1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

LOTS of questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BigRedStress, Jun 26, 2002.

1. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black
    7+ Year Member

Hey all,
    I have a few questions regarding the amcas app which I am almost done with. 1. If I Was acknowledged in a paper, could I at this point in my career put that as a publication and if not, what can i put it under?

2. for publications, what did you guys put in the 'title' box... ie. the title of the paper or that you were a 'research intern'?

3. also for pubs, for the description, did you put the full title, authors and all, in that box or did yo uactually describe what it was all about?

4. did you input the courses that you will be taking in the fall into the amcas course work section or ended it with junior year grades?

5. I did significant work in high school in arsearch lab, is it okay to put that down as a research experience, even though it technically isnt 'post-sec'?

6. hmmm....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black
    7+ Year Member

6. Did you guys use all the 500+ characters given for the descriptions?

4. jot

jot

i'll take a crack at this:
    1) you could - but i don't think they care that much; i've been acknowledged in a Science article but i didn't bother - just talked about research experience (it wasn't that long)
    2)i put a solid publication as a seperate experience and the title of the paper was the title of the experience - the research experience in general was a seperate one (Research Intern or whatever)
    3)i managed to put in the authors (me and another bloke) as well as a super short one sentance summary - all this took me 499 characters
    4)put future work in your senior year section - don't be too concerned with it unless you have pre-reqs to complete
    5)i wouldn't - i had a lot as well, but didn't bother with it - i've been told specifically not to include it even if it is something like intel ISEF or even westinghouse
    6)sometimes - no point filling space for the sake of it - be succinct and to the point.
    cheers!
    -jot

5. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by BigRedStress:
    <strong>Hey all,
    I have a few questions regarding the amcas app which I am almost done with. 1. If I Was acknowledged in a paper, could I at this point in my career put that as a publication and if not, what can i put it under?

2. for publications, what did you guys put in the 'title' box... ie. the title of the paper or that you were a 'research intern'?

3. also for pubs, for the description, did you put the full title, authors and all, in that box or did yo uactually describe what it was all about?

4. did you input the courses that you will be taking in the fall into the amcas course work section or ended it with junior year grades?

5. I did significant work in high school in arsearch lab, is it okay to put that down as a research experience, even though it technically isnt 'post-sec'?

6. hmmm....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the way I handled my publication was that I titled it as "research fellow" and I said "...worked in a research lab on blah blah blah. The results of this research led to primary (or, for you secondary or tertiary) authorship on a manuscript entitled blah blah blah recently accepted for publication in blah blah blah....

I think you're supposed to put your future course on AMCAS, esp if your school does pre-registration the semester before. At Emory at least, courses you've signed up in the coming fall turn up on your official transcript. Better to be safe then sorry.

6. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Acknowledgement is junk (if you mean that part at the end where they say "Thanks to jim the coffee guy and jake the janitor"). Most people wouldn't include it. --Trek

7. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Trek:
    <strong>Acknowledgement is junk (if you mean that part at the end where they say "Thanks to jim the coffee guy and jake the janitor"). Most people wouldn't include it. --Trek</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">by boss acknowledges her two dogs in a lot of her papers. funny stuff coming from a Harvard educated CDC big wig

8. jot

jot

haha i think that settles it.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> by boss acknowledges her two dogs in a lot of her papers. funny stuff coming from a Harvard educated CDC big wig </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">