Louisiana schools part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AMCAS 2004 is up and available, don't know if it can be submitted yet. Have not gotten that far.

Bobmarley and others who applied last year: Do you remember when you got your final letters? I wonder if the mail runs Monday.

Members don't see this ad.

My rejection letter last year was dated May 23rd (which fell on a Thursday I think).

Hey guys

I'm a junior and will eventually apply to LSU (probably for the 2006 entering class). I just wanted to let you know I sympathize with what you're going through! The wait has to be really tough and I expect to be in the same boat in a few years myself! Can't wait to hear good news from you guys!!!

I do have a question though...I keep reading that LSUNO is really foucused on clinical not research experience, but the latter is more my strongsuit. I volunteered in an ER for 8 months and wasn't really planning on doing much else because I got really busy with school and doing research. Do you guys think it best that I get more volunteer experience since that seems to play a big role in LSUNO's decision, or just continue on doing more research? I'm thinking about meeting with Dr. McCluggage sometime this summer to ask his advice, but I'm kind of scared to for some reason!! haha

Anyway good luck to you guys! Oh and to barakutha, I also went to Grace King, but I was the class of 2000!

Misty

Members don't see this ad :)
misty: class of 2000?

so i'm guessing you had people like katie, sohan, etc etc in your class

and mr hernandez, mrs kennedy, etc etc

I miss those days, GK was a joke compared to college... oh well im done :)

anyone get anything today? HitokiriX, did your girlfriend receive anything?

She got her waitlist letter on Thursday, but she's preparing to reapply since the letter told her she'll have to wait till the end of June/start of July to hear about any progress on the waitlist.

Thanks. I guess this means those of us that didn't receive a thing were rejected? Oh well, time to reapply!! I don't have many things to change on my AMCAS so it will be pretty easy.

Nothing here either. Waitlist letters are already out? Bummer.

Where to go from here? I have been shadowing a doctor for about a year now and don't want to quit but I'll have to if I get a job. Then, there goes my clinical experience.

I'm also thinking about not applying this year, moving to Texas to live with my dad, establishing residency there and applying through their system the next year.

Misty, I would meet with him. Wish I had. Clinical experience is very important to them, but I guess it depends on your motivations in medicine. Are you interested in research or just a straight clinical career? He could probably guide you on where to go from here and let you know if what you have is enough.

Taylor,

I'm leaning towards staying here and getting into the Tulane School of public health, but I haven't eliminated the possibility of doing the same since my mother and sister live in Houston.

The Texas system has so many med schools and so it is easy to get into at least one if you are a resident.

In order to establish residency, I know that you have to live in Texas for a year, but do you also need to work in Texas for a year?

Will you still be meeting with McCluggage to see what he has to say?

Bob,

Don't know if you have to work a year. I will if thats what I do. I graduated high school there so I could work the residency thing from that angle. I have a chemistry degree so I will try to get a plant job or something.

I think I just want a fresh start. Lsu is a great school but the admissions process has been a disaster for me. Here's a question. If 200 of us are eliminated right off the bat come May why keep us hanging on for months and months like we have a chance when we don't? I don't get it. Telling you last summer that you were right there until the very end and giving you a sense of hope when they know everyone is right there until the end because they don't post-interview reject was just WRONG! You've got to be aggravated. On a side note rumor is my ex-girlfriend was rejected with no interview. So if you don't get an interview you are released from purgatory earlier.

Exactly, why do they make the 200 people who have no chance of getting in wait? It doesn't make sense!

Yeah, McCluggage gave me the impression last summer that I was very close to getting in. I don't consider not getting a waitlist letter as being "close." I was naive last year...didn't know that waitlist letters even existed.

I am definitely going to get some answers from him this summer just to see what he has to say.

Well, I guess this waiting has been for no reason. The secretary in the admissions office said all letters should be received by the end of this week. We'll have the official notice then.

I guess they don't care about having the rejected wait just a little longer and only sent out the acceptances and waitlisted immediately.

Good luck to everyone next year and maybe McCluggage will be able to give us some answers.

Just curious, did any of ya'll apply to out of state schools. I had an MCAT below 30 and only applied to the LSU Schools. After reading the "Accepted with MCATs under 30" thread in the pre-allo forum, I am going to apply to more schools next time. I really don't care about tuition costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bob-I also have a sub30 MCAT and did not apply out of state. When I reapply I may apply to some out of state schools. I think I would have a good shot through the Texas application system. There are so many schools and tuition is cheap. Are you planning to retake the MCAT? Since I am not reapplying this year I may retake next April and decide from there where to apply.

Yeah MDPHD2007, got to love that extra anticipation time for the rejection letters. What are your plans?

I'm going to get into an MPH program this fall (do some research), get at least two significant volunteer experiences, and take the April 2004 MCAT

I think that I might be able to claim Texas residency next year. I looked at the TMDAS website (http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/) and there is a residency questionaire on it. All I need to do next month is to register to vote in Texas, get a driver's license, register my car in Texas, and open up a bank account. My mother had moved from Louisiana to Texas in November so I can say that it is my permanent address.

I was thinking about applying to LSU-NO right now just to see. If I get in, then I'll put the MPH on hold and finish it up later. If I don't get in, then I'll continue with the MPH and hopefully, I score high enough on the MCAT and get into a texas school or a good school out of state.

TaylorS8008, I don't know yet what I'm doing. I want to talk to McCluggage first. I guess I'll probably see about getting some volunteer experience with some sort of patient contact (the only thing I'm missing).

I may apply early decision to LSU-NO to see if getting my app in early will help me. Last year my app didn't get in until after the August MCAT. It really depends on my talk with McCluggage.

Man, I can't believe that they make us wait this long for our rejection letters! I still haven't received it!! It seems like it would be better if they sent out e-mails!

Nothing here either. I agree e-mails would be better. These decisions were made over a week ago. Waiting for rejection just sucks. Assuming that is what we are waiting for. Any day now. Good luck guys, maybe one of us will get some shocking good news.

That's right, some positive thinking.

Maybe the rejections all went out and the acceptances are the last to be received. We can at least dream.

I called the admissions office and they said that the letters were mailed yesterday.

Here's something that will make ya'll laugh: for some reason, my car insurance and student loan bill that I was supposed to receive two weeks ago didn't get to me. Now, I am really freaking out. LOL, what if I was really mailed an acceptance letter and I didn't get it? Dreaming is great!

Damn, I just realized yesterday was memorial day so they really went out today. Oh well!!

Looks like tomorrow. At least the wait will be over. Did they say that would be the last of the letters? I guess we've got one more day to dream then...

anybody here deal with the housing people yet? It seems like their system is really really backwards, they dont even have records of who has been accepted or not...

Well, the letter arrived. It's was unbelievably thin. At least I know now and scheduled my meeting with McCluggage.

Good luck to everyone else.

Rejection. I guess that's that.

Bob, I am leaving to Dallas Friday to spend a few weeks with my dad and look for a job. I'm going to go by some of the medical schools and find out more about the residency requirement. I'll post if I find something out.

Good luck with your meeting MDPHD2007.

Congratulations to all of you accepted this year and good luck to you reapplicants!

I live in Baton Rouge so I won't get mine until tomorrow.

MDPHD2007, make sure you get as much as you can out of McCluggage. Good luck!

Taylor, good luck in finding a job and getting into a Texas school in 2005. PM me if you find out any additional info on Texas residency requirements.

Bob, I'll try to get something out of McCluggage but I spoke to him last year at this time before I applied and said he had high hopes for me. He was mostly positive except for the recommendation to retake the MCAT and raise my verbal score which I did.

I meet with him on the 9th. If I learn anything useful I'll let you guys know.

I didn't know that you had already met with him before. Then you must feel the same way I do. Last summer, he gave me so much positive feedback and I really don't know what happened??

What I'm guessing is that there was a significant increase in qualified applicants this time around. That is the only explanation that I have. If we would have applied last year with the stats we have now, I bet we would have been admitted. Oh well, let us know how your meeting goes. I may meet with him in July or so.

MDPHD, I'm meeting with McCluggage on the ninth too...several of you have mentioned meeting with him before, how much time did you get with him?

Misty, I don't remember exactly how long I met with him last year but it wasn't rushed at all. He was very friendly and encouraging (of course that didn't seem to get me anywhere). Good luck with your meeting and make sure that you get very clear answers from him about what they'll be looking for in your application.

I still haven't received my letter!! I didn't think that it took this long for mail to get from new orleans to baton rouge!

Hey bobmarley, have you gotten a letter up in Baton Rouge yet? Just wondering if maybe the two of us hadn't received ours yet.

I still have yet to recieve a letter from LSU! I called them yesterday to give them my change of address in St. Louis since I just graduated and moved outof my appartment but the secretary didn't tell me whether a letter had been sent out to me or not since I knew that people in NO had gotten them last week.

Hopefully this is still maybe some good news for me, and they have held me off till the final meeting. She told me that some more letters were going out soon. So maybe I am in that group? Just sitting around right now keeping my fingers crossed. :confused:

Zeus,

I hope you get good news!

I called the admissions office on Friday and dicovered that they had sent a letter to my old address (that week) by mistake even though I had notified them of the address change months ago. So, I should be getting mine today....I'm guessing it's a rejection letter.

hey for you guys who have gotten in, i was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing a 2 bedroom apartment in the residence hall on campus... it is around 458 a month, split two ways 229 each including electricity and water

just let me know... they said if I can't find a LSUHSC roomie i gotta pay full rent by myself

WHY DOESNT LSU ACCEPT OUT OF STATE STUDENTS? I KNOW MANY MED SCHOOLS AT LEAST CONSIDER THE BORDERING STATES, BUT LSU WONT EVEN TAKE A LOOK AT THE APPLICATION. WISH THEYD CHANGE THAT

Well, LSU is a state school and it's mission is to train physicians in the hopes that they will stay behind and serve the people of Louisiana. Plus, it's state funded (as are most if not all state schools), so if Louisiana tax payers are forking over dough to help subsidize an LSU med student's education, it might as well help out a resident of the state.

The only way an out-of-stater can get consideration is to be the child of an LSU med alum. As for considering applicants for bordering states, Arkansas has a med school, Mississippi has a med school, and Texas has like 50 medical schools.

yep. I'm reapplying. hopefully things will work out better this time around. I'm involved in more volunteer work now so it should make me more desirable to the schools. McCluggage also suggested that I needed to do this to improve my chances.

Cool, I'm doing the same: more volunteering and will be taking a few upper level science classes since I've been out of school for a while. I had a long talk with Dr. Eubanks and he was very encouraging.

Have you already submitted your AMCAS? Good luck!

great to see some action in this thread!

Actually, I'm still revising but will submit very shortly. How about you?

I submitted a couple of days ago. I changed my personal statement a lot and added a few things. Will be getting fresh recs in the upcoming weeks. I just hope they send the secondaries early this year!!

when did LSU-NO and LSU-S send out secondaries for the 2002-2003 application cycle?

Hey,

Last year, LSU-NO sent out the secondaries around September 10 or so. LSU-S had the secondary on-line last year and I think we were able to submit it around the second week of September.

I am applying to both of the LSU schools this year; this will be my second time to apply and I have done a few things to beef up my application and also met with Dr. Eubanks last summer. Where did most of ya'll go to undergrad at?

Hey,

I went to LSU. I'm actually moving to New Orleans in a week and will be taking a few classes at UNO. I'll probably volunteer somewhere there.

You'll have a blast living in New Orleans. I lived there for a short time while I worked at Tulane between undergrad and grad school. It's an incredible city and I definitely miss the food the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.