Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Louisiana schools part 01

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TaylorS8008, Nov 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone else applying to schools in Louisiana (besides Tulane)? I applied to LSU in Shreveport and New Orleans. Interviewed in New Orleans and got a letter saying I was still under review. No word from Shreveport. My girlfriend has heard from neither since she sent in her secondaries. What have you heard?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cguidr4

cguidr4 Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed in Shreveport in mid-Dec. and recieved an acceptance letter about two days later. I haven't heard anything from N.O. . Anybody else accepted to LSU-S?

4. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i applied to both LSUS and LSUNO, no word from LSUS, but i interviewed at LSUNO on the 11th of Nov and was accepted 2 weeks later.

good luck guys

5. theterminator

theterminator Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed at LSU-Shreveport on 11/12/02 and accepted on 12/12/02. I also interviewed at LSU-New Orleans on 12/04/02 and accepted on 12/16/02.

6. berd101

berd101 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed at LSUNO Oct. 18 and got my acceptance about 2 weeks later

7. Brownskinladae

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All of you guys that were accepted- I am a junior right now, but I was wondering what are your stats. I want to go to a Louisiana school through early decision but I don't know if I stand a chance. My gpa is 3.5, but I won't know about my MCAT score until after April. I did research at Duke this summer, and I am a louisiana resident URM. Any advice?

8. berd101

berd101 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

LSU New Orleans is notorious for rejecting students applying right out of undergrad for the first time, and then accepting them the following year when they re-apply and show continued commitment to medicine. Shreveport is more friendly to 20-22 year old applicants, and their average stats are slightly lower. I was accepted to LSU New Orleans early in the application cycle this year, but I am almost 26 and am completing a graduate degree, so I think this mattered a lot more than my GPA or MCAT.

9. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

its hard for me to say what LSU NO wants in its applicants. and since i am just basing this stuff on my situation, maybe what berd said is more the truth

I got in applying as a senior.... your 3.5 is fine, just keep it up... get something above a 28 on your MCATs and you stand a good chance. I would also beef up that research experience, maybe start this semester, and definitely this upcoming summer... maybe its an ongoing dedication to med that they wanna see, i did like a year and a half of research

in the end, i guess it boils down to some sort of a crap shoot, but working on things such as your MCATs and experience just betters your odds

10. cguidr4

cguidr4 Member
    7+ Year Member

My stats :
    reapplicant
    28 MCAT
    3.8 gpa

11. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Congratulations to those of you already accepted! I am still waiting. Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets next (NO)? Supposedly they have a big meeting in January when they review everyone interviewed so far that has not been accepted and make a lot of decisions.

Cguidr4, any word from NO yet? We have similiar stats. I interviewed in October. Good luck.

12. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A friend of mine interviewed last wednesday, and she told me they told her the committee will meet on the 17th, next friday.

13. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Barakutha! I was dying to know. When you interviewed did they tell you they didn't make a lot of acceptances before their big January meeting? Or say anything about a big Jan. meeting? Just curious. Trying to assess my chances of hearing something soon. The wait is killing me.
    Do you plan on going there? I will if I get in, I thought the school was pretty awesome. If only they would let me know...

14. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah they said that most people didnt get in till their big meeting in january. best of luck! hopefully we'll be classmates.

if you got any more questions just go ahead and ask

15. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks barakutha! I sent you a PM.

16. randomlogik

randomlogik Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i havent heard of anyone getting in lately. I'm sure i can find out more once school starts back up next week. I can ask around. Myself, I've been waitlisted at NO. Personally, I think that they dont believe I will really go there which is probably right. One of my interviewers asked me if I had already been accepted elsewhere....which i had and kinda put me on the spot. Oh well,
    we'll see what happens. the thing i keep thinking of is the fact that its sooo much cheaper there. its hard to pass that up.

17. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, seems like it's been about a month since any acceptances went out. So hopefully the meeting tommorrow is 'the big one'. Nobody asked me if I had even applied to other schools. That's a sticky question, did you tell them about your acceptance? Well, hopefully there will be another coming your way and mine next week. And Monday is a holiday, so extra mailbox watching days for me..... Later guys.

18. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Any news yet for those still waiting? Too early I'm sure, but I'm going nuts.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if LSUNO still has the "dog lab" now that they have gone too a PBL curriculum? I was reading about it on another thread and wondered if they still did that or had replaced it with an alternative.

19. cguidr4

cguidr4 Member
    7+ Year Member

TaylorS008,

No word yet from N.O. for me. Last year I interviewed in March. Let me know when you and your girlfriend here something.

Does anybody prefer LSU-S over LSU-NO?
    Just wondering.

20. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

cguidr4,

No news yet. When you interviewed at New Orleans last year, how long after your interview was it before they let you know? Your grades and MCAT seem really competitive for the school. Did they give you any idea as to why you were not accepted? I hope you will have better luck this time.

I've heard a lot of good things about LSU-S also. There is a guy who posts on here with the user name Panda Bear. I PMed him and he was able to give me some great insight on the school. He is very happy there. He's a cool guy, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you sent him a PM asking about the school.

NO would be better for me because my family lives here and I could save a ton of money by living at home. But, that's what loans are for. I'll go where they take me.

Later,
    Taylor

21. cguidr4

cguidr4 Member
    7+ Year Member

Taylor,

I just interviewed in N.O.. Last year I interviewed in early March and I recieved a letter about two weeks later stating that the committee hadn't decided. I got my rejection letter early June. I met with Dr. Sam McClugage(Dean of admissions) that summer. He suggested I do more volunteer work. I think this will help my chances this year. Apparently, NO is big on hospital volunteer experience. I like both schools but NO would be alot closer to home for me too. Let me know when you hear something. Good luck.

22. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

anyone know when scholarships are assigned to the incoming class at LSU-NO?

23. berd101

berd101 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Barakutha,
    I think Dr. McClugage told me that the scholarship committee meets in March or April. I'll let you know if I hear anything....

24. bobmarley77

10+ Year Member

Just want to keep this thread going....

What do ya'll think about the student resource center at LSU-NO...man, isn't it just awesome? That got me so pumped that I felt like starting med school the day after the interview!! :D

25. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah same here... i'm in love too

what are you guys planning to do for housing? I signed up but im pretty sure i wont get off the waitlist till soph year. Hopefully they get that new residence hall built soon.

26. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought the resource center was awesome.

When I interviewed I remember them saying something about April for scholarships.

Bobmarley, when were you accepted? I am still under review post-interview.

Anyone know if LSU follows AAMC guidelines regarding filling a class by March 15? I am wondering because I was told I would know of a decision by June. Are all of those not immediately accepted placed on a waiting list? Or is the waiting list formed later? I have no idea where I stand right now.

Oh, if they do fill by March 15, is there a big batch of acceptances in March? I heard January, but no one I know got in in Jan.

Thanks for any advice.

27. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

From what I here ALOT of people get off the waitlist over the summer... so even if you are waitlisted its not a big thing to worry about.

So what's the deal with housing, any ideas? Hopefully they get their new dorm open in time for our class, although I think we will still be on the waitlist till soph year.

28. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

These are close:

http://www.hrihci.com/neworprop.html

I have a friend who used to live in Gravier Place, nice but pricey.

This site lets you search by price:

http://www.louisianaapartments.com/default.cfm

Some good info:

http://www.springstreet.com/apartments/fyp/reading_room/search/syw_neworleans.jhtml#para2.2

Some areas are safer than others. I know a ton of people who live uptown. Cool area. They have had minor crime problems. If you want something cheaper and safer, and don't mind a commute, you might check out Harahan, River Ridge, or Metairie. I live in Harahan. It's safe and quiet, not a bad commute. A lot of med students live in River Ridge.

Check these out:

http://www.louisianaapartments.com/standardsearch.cfm?bed=1%2C2%2C3%2C4%2C5%2C6%2C7%2C8&bath=%271%27%2C%271.5%27%2C%272%27%2C%272.5%27%2C%273%27&MinRent=492&maxrent=895&button=Search+Now%21&stateid=LA&State=Louisiana&city=%27River+Ridge%27&list=on

You could always contact realtors about renting a house. If you have roommates that's a good deal. The places uptown rent through realtors generally.

Anyway, hope that helps.

29. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh, thanks for the waitlist info. That is encouraging. Did your friend who interviewed in January hear back yet?

30. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah my friend recieved a 'no action' letter... so she is waiting for the next big meeting

I live in metairie, so I guess I'm going back to the 'rents for a year.

31. bobmarley77

10+ Year Member

I still am waiting on a response from LSU-NO. I am a reapplicant and I think that I should get in or at least get waitlisted this time around since I have made improvements in my application.

As far as housing, I'll probably be looking for an apartment in Metairie..I grew up there and know the area very well. Have some friends that still live out there so things will be great if I get in. Baton Rouge is boooorring!!!

32. bobmarley77

10+ Year Member

I wonder what percentage of people that receive a "no action" letter actually get in?? I had also received one last year in March and then got rejected in June.

I assume that all of us who received a "no action" letter have to wait until June for a response or does the committee ever reach a decision on an "under review" applicant at one of their "big meetings?"

33. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

I have no idea, I have been trying to figure this out. I think we are reviewed each time. I think everyone who has not been interviewed and who will not be interviewed are all rejected in March. So I assumed we would also hear something about our status at this time, accept, reject, waitlist. I don't think they reject people who have interviewed until June though. Supposedly we are not wait-listed now, just "no-action".

From what I understand they only accept a few at each meeting. If I had to guess, the class is probably only half filled by now. I could be totally wrong on that though.

When did you interview last year and this year? Are interviews just random or are the strongest candidates interviewed first?

I think we'll hear something again in March. Maybe they have a big meeting each month?

If anyone knows how this all works I'd like to hear it.

Anyone get in after receiving "no-action"? I'd really like to hear that.

34. 8744

8744 Guest

Non-Student
    If it helps you guys to know, I got my acceptance letter in late May. I interviewed in the middle of April, as I recall, which was suprising because I thought they were going to reject me outright when I didn't even get an invitation to interview until early April. I believe I had the last interview of the 2001 admission cycle.

At every meeting of their admission commitee, every applicant who has not been accepted is "presented" by somebody on the staff who is sort of like your advocate. I believe they meet every two weeks. You will not be formally regected until the class is full and the commitee stops meeting.

I decided on LSU Shreveport finally, but I really liked NO. Don't sell Shreveport short if you have the luxury of choosing. The nightlife isn't as good but we have a better schedule with fewer lecture hours, our class is smaller, and the cost of living is substantially less.

35. cguidr4

cguidr4 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

Just received a "no action" letter yesterday. My interview was a couple of weeks ago. I am just wondering also if anybody received an acceptance letter after initially getting a "no action" letter.

36. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

anyone else frustrated by how the people in administrative offices are very rude? or atleast the seem to be apathetic? i dunno, maybe it's just my experiences with LSU-NO

37. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, they are not to helpful over the phone. Mainly they are very VAGUE, about everything. I called once with questions before my interview and got the run around. I haven't dared call since. I'd really like to get some clarification on this no action stuff, but I doubt they would tell me.

Welcome to the ranks cguidr4. Hopefully they will take action soon for all of us (the good kind). Did they tell you anything about how it works when you interviewed?

38. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i have major issues with their financial aid office... NOONE CARES or KNOWS anything

also i'm pretty upset about the research opportunities this upcoming summer... my interviewer told me that there would be plenty of opportunities for me at LSU this upcoming summer. He basically gassed me up with compliments.. so as I looked into doing research this summer, turns out he is the head of research.. I talk to him and he is like, "Oh research is only for kids between year one and two." ARGHHHH

39. bobmarley77

10+ Year Member

What bugs me is that I really felt great after my interview. It's funny...one of the interviewers (the ER doc) said he was surprised that I didn't get in last year. At the end of the interview, he tells me that I have a "great record." Then I get a "NO ACTION" letter weeks later. What more can I do? Last year, McClugage advised me to get some volunteering experience, which I got tons of.

I wonder if the entire 25 person committee votes "yes" or "no" on each applicant? I guess we'll never know what goes on in the meetings...maybe they put all of our pictures on a board and play darts, LOL.

The waiting really sucks cause my lease for my apt in BR runs out May 30. I was hoping to relocate to NO before them. As of January, I am unemployed so I'm in limbo right now. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed!

40. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

I've heard that about financial aid. Maybe you could try talking to your pre-med advisor to help you sort it out. That sucks about the research, did he remember telling you that?

bobmarley, I know what you're saying. I also thought that my interview was great. I was surprised to get a no action letter. I am thinking that we are ranked and they just acccept a few at a time. Hopefully right now they have only accepted their very top applicants and the rest of us will get in later. I'm not even sure the entire committee meets each time. I doubt every applicant is brought up at each meeting. That would take days. I also doubt they all see your recs, personal statement etc. I think at this point we are a GPA and MCAT score. Ranked as such, then probed deeper when our time comes. Just a theory though, I really have no clue.

Do you file FAFSA if you haven't been accepted?

41. Emcat

Emcat Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey ya'll--

I'm an L1 at LSU-NO and wanted to answer Taylor's question about dog lab. It was included in the new curriculum so as of now it's still going on. Rumor has it that once the professor in charge of it retires (which will be pretty soon) they'll can it.

So far we've had one lab - and I was the only one out of 171 to opt out. :rolleyes: The school is legally required to offer an alternative, which I gladly did. A few more of my classmates will be joining me in opting out of the 2nd lab next week because they hated the first one. I really don't want to turn this into a debate of the pros and cons of dog lab though - a lot of people said they got a lot out of it.

Anyway, best of luck to all of you applicants! If you have any questions about the curriculum or professors or New Orleans please post them. I personally LOVE it here. The curriculum is exciting and most of the departments are well-organized. There is a tremendous energy within the student body that makes everyday fun!

Best wishes!

42. cguidr4

cguidr4 Member
    7+ Year Member

Taylor & Marley,

I feel the same as you guys. One of my interviewers said I had an outstanding application and hinted to me that he did not understand how I did not get in last year. I also surprisingly received a no action letter.
    It is my understanding that the commitee meets every three weeks or so. Many, but not all, the applications are reviewed and if yours come up the people who interviewed you can motion for an acceptance, rejection, or no action.

I'm wondering if you guys receive no action letters monthly or if you only got one and hadn't heard anything since. I just got mine last week.

Good luck,
    Cguidr4

43. bobmarley77

10+ Year Member

cguidr4,

I just received one "no action" letter and have heard nothing since. I HATE waiting! I wonder when the next meeting is? I assume in mid-March?

44. bobg504

bobg504 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was wondering if there were any URMs that have interviewed and if so what were your stats. I am applying this year and was wondering if LSU NO or LSU S were welcoming. Any reply would be nice....(this post is not meant to start a problem....just to ask a question to those who can answer it.)

45. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

not sure if this helps at all, but it seems like the class at LSU-NO is about 13% URM's

not sure how this compares to other schools

46. drhope31

drhope31 Junior Member

I have 4 comments for you guys or girls:
    1)LSU-NO is wonderful
    2)Being in MedSchool is alot more fun than applying for med school
    3)Once you get in,,,and you will(eventuallly) Enjoy Your Last Summer!
    4)Apply for dorms now if you are interested in them at all.

Oh and one extra one, the big meeting as you guys referred to it was in late February last year, and those getting pulled off the waiting list got their letter acceptance 1st week of March (some still got no action letter as well)...The next big one is in May with a few acceptance in between and thereafter...Hope this helps!

47. bobmarley77

10+ Year Member

Thanks for your input, Dr. Hope31!

Well, I hope that there is a big meeting at the end of this month and that us "no action" folks hear something soon. :D

48. cguidr4

cguidr4 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks drhope. LSU-NO is awesome. I'll be waiting for a letter(hopefully an acceptance) in March. Being in the "no action" club sucks.

49. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Dr. Hope! Cool, I guess tomorrow could be the day? At least we will have Mardi Gras to distract us. Too bad they don't e-mail to let you know, we'll have an extra wait with the holidays. With any luck we'll all join the acceptance club next week.

50. TaylorS8008

TaylorS8008 Member
    7+ Year Member

cguidr4, I was reading your above post. So, it is your interviewers (or one of them?) that ultimately decide your fate? If you get a no action, they moved for that or could it be that they moved for acceptance or rejection and the rest of the committee said no action? Just wondering if it says anything about how my interview went.

51. cguidr4

cguidr4 Member
    7+ Year Member

Taylor,

I really don't no what happens if one of your interviewers motion for an acceptance or rejection and the committee disagrees after a vote. All I know is that the people who interview you and maybe Dean McClugage are the only people who can make a motion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.