Air Force Lots of Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamyaw00

Reaction score
Hi so I’ve been looking into joining the Air Force and I’m currently a sophomore in college. I wanted to join ROTC however I don’t have 3 years of school left so I’ll have to wait until I graduate and apply for OTS. After I graduate I’m also looking to getting my Masters (which will start the summer after I graduate and I’ll graduate in the following spring). I’m doing the masters so I can get my GPA up for medical school and hopefully the HSPS.
1. If there anyway I can do ROTC still or can I just do OTS?
2. If I get selected for HSPS, would I have to do OTS again or should I just wait to see if I get the scholarship to do OTS?
3. Will the 45 days of active duty be separate from the stipend?
4. I saw somewhere it said if you go to military rotations/clinical that’s not in your school, you have to pay everything up front and then they’ll reimburse you, is this correct?
5. When/if I have to move for residency, will they pay for me (and my husband) to move?
6. What are general requirements or averages for applicants accepted into HSPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I'd encourage you to check out the milmed guide to thrive which is stickied on the military medicine forum on here. Most of your questions will be answered by that.

Hi so I’ve been looking into joining the Air Force and I’m currently a sophomore in college. I wanted to join ROTC however I don’t have 3 years of school left so I’ll have to wait until I graduate and apply for OTS. After I graduate I’m also looking to getting my Masters (which will start the summer after I graduate and I’ll graduate in the following spring). I’m doing the masters so I can get my GPA up for medical school and hopefully the HSPS.
1. If there anyway I can do ROTC still or can I just do OTS?
2. If I get selected for HSPS, would I have to do OTS again or should I just wait to see if I get the scholarship to do OTS?
3. Will the 45 days of active duty be separate from the stipend?
4. I saw somewhere it said if you go to military rotations/clinical that’s not in your school, you have to pay everything up front and then they’ll reimburse you, is this correct?
5. When/if I have to move for residency, will they pay for me (and my husband) to move?
6. What are general requirements or averages for applicants accepted into HSPS?

HPSP not HSPS

1) HPSP has its own training pathway that is separate from the ROTC/OTS pathway that line officers use.
2) If you are planning to go to medical school you should not obligate yourself to the military prior to at least having a medical school acceptance. A previous military obligation will seriously complicate your future medical career.
3) In general if you can get into a US medical school you can get the HPSP scholarship
4) A fall semester sophomore in college should not have a GPA so bad that they are already sure that they will need a Masters degree just to get into medical school.

Your focus right now should be getting into medical school. Put the military out of your mind until you have cleared that hurdle, then come back. The pre allo forum might be able to advise you about getting back on track.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
HPSP not HSPS

1) HPSP has its own training pathway that is separate from the ROTC/OTS pathway that line officers use.
2) If you are planning to go to medical school you should not obligate yourself to the military prior to at least having a medical school acceptance. A previous military obligation will seriously complicate your future medical career.
3) In general if you can get into a US medical school you can get the HPSP scholarship
4) A fall semester sophomore in college should not have a GPA so bad that they are already sure that they will need a Masters degree just to get into medical school.

Your focus right now should be getting into medical school. Put the military out of your mind until you have cleared that hurdle, then come back. The pre allo forum might be able to advise you about getting back on track.

You only really didn’t answer some of my questions. And my GPA isn’t that bad that I NEED a Masters to get in, I would like to get my masters to get more research and experience in the Sciences, I’ll sure I’ll get my GPA up just fine. It will help my GPA as stated. Thank you for answering the questions you did. Of course I’m focused on getting into medical school but I don’t want to wait to get the information(which yes I know it’ll change) right before medical school because I’ll already have a lot to focus on with medical school. I just want a general idea of what I’m getting into before I even start medical.

You only really didn’t answer some of my questions. And my GPA isn’t that bad that I NEED a Masters to get in, I would like to get my masters to get more research and experience in the Sciences, I’ll sure I’ll get my GPA up just fine. It will help my GPA as stated. Thank you for answering the questions you did. Of course I’m focused on getting into medical school but I don’t want to wait to get the information(which yes I know it’ll change) right before medical school because I’ll already have a lot to focus on with medical school. I just want a general idea of what I’m getting into before I even start medical.

I guess I'm confused about what you want to do then. You talked about wanting to get a master's and do ROTC/OTS. If you were to do both and you are currently a sophomore in college that would mean you are looking at roughly 8 years down the road that you would start applying to medical school. I would take Perrotfish's advice and not worry about the military right now.