Louisiana residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They sent an email with the orientation schedule. Other than that, they haven't sent anything, which I find kinda odd considering we'll be starting on Friday.

web address:

http://intranet.lsuhsc-s.edu/students/med/orientation/index.html

your username is your first initial and the first 5 letters of your last name, i think your password is set as the same thing as your username originally, but they may have changed that

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
try "password" or "password1" or the month abbreviation plus your username...like jul + msmi12 = julmsmi12

Tried it with this, but it didn't work.

I'm assuming you mean LSU-NO. SPM means Science and Practice of Medicine. You can go to this website to see more about which each skill lab means http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/medical_education/undergraduate/spm/SPM_100.asp

I am going to be a first year at NO and I agree with you about what Independent Study means. I think it is when we study on our own.

SPM is the science and practice of medicine. There are DXR lectures on monday, which is diagnostic reasoning and the whole class attends. You will be assigned into SPM groups (which may or may not be listed already on the website above) . . so if you are in SPM group 1 you have free study time whenever there isn't an activity listed for SPM 1.

Has anyone received any information about registration or orientation that is on August 9 and 10 for LSU-NO? Does anyone know if we will receive something (ex. schedule for those days , wher we are suppose to go, etc.)

One of the packets said meet at 7:30 am in the MEB. It also suggested that we bring our checkbooks and men wear ties for id pictures. I am guessing that's all the info we get unless they send an email in the next few days. See you all soon!

They sent out an email with details so I stand corrected. If you didn't get it, PM me your email and I can forward it to you.

They sent out an email with details so I stand corrected. If you didn't get it, PM me your email and I can forward it to you.

I received it. Thanks! See you there.

no time, haha...the first two weeks were good.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application for LSU New Orleans was held up because I took the September MCAT. Since then, I've been too busy looking for a job and an apartment in New Orleans to worry too much about my med school application. What should I be doing?? LSU is really the only school I applied to. (I applied to Tulane but they don't like that I took the MCAT in September). I met some LSU students a few months ago who said I should arrange a meeting with someone at LSU before I get invited to interview. Can someone please help me? :)

My application for LSU New Orleans was held up because I took the September MCAT. Since then, I've been too busy looking for a job and an apartment in New Orleans to worry too much about my med school application. What should I be doing?? LSU is really the only school I applied to. (I applied to Tulane but they don't like that I took the MCAT in September). I met some LSU students a few months ago who said I should arrange a meeting with someone at LSU before I get invited to interview. Can someone please help me? :)

so i'm assuming you submitted your secondary application? i know dr. mcclugage sits down with prospective/unsuccessful applicants in the late spring to advise them, maybe you could call the admissions office and see if you could set up an appointment w/him (although i'm sure he's got to be pretty busy this time of year). if you live in the nola area, you could also swing by the admissions office and talk to a staff member.

and a word of advice, i wouldn't tell them that you were "too busy looking for an apartment and a job to worry about your lsu application!" :)

i interviewed there recently and everyone i met was really nice and willing to help, so i wouldn't stress about your situation, i'm sure you'll be fine.

:luck:

so i'm assuming you submitted your secondary application? i know dr. mcclugage sits down with prospective/unsuccessful applicants in the late spring to advise them, maybe you could call the admissions office and see if you could set up an appointment w/him (although i'm sure he's got to be pretty busy this time of year). if you live in the nola area, you could also swing by the admissions office and talk to a staff member.

and a word of advice, i wouldn't tell them that you were "too busy looking for an apartment and a job to worry about your lsu application!" :)

i interviewed there recently and everyone i met was really nice and willing to help, so i wouldn't stress about your situation, i'm sure you'll be fine.

:luck:

Yes, that was his name! McClugage! I'll try to contact him, and I'll also stop by next Thursday.

And yes, I submitted my secondary before I took the MCAT, so when they got my scores in October my application was finalized. I got a 30, so I think I'm in pretty good shape.

And yes, you're right about not saying that i was "too busy." What I really mean is that I've been too preoccupied with moving and job seeking to obsess about the process as much as some SDN users. :rolleyes:

My entire life plan banks on getting into LSU, so it certainly is important to me!! Every once in a while I think to myself, "wait, am I supposed to be doing something other than waiting around for LSU to contact me?" Apparently I just need to remind myself to be patient? And try to meet Dr. McClugage?

Hey all,

I am at LSUS getting my second BS and will be applying this summer. For those of you in NO, my cousin, Amy B., is a third year. And for those in Shreveport, I work at the hospital as a student worker.

Jason

Hey all,

I am at LSUS getting my second BS and will be applying this summer. For those of you in NO, my cousin, Amy B., is a third year. And for those in Shreveport, I work at the hospital as a student worker.

Jason

Im also at LSUS getting undergrad degree. I would like to get a student job or something at the hospital. Does anyone know the best way to go about doing this?

Email professors that you would be interested in doing research with? I've worked there for 5 years and had my research position given to me, so i assume this would be the best route.

I mean somthing like an ER Tech or anything like that at the actual hospital. Not research at the campus

I was told about my position from a girl in one of my classes. I know a girl who works as an ER tech at WK Piermont. I will try and ask her how she got the position and let you know. I will check and see also if they are looking at my job, although, they just hired 4 new students, but I will check.

Hey, first of all, geaux tigers.

K now that that is out of the way, I just finished the LSU-NO secondary app last week. Has anyone else finished it, what do you think? Are you happy, nervous or what? What where are you graduating from, and do you know any one else applying? I'm just trying to see if there as anyone I know?

K now that that is out of the way, I just finished the LSU-NO secondary app last week. Has anyone else finished it, what do you think? Are you happy, nervous or what? What where are you graduating from, and do you know any one else applying? I'm just trying to see if there as anyone I know?

So I'm not applying til next year, but I saw this thread and had to comment... Geaux Tigers is right!!!! Do you go to LSU? I know a few people applying but I haven't heard much about what they thought of LSU-NO. Hopefully, someone else can help you there. I was just glad to see another LA person on here. It seems like no one is from LA.

wheeeee!! Geaux Tigers!!!!! I'm applying this year, I submitted the secondary a couple weeks ago. I think my dad said he got something from them saying that the secondary was received. But yeah, I can't wait to go down there, the people at LSU-NO are really nice and easy so I think the app process with them will be smooth. so i'm happy i think.

i'm graduating from LSU and I know there are lots applying from LSU but I can't name them at the moment. anyway, good luck to you!!

Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Ditto. Anyways, I won't apply 'til next year, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one in the state on SDN. Best of luck to those who are applying this year. . . Feel free to offer up any advice you might have

awesome! im glad there are others from LA on here!! Did you do the rural track part? I did, I figured why not give it a shot...couldn't hurt i guess...i dunno. I think i would have had more fun if I went to LSU for undergrad but I went out of state. Has anyone else met with Dr. Eubanks? He seemed like a really nice guy. Anyways good luck to everyone! Hope to see you in the 2009 first year class!

nah, no rural scholars for me. i'm doing MD/PhD I think. I haven't met Dr. Eubanks. where did you go to undergrad?

I went to Baylor for undergrad for forensic science. What did you major in at LSU? where in the state are you from??

oh Baylor's really cool. are you applying to their med school too?

I'm a biochemistry/chemistry double major at LSU. I've lived in Baton Rouge my whole life!

wow double major! chemistry, you are way braver than I am haha.

Yea I'm applying to baylor too but I would really like to be in New Orleans.

Did anyone here apply early decision to shreveport? I was on the waitlist officially until pretty much the day school started- I know that is where I want to go so I applied ED and have an interview soon. Anyone else in a similar situation? Or anyone else re-applying after being waitlisted?

I have heard alot of things about LSUS being a worse decision than LSU-NO. Is this all just made up? Cause I really want to do the ED program at LSU...all my friends are really scaring me saying how it is a bad school and stuff.

has anyone heard from LSU-NO about interviews? Or from shreveport?

I am a first year at New Orleans and they brought a tour of interviewees through gross lab today.

I have heard alot of things about LSUS being a worse decision than LSU-NO. Is this all just made up? Cause I really want to do the ED program at LSU...all my friends are really scaring me saying how it is a bad school and stuff.

It's nearly impossible to compare medical schools. Most of us have only been to one and have no real idea how they do things at other schools. I guess you could look at match lists and average Step 1 scores but what's the point? Go where you want to go based on whatever criteria are important to you. I went to LSUS because it was only a few miles down the road, Shreveport is a lot easier to live in than New Orleans, and my wife didn't want to move to New Orleans anyway. There were no other considerations.

I'm sure the EM program at LSUS will consider you if you go to New Orleans.

Panda Bear, I gather by the "Somewhere in Yankeeland" location that you matched somewhere up north. Just curious, since I'll be applying next year, if I go to LSUS or LSUNO will I have a good chance of matching with nice residencies nationwide? Or will I be at a disadvantage?

Sweet!!

I just got my interview conformation from LSU Shreveport for the 27th of January!!! Does anyone know what i should be expecting? Do you have any advise? :D:D:D:D:D

Sweet!!

I just got my interview conformation from LSU Shreveport for the 27th of January!!! Does anyone know what i should be expecting? Do you have any advise? :D:D:D:D:D

Hey congrats! Dr. Kennedy will ask you to say one interesting thing about yourself that no one else in the room can say about themselves (he'll ask you this while sitting around a conference table with all the day's interviewees). Everyone's pretty nice and it's only like 3 interviews (one with Kennedy where he just flips through your app and asks you questions about the negative points in your application, and two "blind" interviews where the interviewers haven't seen your file). They also take you on a tour which doesn't last so long and then you can go.

Anyway, good luck!

Hey congrats! Dr. Kennedy will ask you to say one interesting thing about yourself that no one else in the room can say about themselves (he'll ask you this while sitting around a conference table with all the day's interviewees). Everyone's pretty nice and it's only like 3 interviews (one with Kennedy where he just flips through your app and asks you questions about the negative points in your application, and two "blind" interviews where the interviewers haven't seen your file). They also take you on a tour which doesn't last so long and then you can go.

Anyway, good luck!

That's about it, just be yourself.

hey i just got my acceptance letter to LSU shreveport!!!!

WOOHOO!!!!!!! Class of 2013!!!!

geaux tigers!

thanks guys for all of your help and advise for interviews!!

any advice on where is the best/cheap housing that takes pets?

Bump...any more Louisiana pre-meds out there? How are things going?

Geaux Louisiana!
louisiana-flag-waving-emoticon-us-state-animated.gif