Lots of people in class failed step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sieteocho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard on the grapevine that 10 students from last year's class failed the step 1. Not sure as to how those students did in class. Class size was around 140. I attend a US MD school that is not historically black (e.g. not howard, etc). Isn't this number a bit high? I am a bit concerned since I will be taking the exam in June.

Members don't see this ad.

10 does seem high to me. But I'd honestly take a few practice NBMEs and see how you do. If you've worked hard to learn the material, and you feel you're learning it well, then I wouldn't let past stats psych you out for no reason.

It's a wee bit on the high side, but every class contains different people and there may be other variables of which you're unaware; and I truly feel the onus of how one does on Step relies much more on the individual than the school. You also heard this via the rumor mill, so....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quite high for any school. This would get on LCME's radar fast, and not in a good way.

I heard on the grapevine that 10 students from last year's class failed the step 1. Not sure as to how those students did in class. Class size was around 140. I attend a US MD school that is not historically black (e.g. not howard, etc). Isn't this number a bit high? I am a bit concerned since I will be taking the exam in June.

2/10 Troll.
How am i trolling? those schools dont accept just off of merit, so it would make more sense if people at those schools failed over a school that does accept objectively.

Reactions: 4 users
How am i trolling? those schools dont accept just off of merit, so it would make more sense if people at those schools failed over a school that does accept objectively.

Lol, they don't accept objectively? Ok you have no evidence for that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Quite high for any school. This would get on LCME's radar fast, and not in a good way.
do you think they notice that kind of thing?

Curious to see what the percent pass rate is at every school for Step I, II CK and especially II CS

Reactions: 1 user
Lol, they don't accept objectively? Ok you have no evidence for that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They show preference to blacks and i can show evidence but its off topic and frankly i couldnt care less about that right now.

Reactions: 3 users
They show preference to blacks and i can show evidence but its off topic and frankly i couldnt care less about that right now.

Can you PM me that evidence please?
Not the fact that they show pereference to african american, but the evidence that shows those schools have higher step 1 fail rates than other schools

Reactions: 2 users

Curious to see what the percent pass rate is at every school for Step I, II CK and especially II CS
If OP isn't a troll, the fail rate for that class at his school is about 7%. My school's tends to hover around 0-2%, though the highest I'm aware of at my school in the past ~15 years is about 6%. So, while higher it doesn't seem terribly outlandish IMHO.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you PM me that evidence please?
Not the fact that they show pereference to african american, but the evidence that shows those schools have higher step 1 fail rates than other schools
Meharry's website states that the first time pass rate for step 1 was 88% and their pass rate for step 2 CK was 82% in 2014.
https://www.mmc.edu/_modules/events/didyouknow2.html

I have no clue about the other HBCUs though.

Schools have to report these things (and a lot more to thier accreditors). COCA got on our case (and others) for not having enough study space.

"Overall pass rates for USMLE Step 1 test takers in 2013-2014 are: 95% for U.S. M.D. medical school graduates (97% in first-time takers), 94% for U.S. D.O. osteopathic medical school graduates (94% in first-time takers), and 72% for international medical school graduates (79% for first-time takers)."

The 92% is low, but probably not bad enough to raise any major alarms unless it's a regular thing.

Also, an old source but it shows data on Morehouse, one of the HBCs, doing very well with their step 1 pass rates (98%):http://msmintra.msm.edu/Libraries/Docs_TitleIII/Act_II_Summary_3.sflb.ashx

Let me guess... You go to the University of Mississippi? Or ND? 28 MCAT average accepting half of people applying? Gee... what could go wrong?

Last edited:
I mean, I won't disagree that affirmative action could have the potential to bring down the average stats of a class (I'm not really sure how it shakes out in reality for medical schools).

That said, it's a bit weird that you are simultaneously concerned about failing Step 1 and pretentious enough to try to distinguish yourself from "those other schools that select based on things other than merit."

Reactions: 8 users
I mean, I won't disagree that affirmative action could have the potential to bring down the average stats of a class (I'm not really sure how it shakes out in reality for medical schools).

That said, it's a bit weird that you are simultaneously concerned about failing Step 1 and pretentious enough to try to distinguish yourself from "those other schools that select based on things other than merit."
Yes, exactly. OP, for a future physician your lack of self awareness is pretty pathetic. Even is what you say has an element of truth you need to recognize the context in which you say things and learn some tact at the very least.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, exactly. OP, for a future physician your lack of self awareness is pretty pathetic. Even is what you say has an element of truth you need to recognize the context in which you say things and learn some tact at the very least.
I don't know. Met lots of physicians that were total aholes. Of course, when you're post call all bets are off.

I don't know. Met lots of physicians that were total aholes. Of course, when you're post call all bets are off.

lol, what's your point? Is OP post call? Are total dinguses good role models? That's like saying, "Oh I dont know, having a few sips of scotch isn't that big a deal while piloting a plane. Met a lot of pilots that do that."

lol, what's your point? Is OP post call? Are total dinguses good role models? That's like saying, "Oh I dont know, having a few sips of scotch isn't that big a deal while piloting a plane. Met a lot of pilots that do that."
Guess I'll spell it out...
Lots of physicians have no tact and lack self awareness and come off as total dicks. When you're post call and tired, chances of acting like a dickhead are greatly increased.

Guess I'll spell it out...
Lots of physicians have no tact and lack self awareness and come off as total dicks. When you're post call and tired, chances of acting like a dickhead are greatly increased.
You literally just regurgitated that you just said. You have still not explained the point of your statement. You are suggesting that because other physicians do it that it is somehow OK. Is that your point? That it's OK to be an a-hole physician?

You literally just regurgitated that you just said. You have still not explained the point of your statement. You are suggesting that because other physicians do it that it is somehow OK. Is that your point? That it's OK to be an a-hole physician?
What? No. No it's not OK, but that's never stopped anyone from being a certain way.

You're way over thinking this.

When you hit third year, or maybe residency, it'll make more sense.

If you think that your collective class performance predicts your performance then you have the wrong mindset.

Some classes are "off" years. My class has 99% pass rate . the class above us has a 3%.

Having said that....yeah 7% is below average. I guess the thing to know is whether is a fluke or trend at your school.

My class had around 10 fails in ~150 people but the average was ~235 so I have no idea what to tell you. At least within my class scores correlated with performance on past exams with a third of the people doing very well and a long trailing edge.

Some classes are "off" years. My class has 99% pass rate . the class above us has a 3%.

If only 3% of your class passed, there is a real problem here.

holy crap so 12 % failed step 1 and then 18 % failed step 2.... jesus
Those numbers are high AND reversed. I thought more people failed Step 1 than 2.

Wow... and an 84% match rate.

It is because of the political correctness displayed in this thread that has cost America its position as a world leader. Nobody say anything factual and hide behind false pleasantries yet harbor ill-intent personally and behind each others backs.

It is because of the political correctness displayed in this thread that has cost America its position as a world leader. Nobody say anything factual and hide behind false pleasantries yet harbor ill-intent personally and behind each others backs.
I'm sorry the US didn't become an Aryan haven :shrug:

It is because of this post that you come off as hyperbolic and easily triggered.

Reactions: 2 users
If there's one thing I want to read when I come to the allopathic med student forum it's vague, racially charged bull**** posted by pre-podiatry students. :thumbup:

Reactions: 6 users
Wow this went south. I guess I've got nothing to lose now. You guys that are complaining are probably also salty that Trump will be your new president huh?

Wow this went south. I guess I've got nothing to lose now. You guys that are complaining are probably also salty that Trump will be your new president huh?
CommentPhotos.com_1392845630.jpg

By your fourth post, too. Strong work.