1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Lots of shadowing, lots of non-clinical volunteer, no clinical volunteering..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by petabread4, Jul 24, 2011.

1. petabread4

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Title explains it... I have plenty of clinical experience through shadowing, and lots of non-clinical volunteering, but just about no clinical volunteering. Is this a red flag? How would MD vs MD/PhD adcoms see this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. petabread4

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Currently have a 60hr work week split between shadowing and research. I was planning on starting clinical volunteering after the summer, but that would be after submission of my app...

4. DDX2k

2+ Year Member

i've actually been wondering the same thing....I mean, clinical volunteering doesn't tell you much besides how a hospital works, right (not that that information isn't useful)? Shadowing gives you a better idea of what a physician does day-in and out...

You can pull the 'altruism' card for clincial volunteering, but non-clinical volunteering covers that as well.

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Adcomms at each school have different expectations for medically-related experiences. Some wiill be satisfied with substantive shadowing alone, especially in light of your other altruistic activity. And generally MD/PhD programs are less fussy about any ECs besides Research. But to have your application appeal to the broadest number of schools, having clinical experience where you personally interact with sick people is important (whether volunteer, or not).

While it would be better to have started the activity before submission so it can be listed on the application, if you can't, go ahead and begin the planned experience at the end of the summer and then let schools know about it via Secondary essays, update letters, and interview conversations. There is a chance that this will sway adcomms positively who are on the cusp about your application.