Lots of paid clinical experience, no volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pose

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been discussed -- I tried to search. If it has, linking me would be great.

Anyhow, I am taking the MCAT in April, and applying this cycle. I graduated two years ago in economics, even though I was premed the entire time. Finished my prerequisites last semester in an informal postbacc (all but orgo 2, which I will take after the MCAT). I have worked full time as an ED tech since my freshman year, or six years now. I just quit my job and completed a hike of the Appalachian Trail for a charity. I have absolutely no volunteer experience. I do have shadowing experience, but with docs I work with, so that may seem fishy.

Will the lack of actual volunteering hurt me? I can start something within the next month if I should, while doing the SN2ED schedule.

Thanks

Edit: my ECs in general are weak. No clubs, etc. but was a preceptor and on many committees at the hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's a big red flag if you don't have any clinical volunteering, but it is definitely a red flag if you have NO volunteering whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do hope to do some volunteering between mid January and June, just hope that it doesn't look too bad that I started just before my application.

Thanks for the link and input guys.

i didn't have any clinical volunteering, only non-clinical. if you are fending for yourself, it can be hard to do any volunteering.

People like to make a big deal out of volunteering. However, it won't make you a good doctor and anyone with a pulse can do it so it won't set you apart. Grades and MCAT are way more important to worry about, so focus on your test coming up.