LOUISIANA MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ULM17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently failed the Louisiana MPJE by one point, and need to study things in a different way. First off, any recommendations for passing the LA MPJE would be greatly appreciated, as far as what you may have studied and what not, etc.

Also, thinking about getting RxPrep MPJE material. Is this worth it? I have heard from numerous resources that it is not very good, however, I might be willing to give it a shot. Please provide any info and input that you can! It would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from out of state and failed by one point as well.
I read the Reiss and Hall "Guide to Federal Pharmacy Law, 9th Edition" along with the laws on the Louisiana BOP website.

This time I'm going to try studying from law review materials from this website by Dr. Evans: Services
It's specific to Louisiana. Have you heard anything about this professor?

I've heard the RxPrep MPJE material is more focused on federal law so am not sure if it'll help us understand Louisiana specific law.

Hello, so I had promised to post again if I passed the exam to help others who might be in the same boat as me. I am from out of state and already have a license from another state. However, the level of difficulty of Louisiana MPJE was something I did not expect. It was also really hard because I did not know anyone here and could not ask anyone questions. I took Louisiana MPJE for the third time and passed on the third attempt.

Things I used to study this time around:
1. Guide to Federal Pharmacy Law by Reiss and Hall. 9th edition.
- I read it cover to cover a few times, and took the practice exam in the back of the book. I then went back and reviewed all the answers and made sure I understood the answers.
2. Review slides and recordings from RASA, LLC - This is a website set up by a Louisiana pharmacy school law professor. The website is here: Services - it's only $35 to get the material.
I really think this site helped me a lot because the professor goes through each section of the law. He also gives out his email and phone number and I took advantage of this by emailing him questions or texting him whenever I was confused about something. He was always relatively quick to respond. HOWEVER, a caveat I have is that you cannot solely rely on the materials from here alone!!! I listened to the recordings and followed along on the slides once THEN
3. Louisiana BOP Laws and Rules: Louisiana Board of Pharmacy | State of Louisiana - I read ALL the required materials on here AT LEAST TWICE and filled in the gaps - this included Title 37 Chapter 14 Pharmacy Practice Act, Title 40 Public Health and Safety, and all the chapters in Title 46 Professional and Occupational Standards. People have posted that they just read the law book (http://www.pharmacy.la.gov/assets/docs/Laws/LB_2015_FINAL_Rev0708.pdf) but the last time this book was updated was in 2015 and I saw that there had been revisions in the Louisiana pharmacy law since then so I personally did not use this PDF.
4. Practice questions from pharmacyexam.com - I only bought the Louisiana MPJE questions. BUT if I had to do it over, I would've purchased the Federal Law questions AND the compounding questions package as well.

The exam was SO HARD - I walked out feeling like I definitely had failed again and was depressed for days. There was a good amount of federal law questions, state law questions, and sterile compounding questions (especially from USP 800). Know the basics of USP 795, 797, and 800. They also asked a lot of questions on what the board of pharmacy can or cannot do. There were so many questions on topics I didn't remember studying at all and was not sure where I would be able to find the answers. BUT whatever I used this time around definitely worked - passed with an 82! I really hope sharing my experience helps!

In addition, I took the exam on Tuesday (9/5) around 4pm - finished a little after 6pm. Received my score on Friday (9/8) around 4pm.
Louisiana scores are uploaded on the third business day after taking the exam and this has been consistent with the previous times as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I took my mpje LA last week and I was scared because it’s my first time and ppl said don’t expect to pass the first time around. I passed with an 85 and I used these resources. Caveat: I know personally as a student, I learn best by listening to recordings and doing exam practice questions and reading the explanations of why I get those q’s wrong so I did NOT read Reiss and Hall’s Fed law book at all. I also did NOT read the lousiana state board law book posted on their website not their quarterly newsletters. Reading books does not help me so I avoided those resources. Here’s what I used:

1) Law recording from RASA LLC $35. Best value, listen to the usp 800 lecture 3 times which is good because I got 7 compounding q’s on the exam and 6 of them were in his compounding lecture. I listened to his other law lectures twice. Do his 2 practice exam questions (200 q’s total) twice and studied the answers and explanation. That really helped.

2) pharmacyexam.com lousiana and federal law 1 and 2 quizbanks. That’s 150 practice q’s per section = 450 q’s total with sometimes too detailed explanation but most of the time, the explanations were good. I did get the compounding question bank but it was too specific and not helpful for the mpje. I did the federal pair twice and the lousiana one three times and studied the explanations

3) rxprep federal quizbank, video lectures, and workbook. This supplement is focused on federal law and at first you ask why do you need it? It’s because a lot of lousiana pharmacy laws refer to federal law instead of making stricter laws themselves. In a lot of cases lousiana law is the same as federal law so you need to know your federal law. I like their quizbanks and thought their video lectures online were very well organized. I read their workout book only once even though I hate reading, but it comes free with the package so why not. It’s still good quality summaries of law sections and had good data and charts.

I know these study guides are expensive so On a budget I would definitely purchase the law $35 recording/2practice exams, pharmacyexam lousiana quizbank, rxprep lecture/workbook/quizbank. If you have extra money, the pharmacyexam federal 1 and 2 quizbank. Don’t buy the pharmacyexam compounding quizbank. These are expensive but my work gave me the company credit card to pay for these studyguides so I took advantage. I’m originally licensed in CA, but have to get an LA license to do business there

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

As a lurker after taking MPJE's and freaking out, I thought I would contribute even though I'm not the most insightful.

I am originally licensed in WA, then took AZ, MA, and LA MPJE's at separate occasions. Each time, I freaked out and thought I failed. And I can't tell you which one was worse, as I have bad recall memory.

I do think that the LA had more situational questions that I know I never read from a law book; more so of learning from practice. It seemed to be more retail focused, but then the areas I had the most trouble with were about repackaging and sterile requirements. In the law book, it mentioned USP and other references I would go back over if I had to retest.

Get this, I only read the law book and used Pharmacy Exam. I think none of them helped me pass, but who knows?! Maybe the law book mostly; I felt that Pharmacy Exam was word for word from the law book, and it didn't help me very much. I also had the Federal Law Pharmacy Exam, and I don't think those questions really prepared me either. I got a 79.

So, it's of little help, but I hope you walk out feeling better than I did. I did remember overthinking once, and I ended up getting the question wrong.

I sent in my background check about two and a half weeks ago and passed the exam about a week ago... still not licensed. For those applying, they do accept printed license verifications as long as they state if there are disciplinary actions. My CA tech and intern licenses did not, so I had to ask for a formal verification with fees.

Good luck!

Hi all,

As a lurker after taking MPJE's and freaking out, I thought I would contribute even though I'm not the most insightful.

I am originally licensed in WA, then took AZ, MA, and LA MPJE's at separate occasions. Each time, I freaked out and thought I failed. And I can't tell you which one was worse, as I have bad recall memory.

I do think that the LA had more situational questions that I know I never read from a law book; more so of learning from practice. It seemed to be more retail focused, but then the areas I had the most trouble with were about repackaging and sterile requirements. In the law book, it mentioned USP and other references I would go back over if I had to retest.

Get this, I only read the law book and used Pharmacy Exam. I think none of them helped me pass, but who knows?! Maybe the law book mostly; I felt that Pharmacy Exam was word for word from the law book, and it didn't help me very much. I also had the Federal Law Pharmacy Exam, and I don't think those questions really prepared me either. I got a 79.

So, it's of little help, but I hope you walk out feeling better than I did. I did remember overthinking once, and I ended up getting the question wrong.

I sent in my background check about two and a half weeks ago and passed the exam about a week ago... still not licensed. For those applying, they do accept printed license verifications as long as they state if there are disciplinary actions. My CA tech and intern licenses did not, so I had to ask for a formal verification with fees.

Good luck!

I just went to each state I was licensed in, did a license verification search and printed out that page, that was enough.

I just went to each state I was licensed in, did a license verification search and printed out that page, that was enough.

I did that, but they did not accept my California one, because their format didn't state disciplinary information. Unless they change it in the future...

Hello,
I took the LA MPJE this month after studying for 3-4 weeks while working a full time job(not in pharmacy) and just wanted to provide information about my experience.
I am a 2019 grad, went to school in Florida and recently licensed in Florida. Never worked in LA pharmacy.

1) Dr. Evan's review was the most helpful but should not be the only source used. You also have to listen to his recordings because he explains things that are not written in the powerpoint. Only downside, it was kind of confusing to differentiate state and federal law/requirements. For $35 it was an amazing resource.

2)Pharmacyexams (only LA, not federal or compounding) on the other hand was just okay, there were not many situational questions on there like there is on the exam. When i studied for Florida, I used pre-MPJE .com and I feel like it had more situational questions and the explanations help you navigate the answer choices. But this may or may not be true for LA.

3)Louisiana BOP Laws: Long but necessary to read and supplement the other resources. Pharmacyexam and Dr.Evans reference where the information is in the law so you can review the sections you may need more details in. I can not say that I read it cover to cover but I read a bulk of it and took notes.

4) The NABP site now has a preMPJE like they have for the NAPLEX and it was very helpful in knowing where I stand. I took it 5 days before the exam to see if I should take the exam or push it back. I got a passing score, so I continued to study and i got 2 points higher on the MPJE than what I got on the Pre-MPJE. So even if you do well continue to study.

Compounding: please know your BUD and time period for training and testing. Good to review federal law(there is a section in Dr. Evans review) but dont focus all of your energy there. Other than that, everything is random and the exam is hard. I felt like I failed when I left the exam. You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user