Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Louisiana premeds/ medical students

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ggeorge1f1, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggeorge1f1

Do you know of anyone getting into new orleans with a 25 or lower?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The median for that school is around a 28, so I can almost gaurantee you that there was probably more than one person at the school acceppted with </25.

4. admitER

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes, my next door neighbor got in with a 25. But her older sister just graduated from LSU medical, so there you go.

As the previous poster said, people probably got in with 25/24s but odds are they had something else spectacular about their app - remember its not all about the numbers.

Also, better to not bank on the "I know someone who got in with a 17" stories - even if they are true, they tend to be the exceptions rather than the rule

5. Pleaseletmein

Pleaseletmein Hopeful
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I will be attending LSU New Orleans this fall and I made a 25 on my MCAT. Due to personal problems I was not able to study for the MCAT and decided to take it anyway in August. I took one practice test on AAMC and scored a 26 on it. I didn’t finish my verbal and I thought I did a whole lot worse on the test. The upside of my application was I had a 4.0 SGPA and a 3.9 GPA taking no less than 15 hours in a semester while working 30 to 40 hours a week. I also had a lot of Medical experience. I know of people who got in with a 23 on the MCAT. LSU looks at the entire person not just their MCAT score.

#4 Pleaseletmein, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. old RN

old RN Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

I have heard the dad of a former graduate say that the graduate said that what LSU med school takes in, LSU med school lets out. So if they get in with a 23 MCAT, it is o surprise they gor out. I also heard that students at LSU med school are "Helped" in order to graduate. Meaning a lot of tutoring. You don't 2 med schools from LSU in Louisiana. Too many slots. Plus there is Tulane and La sttudents are admitted there.
    A long term friend of mine told me that his son graduated from LSU med school a few years back. The graduate said that whoever gets in LSU med school gets out. So if that is true, a person could get in with a 15 MCAT and he/she would get out (graduate). I also heard some students have a lot of help with needing tutoring. It gives the place a reputation of being a diploma mill. I have read where nation wide, the death rate from medical accidents is in the hundreds of thousands. "US NEWS " Medical Errors are third leading cause of death in the US". You'll find the article and others if you Google "medical errors deaths". And these are only estimates of the DEATHS in the US. Any social occasion I enter, the stories of the second surgery, complications of surgeries, infections from being in the hospital go on and on. I'm sick of it. I hope one day medical and nursing schools will go back to educating quality health care providers rather than quantity. And the stories of insults, rudeness combined with poor care are all to often repeated. If only government would be more in tuned to making health care safe rather than how it will be paid for. Make it safe which will make it cheaper, then decide how to pay for it. I hope I see before I die only one LSU medical school in Louisiana.

7. 21Rush12

21Rush12 Searching a cave behind a waterfall
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    @old RN you have got to stop bumping threads that are years and years old to complain about things. This was last posted in 2008; you are arguing with people who havent been on this site since Obama was sworn in.

Dr.Cut.em.up, Lannister and Goro like this.
  8. Lucca

Lucca Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
    Moderator Rocket Scientist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Closing old thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.