avenue

Partying like a rockstar.
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
New Orleans
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Just trying to start a thread for Louisiana residents. Where are you applying to, or where do you attend (MS or ugrad)? What's going on? Any advice or success stories? Just trying to get a little LA representation on the boards.

Ave.

dr198

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Good to see some people from LA on the board. I applied to LSU, LSU-S, and Tulane along with a host of other schools. Has anyone got the LSU secondary yet? I finished LSU-S and Tulane, but I haven't heard a word from LSU :confused:

fifi33

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2006
New Orleans
Status
Medical Student
I am living in NOLA. I went to Tulane for BS and MS. I'm applying to LSUNO, LSUS, Tulane, along with a host of out of state schools I'm really hoping I'm not going to have to bother with because LSU (or Tulane again) will love me.

Good luck to you all and glad to see the representation!

About the Ads

Page

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
New Orleans
Status
Medical Student
Louisianians!!! woohoo!!

Im from New Orleans, Tulane undergrad. Applied to Tulane only and was accepted this past week... Good luck to you all!

FloridaMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Louisianians!!! woohoo!!

Im from New Orleans, Tulane undergrad. Applied to Tulane only and was accepted this past week... Good luck to you all!
Congratulations, you are smart to just apply to the school that accepted you. How did you know that you did not need to apply elsewhere, does Tulane like its own students?

ReDox

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I was born in LA and still have an LA license so am I still considered an in-stater even though I've gone to school out of state for 3+ years? I'm applying to Tulane. After confirming that I am still considered in-state I will apply to LSU-S and LSU-NO. LSU-S seems like a great school so I hope to apply there.

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
Hey Y'all! I went to Tulane for undergrad and then am an L1 at LSU-No this year. I'll try to help answer q's if y'all have any about my experiences at all three LA schools.

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
Ruston, Louisiana. Undergrad at Tech and medical school at LSU-Shreveport.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm applying to Tulane and LSUNO. I'm on hold at Tulane (unsurprising given my less than stellar stats).

Just hope that LSUNO likes me. Got my undergrad at LSU and my masters parttime there while I worked to pay the bills....

Those of you watching the Fresno game- what the hell? Shouldn't this be like 100-3 by now???

DenmarkDoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Heaven
Status
I'm applying to Tulane and LSUNO. I'm on hold at Tulane (unsurprising given my less than stellar stats).

Just hope that LSUNO likes me. Got my undergrad at LSU and my masters parttime there while I worked to pay the bills....

Those of you watching the Fresno game- what the hell? Shouldn't this be like 100-3 by now???
ahaha:laugh:

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student

d*mn, this head and neck block is really rockin my world . . . I didn't even realize I was missing a game . . . usually I am aware enuf to feel bad for myself for having to study thru a game . . . stupid head and neck . . .

OP
avenue

avenue

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
New Orleans
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Wow. Good to see some Louisiana people.

Congrats Page!

I applied early decision to LSU-S, and got accepted. So, I'll be back home in Shreveport for the class of 2011.

Good Luck to everyone, and lets keep this up.

Ave.

cobalt31

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
MI
Status
Dentist
I was born in LA and still have an LA license so am I still considered an in-stater even though I've gone to school out of state for 3+ years?
you're a resident to whatever state you pay taxes in (im pretty sure) and have been paying them for whatever number of years that state requires to obtain residency. I go to school out of state too, but my parents still list me as a dependent, so i'm almost positive im still a resident of LA.

anyway, i'm a junior right now and will definitely be applying to both LSU's and tulane.

About the Ads

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
Wow. Good to see some Louisiana people.

Congrats Page!

I applied early decision to LSU-S, and got accepted. So, I'll be back home in Shreveport for the class of 2011.

Good Luck to everyone, and lets keep this up.

Ave.
You will love LSU-Shreveport. The first and second year lecture schedule is pretty benign (unless they've changed it) and you should get plenty of time off to study.

I even understand they have gotten rid of "Comp Care" (Comprehensive Care) for third and fourth years. Comp Care was also known as "The Activity Which Single-Handedly Killed the Future of Primary Care in Louisiana.")

OP
avenue

avenue

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
New Orleans
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
You will love LSU-Shreveport. The first and second year lecture schedule is pretty benign (unless they've changed it) and you should get plenty of time off to study.
I know this is a broad question, but what is it like? I'm so excited about going. I've done research there since high school, so I know of the atmosphere. But there's only so much you can find out from their website.

Ave.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
If I want to update my application with a letter telling them my midterm grades and the class I'm TAing this fall and the federal grant i'm on- do I have to provide proof or can I just mail a letter??

How does that work? Want to send to Tulane and LSUNO.

Sondra

UMC 2010
10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2005
Jacktown
doctorquack.blogspot.com
Status
Medical Student
I am actually a Mississippi resident, but I have a house right outside of Slidell, LA. I am an M1 at the University of Mississippi Medcial Center. I feel some love for LA, so if you have any questions, please PM. I will try to help you out as much as I can.

excalibur

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Undergrad at LSU. Currently a 4th year at Tulane. Let me know if you have questions or you can also PM me.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Anybody heard anything from LSUNO? I'm scared to call and ask and then have them tell me, "I'm sorry, you suck." But in nicer terms, I'm sure.

I called Tulane. They said I'm hold, which is expected since I didn't have a 4.0 and 35 MCAT.

I just want some lovin' from one of them!!!

cajun4075

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
What are the questions you were asked when you went to the interview?
Do you have any advice for people going on an interview at a Louisiana school?

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
I know this is a broad question, but what is it like? I'm so excited about going. I've done research there since high school, so I know of the atmosphere. But there's only so much you can find out from their website.

Ave.
I am a few years out of date but my class (2005) was the first class with the so-called "new curriculum" which was systems based as opposed to the old, traditional curriculum. From a practical point of view we had a lot fewer lecture hours in first and second year as opposed to the eight to five lecture schedule that came before us and I believe (but I could be wrong) they still have at LSU-NO.

Now, it might be academic to some because a lot of people skip lectures but if you are a lecture person, it was rare to be in class past two in the afternoon, and some of the blocks are actually more benign then that. We had a smattering of PBL, jsut enough to be annoying, and the usual empathy indoctrination which was universally disrespected to the extent that it's a wonder that part of the curriculum was ever approved.

We had limited patient contact in first and second year. Mostly standardized patient exercises which, now that I am a resident, I can say with authority were totally worthless.

I understand that they have gotten rid of "Comprehensive Care," the third and fourth year student-run clinic which sounded good on paper but was really disliked by almost everybody in every class since it was implemented. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) We had "Comp Care" for one half-day a week for all of third and fourth year. We had our own panel of patients who we followed for two years as possible considering we were only in clinic for a half-day per week.

What happens is you end up with these professional patients who are very nice but seem to have every non-specific complaint known to man. "Back Pain." "Headache." "Not feeling well." Not exactly the kind of cases that will fill anyone with a burning desire to do primary care.

They may have replaced it with a mandatory FM rotation which at least gets all the pain out of the way at one time. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Houma05

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Houma, LA
Status
Pre-Medical
i am an african-american sophomore at ULM in Monore La. By the time i go to apply my GPA is probably going to be a 3.4 and hopfully i do well on the MCAT do you think i will have a chance at any of the Louisiana schools. i have intent to apply to a host of out of state med schools too but LSU-S is so cheap compared to out of state med schools. so what do you think my chances are. oh yeah i am from Houma,LA. about 30mins away from new orleans by the way if that helps lol.???

presquevu

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I go to LSU, but I applied at a few out of state schools. I'm just concerned about competing against other schools with the "southern stigma" of being from Louisiana. Do you think that's an issue?

About the Ads

excalibur

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
i am an african-american sophomore at ULM in Monore La. By the time i go to apply my GPA is probably going to be a 3.4 and hopfully i do well on the MCAT do you think i will have a chance at any of the Louisiana schools. i have intent to apply to a host of out of state med schools too but LSU-S is so cheap compared to out of state med schools. so what do you think my chances are. oh yeah i am from Houma,LA. about 30mins away from new orleans by the way if that helps lol.???
Sure you got a shot. Keep working hard in your classes. Aim to do well on MCAT--shoot for that 30. Also, do as many different EC's as you can. Finally, you have to network. Find out who are important/influential people and then get to know them or work for them and get letters from them.

excalibur

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Also to Becky C,
You don't need a 4.0 and a 35 MCAT to go to Tulane. I'm living proof!!!

Tyroneous1

Origami Technician
10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Right Behind You.
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone received an invite to interview from LSUNO? LSUS sent out invitations to interview. Just curious.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone received an invite to interview from LSUNO? LSUS sent out invitations to interview. Just curious.
Me too!!!! Seems real quiet on that front.

and thanks, excaliber for the encouragement...ineed it about now

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
Me too!!!! Seems real quiet on that front.

and thanks, excaliber for the encouragement...ineed it about now
Yeah, tulane is less of a numbers ***** than it seems to have a reputation of. They seem to be more interested in finding people who will be a good fit for their unique school. I got into all three LA schools with a 3.4 and a 32Q so there is hope. Y'all can PM me if you have any questions since I'm pretty familiar with all three schools or if you're interested how I made my final decision.

fiji128

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
Status
d*mn, this head and neck block is really rockin my world . . . I didn't even realize I was missing a game . . . usually I am aware enuf to feel bad for myself for having to study thru a game . . . stupid head and neck . . .
That exams is weeks away and we don't have nearly as much histo as last block. I would say relax man.

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
That exams is weeks away and we don't have nearly as much histo as last block. I would say relax man.
dude, first I'm a chick, and second if you read the date or the content of the post you would see that I was referring to H&N, lol. This block is a cake walk.

orodri3

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I know LSUNO sent out acceptances and interviews on Nov 16th. I am not sure when the committe will meet again. I think LSUS meets every other thursday and interview invites have been sent out through December.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Anybody else get the extension notice from LSUNO? Are they hurtin' for students? Because, really, I'd more than happy to take a spot off their hands....

Tyroneous1

Origami Technician
10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Right Behind You.
Status
Pre-Medical
I got the same message. Compared to other state forums, Louisiana doesn't have many responding. Wouldn't it be nice to get in by default? I hope you keep posting, too.

About the Ads

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Wouldn't it be nice to get in by default?
I'd love to get in period. By default, by divine intervention...whatever. ;) Hell, I'll settle for an interview and a chance to charm them all to death.

Good luck to you!

Tyroneous1

Origami Technician
10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Right Behind You.
Status
Pre-Medical
becky- how old are you? I'm just curious. did you get an interview at LSU-Shreveport?

I'm 30 and this my first time. I did get an interview but nothing from LSUNO.

pedro4199

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m from LA and was planning on applying this year but because of the way things worked out, I haven’t yet. I’ve got a 3.6 GPA and a 35M on the MCAT. Although I would rather not go to school in LA, I am wondering if I should just apply before Tulane’s deadline in early December and go there next year, or wait and apply the following year and try to get in somewhere better.

Tyroneous1

Origami Technician
10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Right Behind You.
Status
Pre-Medical
Pedro- those are great stats. With those stats, I think I would apply to anywhere I wanted to go. I love Louisiana, so I would say go for it.

Are you at St. Jude or at University of Memphis? There is a local graduate who is in the Phd./MD program at St. Jude.

Becky- are you there?

pedro4199

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Although I would rather not go to school in LA
I love Louisiana, so I would say go for it.

Are you at St. Jude or at University of Memphis? There is a local graduate who is in the Phd./MD program at St. Jude.

My point was that I don't want to go to school in LA...

I go to Rhodes College, but I'm doing research at St. Jude.

Just so you know, St. Jude isn't a university or medical school. It is a research hospital. St. Jude does collaborate with the University of Tennessee in Memphis by letting a small percentage of their graduate students work with St. Jude principle investigators on their PhDs. Their degree is from UT, not St. Jude, though. Similarly, if they are doing an MD/PhD, they are most likely attending UT, but doing their PhD portion at St. Jude.

Tyroneous1

Origami Technician
10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Right Behind You.
Status
Pre-Medical
Pedro- so you would be applying to Tulane just to see if you COULD get in? Hey, if I had your specs and cashflow, I'd probably do that too. I think it's 80bucks or so.

What area are you from in Louisiana?

PapaWheelie87

Palabra a tu madre.
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
In your face
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a while before I have to worry about applying, but I plan on applying to LSUNO, LSUHC Shreveport, and Tulane. 1st choice is Shreveport. Haven't considered applying anywhere other than those 3. And if I don't get in I'll just up my gpa, retake MCAT and reapply over and over and over... until I'm on my deathbed and wouldn't be able to make it to class even if I did get accepted.

...and then when I do die, I'll be stuck to roam the earth as an unhappy "spirit" with unfinished business, doomed to haunt those who did get accepted.

pedro4199

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Pedro- so you would be applying to Tulane just to see if you COULD get in? Hey, if I had your specs and cashflow, I'd probably do that too. I think it's 80bucks or so.

What area are you from in Louisiana?
No, that's not it. I know I could get in there. But because it's so late in the cycle, that's pretty much one of the only places left. I'm probably just going to sit this year out and apply early next year.

I'm from Shreveport.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
becky- how old are you? I'm just curious. did you get an interview at LSU-Shreveport?

I'm 30 and this my first time. I did get an interview but nothing from LSUNO.
I'm 27 and I didn't apply to LSU-S because my husband can't move right now. Maybe if I have to reapply next year I will...still holding out!!!!!

My first time around, too. I'm slow with the "what i want to be when i grow up" thing.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Pedro- those are great stats. With those stats, I think I would apply to anywhere I wanted to go. I love Louisiana, so I would say go for it.

Becky- are you there?
Sorry- mawmaw in the ICU. I've been not home a lot. Anybody know where Opelousas is? I've driven there about 3891028209 times this past week.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
...and then when I do die, I'll be stuck to roam the earth as an unhappy "spirit" with unfinished business, doomed to haunt those who did get accepted.
I so love that idea. I want to be a mean ghost. Can I be a mean ghost?

Dr. Dukes

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2006
The hall in which Odin received the souls of slain
Status
Medical Student
Has anyone applied to LSU-NO's MD-PhD? I heard good news from the MD a couple of weeks ago, but won't hear from the PhD till ~Feb. I can't find much info online about the PhD part (how you pick your dept and advisor, that sort of thing). Any advice would be great.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, bob. Sorry, no info here. But way to be ambitious! Good luck!!!

cajun4075

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Has anyone received a interview for LSU-NO? Do you know when they send the interview invites out?

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
Hey ya'll. I got both my interview invites from the LSUs last year in december, so don't worry yet, its not too late :) :luck:

southerncomfort

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2003
Visit site
Status
No, that's not it. I know I could get in there. But because it's so late in the cycle, that's pretty much one of the only places left. I'm probably just going to sit this year out and apply early next year.

I'm from Shreveport.

Not to sound like an a**, but really, you don't KNOW that you'll get in ANYWHERE. :rolleyes: Stats are nice, but they're not everything. People skills and maturity are more important in medicine.

About the Ads