Louisiana schools part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one got an interview or an acceptance at any Louisiana school recently?
Do LSU schools have waitlists? What happens to those who do not receive an acceptance soon after their interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a third year here at LSU-S

Here's my three-years-out-of-date information form when I applied to LSU-S and LSU-NO.

At Shreveport, they interview around 200 people for 100 spots in the class. They told us that they generally have to make about 190 offers to get 100 acceptances so you see that your chances of acceptance are pretty good if you get an interview.

I understand that one guy in this year's freshman class was offered admission the day before the first day of first year.

I got late aceptances to both Shreveport and New Orleans.

Your mileage may vary and they may have changed the system. But if you get put on a wait-list your odds are pretty good. Of course, you might have to wait until the first round of acceptees decide to go somewhere else before your spot open up.

I believe they interview more people per spot at New Orleans. The wait list there means that you are reviewed every couple of weeks at some kind of "admission bullpen/auction/meeting" the admissions commitee has every two weeks or so until all of their seats are filled with confirmed acceptances.

Panda Bear:

Thanks for a very helpful reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Aug. MCAT ppl gotten interviews yet? Still waiting?

I am an August MCATer but I only mailed in Tulane sec app last week (hope I'm not too late in the game!). How do you check your status to ensure that you are complete? Is there a webpage that you could give me? Do you know? Thanks.:)

Kathy, the only way I know is to call the schools Admissions office. And typically they only take calls one or two days a week. :p

update:

I emailed Tulane and they sent a reply the same day saying my file was complete.

Does anyone know when the next admissions committee for LSU New Orleans is? I thought it was the Friday before Thanksgiving but someone recently told me otherwise. ??

Panda Bear,

I know you go to LSU-S so I was wondering if you could explain how the grading system works...are the classes pass/fail or is there some kind of GPA with class ranking? I really have no idea what to expect as far as grading goes...

Thanks for any clarification,
Dan

Hey Miss Millie,

I thought that it was the Friday before thanksgiving too. I had interviewed in October. What date have you heard...did that person interview recently...they might have changed it???

Dan,

Classes are grade
A 90-100
B 80-90
C 70-80
F <70. Fail and must repeat.

I'm still in my first semester so I haven't gotten any final grades. I hear rumors that they curve some courses. i.e. biochem, anatomy b/c they can't fail everyone.
Also, when you get your test grade via web it comes as a percentage; you also get a rank for each test i.e. x/100. This gives you an idea of where you are in the class.

Panda,
Not that it is important, but I am interested to know if you ever get an overall ranking say at the end of first semester or first year. Also, do you know how much they usually curve biochem?
Any input would be great.

Bob Marley,

At my interview on 10/29 they told me that. However I spoke to some people @ Shreveport interview and they said that they were told at their interview on 10/28 the committee would next meet on 11/17. However, that's a Monday and I was under the impression that the committee always meets on Fridays. But, I also thought it met every 3rd Friday and if it meets on 11/21 then that will have been 5 weeks or so. I am guessing there were schedule conflicts and they had to postpone the meeting until the 21st. ?

Originally posted by cguidr4
Dan,

Classes are grade
A 90-100
B 80-90
C 70-80
F <70. Fail and must repeat.

I'm still in my first semester so I haven't gotten any final grades. I hear rumors that they curve some courses. i.e. biochem, anatomy b/c they can't fail everyone.
Also, when you get your test grade via web it comes as a percentage; you also get a rank for each test i.e. x/100. This gives you an idea of where you are in the class.

Panda,
Not that it is important, but I am interested to know if you ever get an overall ranking say at the end of first semester or first year. Also, do you know how much they usually curve biochem?
Any input would be great.

Somewhere on the online Gradebook at the end of your first semester they will list your overall class rank.

They can and do fail some people. Our class lost three people after the first semester. Two of them came back the following year and one decided to stay away.

But that being said as long as you stay with the pack and don't drop too far behind the class average you will be OK.

I want to apologize for screwing up anatomy for you guys. As you know, our school is organ based and other then the introductory anatomy course in first semester we have little snippets of anatomy for the first two years as opposed to one big first semester course.

My class was the first on this "new curriculum" and during second year very few of us actually went to all of the scheduled anatomy labs. Many of us went to none of them to be precise. This kind of pissed off Dr. Seelig so I understand that now attendence at lab is mandatory and is enforced by a weekly mini-practical at tankside for a grade as opposed to having a practical at the end of the course.

Sorry.

I also want to encourage you to keep plugging away. First semester is the worst because most of what you learn is trivia and only clinically relavent in the broadest sense.

Just like college organic chemistry is irrelevant to medical school biochemisitry, biochemistry is largely irrelevant to your third and fourth years. It is sufficient to know some general concepts and that's about it. There is a light at the end of your tunnel.

When you start Musculoskeletal in second semester you will start to learn the important stuff.

By the beginning of second year you will have learned how to study efficiently and not only will the material be more interesting but you will spend less time looking at it. Some people might disagree. This was just my experience.

Third year is a little bit of a shock because after two years of pretty much making your own hours and coming to class late in your pyjamas you all of a sudden have to report in at ungodly hours and stay until the evening.

Especially if you start on Surgery. We typically had to get to the hospital by 5:30 AM to see our patients and write notes to be ready to round with the chief resident at 6:30. Pretty much six days a week plus overnight call.

OB-Gyn has similar hours. Medicine is a little better. Peds is a cakewalk as are surgical sub-specialties and Neuro-psych (except for the two weeks of neuro-surgery)

Hey, word of advice. A little early, I know, but get into Rotation 4 if you can. We did Surgery first, then OB-Gyn. We will finish Medicine next month and, having gotten through the three hardest rotations, after the Christmas break we will be slacking big-time, "living off the fat of the land" so to speak.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Panda, I will be starting in the fall. And I was wondering what do you suggest about the first semester. I mean how much did you have to study, did you have any sort of life? I am married and about 3 or 4 years older than the average student coming out of college and was just wondering what I could expect. Also, do they have a good orientation type situation or do they just throw you in there. Any advice would be great. THANKS!

For those of you that have heard from Tulane, how much later was it (if indeed later) than hearing from New Orleans? I am wondering if I will hear from Tulane.

Do mean heard from as in acceptance or as in interview?

Heard from means any correspondence since submitting secondary and file being completed. Basically, interview is what I meant.

Got cha. I think i received my interview invite from Tulane about a week or so after interviewed at new orleans (october 7th).

I interviewed at LSU-New Orleans on Oct. 7.....I heard from Tulane around Oct. 22 and interviewed there on November 5. They said that their committee meets every Tuesday, but I've yet to hear from them.

Originally posted by cheesypoofs
Hey Panda, I will be starting in the fall. And I was wondering what do you suggest about the first semester. I mean how much did you have to study, did you have any sort of life? I am married and about 3 or 4 years older than the average student coming out of college and was just wondering what I could expect. Also, do they have a good orientation type situation or do they just throw you in there. Any advice would be great. THANKS!

First of all, you will probably really like the new curriculum. On most days during first year you will probably be done for the day by two o'clock leaving you, in theory, plenty of time to study without having to "burn the midnight oil."

I am forty and I have three kids (two when I started medical school). During first and second year I had plenty of time to spend with my family. Because I took advantage of free afternoons to study it was really, from a time point of view, no different then working a typical eight-to-five job.

During first semester I probably studied about three or four hours a day. I never crammed for tests or pulled all-nighters. On the other hand I studied consistently every day except Sunday (usually) and made sure that my three or four hours were all quality study hours.

A warning, however. Your mileage will vary. I have never "honored" a class and I am in the bottom third of class rank.

On the other hand, I have comfortably passed everything, have never failed a test, and generally had a reasonably stress-free first and second year.

Many people will claim to study eight, ten, or twelve hours a day but what they don't tell you is that they might blow off studying for a couple weeks after a test and then fight to catch up. Or they might spend eight hours at the library but four of those hours are spent "grab-assing," day-dreaming, or logged on to SDN.

I would recommend that you study like a fiend until the first test (like I did) and see how you do. If I recall the first test covered four weeks of material. By all means overdo it. Only start slacking off (again, like I did) once you see what it takes to pass.

This will draw flames to me but after first semester I kind of got the hang of it and with the exception of studying for Step 1 in the Spring of second year I really only put in about two hours a day of studying. Less as we got closer to the end of second year.

You will get up to seven weeks off to study for Step 1 so don't sweat it. I may not have been top of the class but I handily beat the class average for Step 1 scores.

They will have a one week orientation for you when you start in August. This orientation is about four-and-a-half days too long, if you ask me. Mostly they will stroke your egos and and tell you, repeatedly, that you are good enough, you are smart enough, and gosh-darnit, people like you.

Stand by for the "masturbation is OK" lecture. (You'll see.)

Don't sweat it. Enjoy the week. Come Monday of second week you will feel like an information train has slammed into you and all the happy-happy fuzzy orientation propaganda will fade quickly from memory.

Then it will just be a grind, a slow, painful slog to Christmas break. Just put your head down and forge ahead. keep a good attitude and remember that second year is better then first year and third year, except for the hours, beats the crap out of both first and second year.

I have only attended one medical school so I have no basis for comparrison with other schools. But I like LSU Shreveport just fine and have never regretted quitting a perfectly good career to go to medical school.

Oh, and don't, don't, don't buy any textbooks unless you don't care about money. I know they will give you a list of required texts but since 99% of the lectures are on power-points which are available on our web site and you will probably organize a (redundant) note taking service you will not really need the textbooks.

The only books from the required list that are either useful or good to have are Netter's, Robin's pathological Basis of Disease, and a good physiology textbook like Guyton.

Plus it is not efficient to study from textbooks. Too much trivia and no way of knowing what is important or testable. Get review books instead like the BRS Gridbooks.

Does anyone know when Louisiana schools are sending out the next round of acceptances? I do not think LSU-S has accepted anyone so far. Right?

Quest,

I don't think Shreveport has accepted anyone yet. The first interviews were last Tuesday. I think the committee meets this Thursday 11/20. I think New Orleans meets this Friday and sends letters out next week but have heard otherwise (people that interviewed before me were told a different date). That's all I know right now.

The LSU committee may have met last Friday or may be meeting today, as per your earlier post. It would make sense to me because LSU's deadline for submitting applications to AMCAS was last Saturday (11/15). I guess the committee would like to take a look at what is in the pipeline before handing out acceptances for the recent interviewees (if there are numerous "quality" applications forthcoming , then the school may be more stingy with their acceptances). Just my conjecture, but your letters may already be in the mail.

thanks panda bear, your insight was great. I appreciate the advice and good luck to you!

Originally posted by MissMillie
Quest,

I don't think Shreveport has accepted anyone yet. The first interviews were last Tuesday. I think the committee meets this Thursday 11/20. I think New Orleans meets this Friday and sends letters out next week but have heard otherwise (people that interviewed before me were told a different date). That's all I know right now.

Ok, I'm assuming these are early round acceptance letters. Does that mean that new interview invites will be sent out at the same time??

Probably close to the same time, but I am not sure. These letters should be about 2nd round interviewees and maybe 1st rounds that weren't accepted on the 1st round of letters which was sent out a few weeks ago.

Here are the official interview dates for LSU-Shreveport: (We got these from the admissions office so we could sign up to give tours.)

November 4, 11, 18, 25
December 2, 9, 16
January 6, 13, 20, 27
February 3, 10, 17, 24
March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30

They will interview every tuesday with the exception of Christmas break until March 30th. If you have not gotten an interview invite yet don't give up hope. They usually invite and interview in two waves, one before Chirstmas, one after. In other words you wull probably get a letter in December for interviews after Christmas.

I will be giving the tour for those interviewing on December 16th.

Panda,

Man, that is a HUGE load off. I wish every MS were this helpful. Remind me to buy you a beer if I get interviewed. :D

MissMillie:

Any news from New Orleans?

It does not look like that LSU-NO has mailed any decisions out this week. Perhaps they are meeting this Friday?

Quest,

From my understanding they are meeting this Friday and sending out letters most likely next Tuesday. Isnt it true that they will accept practically no one immediately, i.e. 90% of the people will go into the holding pattern for at least one round?

hey, does anyone know the secondary website real quick for lsu-no i've misplaced mine and wanted to take a look at it for a friend,
thanks

Miss Millie, I hope that you are right about no one getting in immediately...I got a no action from LSU-NO today!

Bob Marley,

No I havent gotten anything yet. When did you interview? Is this your first letter from them?

I interviewed during the last week of October....I'm a rereapplicant so I'm really frustrated at the "no action" letter (don't think they send more than one no action letter)....hopefully, they are just waiting on my grades for this semester and I'll get in???

Bob Marley,

I interviewed 10/29. I didnt realize the letters were already sent out. Don't worry, they definitely send out more than one holding letter. I think most of the people who are accepted get at least one of those.

I hope that you're right! My letter was dated 11/17 by the way...expect a letter soon.

I completed at New Orleans YESTERDAY. WHOO HOO. After all the mixups, screw ups, etc., they finally found everything.

Maybe they'll review today and mail an invite Tues.? Eh? :)

Howdy y'all....I interviewed on Oct. 30, and got an acceptance letter dated Nov. 17th. However, my stats might be a little above average, and I've always been a lucky SOB. Good luck to you all!

Congrats Johnny!
Anyone else get accepted last week?

Yes, Johnny, congratulations. You posted your MCAT score on another thread. A 40 is a fantastic score. What was your secret?;)

No secret - I took a prep course at Colorado State U (not kaplan) which helped a lot, took old MCATs for the six saturdays leading up to the test to get used to the format, and basically studied my a$$ off. Being enrolled in cell bio during the test really helped too - so much from that class was on the Biological science section. and mostly, I got lucky! Good luck to you!

I just got my interview call today; I'm going down to LSU-NO on Dec. 16th.

Anybody else coming with me?? :)

Btw,Ringo, I think you should stick with LSU over UAB. Charity hospital is one of the most respected trauma centers in the US, plus think of how much more you'll get to see (medical or otherwise) in Nawlins compared to Alabama! (ick)

Originally posted by chameleonknight
I just got my interview call today; I'm going down to LSU-NO on Dec. 16th.

Anybody else coming with me?? :)

Btw,Ringo, I think you should stick with LSU over UAB. Charity hospital is one of the most respected trauma centers in the US, plus think of how much more you'll get to see (medical or otherwise) in Nawlins compared to Alabama! (ick)

Congratulation:clap: :clap:

Has anyone else heard anything after being put on the waiting list from the first round of interviews? I interviewed in the middle of October, recieved a no action letter about a week later, but have not recieved anything after the most recent meeting that obviously took place last Monday.

Does anyone know when the next admissions committee meeting for LSU-New Orleans is?

Hey Miss Millie,

I've been wondering about that the other day....I'm hoping that they may have one before the holidays??

The "no action" is a headache because retaking the MCAT in April is on my mind now....

Status
Not open for further replies.