Louisiana law mandates military discount on car insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The State of Louisiana passed legislation (Title 37, Part 13, Chap 95, Regulation 81) to reduce the cost of automobile insurance for members of the military serving in the state. The insurance reduction applies to automobiles insured in the state of LA, so even if you transfer and keep your insurance in LA (due to a geographic bachelor situation) you qualify for the discount. Please see the attached, which is the new regulation, for specific details. The discount applies to all renewals or new policies as of 1 July 05. You will need to contact your insurance company to request the discount and provide proof of eligibility. This insurance regulation also applies to our Reserve Airman, Sailors, Marines, Soldiers, and the National Guard.

12.5% reduction as of 1 Jul 05.
25% reduction as of 1 Jul 06.

Members don't see this ad.

trinityalumnus said:
The State of Louisiana passed legislation (Title 37, Part 13, Chap 95, Regulation 81) to reduce the cost of automobile insurance for members of the military serving in the state. The insurance reduction applies to automobiles insured in the state of LA, so even if you transfer and keep your insurance in LA (due to a geographic bachelor situation) you qualify for the discount. Please see the attached, which is the new regulation, for specific details. The discount applies to all renewals or new policies as of 1 July 05. You will need to contact your insurance company to request the discount and provide proof of eligibility. This insurance regulation also applies to our Reserve Airman, Sailors, Marines, Soldiers, and the National Guard.

12.5% reduction as of 1 Jul 05.
25% reduction as of 1 Jul 06.

Well, that is neat, but I don't think it is actually inforceable. I am not a lousianna resident though. Also if you are in the military and you are not using USAA as your insurer you are shooting yourself in the foot. They have by far the best rates for coverage received. I pay about $450 for a 6 year policy. All the other quotes for the same local were in the 700-850 range...

texdrake said:
I pay about $450 for a 6 year policy.

That's pretty impressive! $6 a month :)

On a serious note, I wonder if my "blame USA first" state government could ever pass a law like this...nah...too busy expanding welfare programs

idq1i said:
That's pretty impressive! $6 a month :)

On a serious note, I wonder if my "blame USA first" state government could ever pass a law like this...nah...too busy expanding welfare programs

ummm...yeah....meant 6 months