yet. Everything slows between Thanksgiving & new years, because of scheduling conflicts this time of year. And even if others who interviewed on your date have a decision, don't underestimate the impact of interviewers who are late to give the Adcom their feedback (common problem w some systems/people).

In the interim, just try to be insightful about what you think would be good to do differently. Do you have any particular problems you now are thinking you may have had in the interviews?
I don't know what I'm doing wrong...except I will say this, so far 2 of my interviewers have directly commented that I appear nervous. However, I'm not nervous at all! I feel confident and ready, yet they tell me I look nervous. I really think it's just how my face looks or something, lol. I don't know how to fix that!!

Dec 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Smile more and make sure you have good posture (no slouching on the chair for example). Body language can send a signal to the interviwers that can be different from your internal feelings. One thing you can do is do a mock interview so the person can note if you are doing something to indicate nervousness such as a tick like moving your hands or something, or videotape yourself and look for any red flags.

OP
jetsfan1234

jetsfan1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Smile more and make sure you have good posture (no slouching on the chair for example). Body language can send a signal to the interviwers that can be different from your internal feelings. One thing you can do is do a mock interview so the person can note if you are doing something to indicate nervousness such as a tick like moving your hands or something, or videotape yourself and look for any red flags.
Thanks. I had a mock interview with my premed committee, and they said I did great and should have no problems getting into schools. That's why I feel so confused about what's happened so far. Thanks for the advice, I will try to smile more.

Dec 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Theres still a lot of time left to the cycle so you should be good. You still have 3 more interviews and waiting to hear from 3 others that can possibly be acceptances. Plus waitlist spots can also lead to acceptance. Had you had all 8 interviwes and had 2 waitlists and 6 rejections that be something else but that's not the case. Just keep doing your thing.

Reactions: T3ckFr3s
Nov 8, 2013
I've only had 2 interviews and they've resulted in 2 waitlists. I WISH I was in your position with 2 waitlists + 3 decisions + 3 interviews.

pDeluxe

5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'm at 5 interviews, 2 waitlists, with 2 schools release decisions later and 1 interview pending. It's tough reading about other people's acceptances with none of your own, but I'm staying confident.

nyc1990

5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2013
Status
Medical Student
4 interviews, 2 waitlists, 2 schools decision pending. Anyone else in a similar boat? With some math, my chances would appear to be ~80% of getting in at least somewhere, right? o_O

Jennyfishy

5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2013
WI
Status
Medical Student
I think I saw around 9 interviews last year (someone I knew), who had all rejections and waitlists that lasted until the very last day and turned into rejections. He joined the navy afterwards, haha. Good luck though! There's still hope as long as no final decision has been made ;)

May 28, 2013
north east
Status
Medical Student
What is the MOST interviews you have ever heard of someone having, without getting accepted anywhere?

I have 8 interviews total. Had 5 already, and 3 more to go. 2 waitlists, 0 acceptances, 0 rejections. I thought the interviews went well, but I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, so...I think I probably bombed them without realizing it.

Worried I'm going to set a record for lowest acceptance:interview ratio of all time.
There's still plenty of time! Do you know if those 3 schools you're waiting on have released decisions yet?

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
I don't know what I'm doing wrong...except I will say this, so far 2 of my interviewers have directly commented that I appear nervous. However, I'm not nervous at all! I feel confident and ready, yet they tell me I look nervous. I really think it's just how my face looks or something, lol. I don't know how to fix that!!
Botox bro. You'll never look nervous again.

ellealla

5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
I'm worrying the same thing. Out of the 9 places that I've interviewed so far, I've gotten 3 rejections and haven't heard from the others...but what scares me is that the 3 rejections were from my 3 "safety" schools that I REALLY thought I would get in to. ?!?!?!?!? why not at least a wait list?

OP
jetsfan1234

jetsfan1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
There's still plenty of time! Do you know if those 3 schools you're waiting on have released decisions yet?
One of them has, and it was a huge reach for me anyway, so I'm considering that a rejection. The other two have not released for my interview date yet.

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
I'm worrying the same thing. Out of the 9 places that I've interviewed so far, I've gotten 3 rejections and haven't heard from the others...but what scares me is that the 3 rejections were from my 3 "safety" schools that I REALLY thought I would get in to. ?!?!?!?!? why not at least a wait list?
I say this knowing nothing about you except the fact that you have gotten lots of interviews ;) but I have some insight from my mom who has worked in residency admissions at a top program and at a low ranked program. She said that the major downfall of qualified applicants at the low tier program was appearing arrogant in subtle...and not so subtle...ways. This arrogance was an immediate turn off at the low ranked program but not a deal breaker at the highly ranked program. The highly ranked program wanted the best and the lower ranked program wanted the nicest and humblest.

Maybe your attitude made it clear that you thought the three schools you got rejected from were your safeties?

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Lol. I'm a girl...and I think I suffer from the unfortunate affliction known as BRF (bitchy resting face). sucks....
I feel your pain, as I suffer from dingus Resting Face, or ARF, the male equivalent. Unlike many sufferers, I am, in fact, an dingus.

This thread did give me an idea though. Go into derm and market Brotox. Untapped market potential here I come!

Great White Buffalo

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
No one can read the mind of an ad com. Breathe, take stock, move on to the schools you still have a chance. Don't worry about what you can't change, look forward. Good Luck,

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I think the hard reality is that schools factor in their yield when deciding to accept applicants.

If you're way more competitive than their typical applicant, the burden is on you to make the case that you're strongly interested in the program.

Frankly, there's just no way to fake genuine interest in a school. If you view it as a safety school or beneath you, it will definitely come off in some way. Even if you are open to the idea of attending the school, that may not be enough in an application cycle as competitive as this one.

My 2c.

OP
jetsfan1234

jetsfan1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I think the hard reality is that schools factor in their yield when deciding to accept applicants.

If you're way more competitive than their typical applicant, the burden is on you to make the case that you're strongly interested in the program.

Frankly, there's just no way to fake genuine interest in a school. If you view it as a safety school or beneath you, it will definitely come off in some way. Even if you are open to the idea of attending the school, that may not be enough in an application cycle as competitive as this one.

My 2c.
I'm HIGHLY interested in all schools that are 1) MD granting and 2) within the 48 contiguous United States of America

Is that a bad answer??

Apr 23, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'm HIGHLY interested in all schools that are 1) MD granting and 2) within the 48 contiguous United States of America

Is that a bad answer??
Yes, it is. Ideally you need to express interest in the specific school, their programs, their mission, or at least their geographic area. If you're going to be moving regions it can be especially important.

I've lived my entire life in the northeastern corridor and I've gotten pushback at some of my interviews in the midwest/south along the lines of 'would you really come here' (subtext)...I am totally willing to move to those areas but I don't know if it comes through! It's frustrating. But just the act of applying is not enough to say you've shown interest, unfortunately.

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student

Is that a bad answer??
A subtle theme I've noticed in all my interviews is that the vast majority of interviewees give off a desperate vibe bordering on subtle pleading. I'm somewhat joking of course, but not really. If you got this base covered, then it's just the way it goes (I think this process is terrible, btw).

But I think SN12357 has a valid point.

OP
jetsfan1234

jetsfan1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, it is. Ideally you need to express interest in the specific school, their programs, their mission, or at least their geographic area. If you're going to be moving regions it can be especially important.
lol, I know...I was joking. But deep down, that is truthfully what I feel like saying sometimes. Why would I quit my full-time career and cause myself to go broke with application fees, transportation, and hotel costs if I wasn't interested?!

Jun 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
One of them has, and it was a huge reach for me anyway, so I'm considering that a rejection. The other two have not released for my interview date yet.
You really shouldn't stress over this assumption. After interviews, your interviewers have to do something like fill out a paper form, fill out an online eval, or I suppose go to the adcom meeting in person. Regardless of which system a school uses, someone doesn't play well with it -- they stick the form in their pocket and walk off with it; they can't figure out how to log into the online system; they have a patient emergency and miss the meeting. Then someone from the admissions office will have to nag them by email, phone, or by tracking them down until the situation is rectified. Surely, sometimes a meeting runs out of time before they've made decisions on everybody they planned to review that day.

. . . so, it is not by any means unheard of to not have a decision at the same time as other people who interviewed with/after you.

I had just such a problem with my interview at the school I was accepted to and now attend. They promised a response in x weeks, and I waited to x+3. I was not waitlisted prior to my admission.