Louisiana State University c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also how many OOS ended up getting folder reviews that you guys know of?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know around what date LSU will finish folder reviews for OOS and begin notifying about acceptances?

Could be any day now. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and ask! Then you could update us all . It seems to me they are moving faster than in previous years as folder review notifications went out way earlier.

I am hopeful that we may hear today!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I just sent an email, so hopefully I can get an update.

Reactions: 2 users
I just sent an email, so hopefully I can get an update.

I would assume you all would hear soon they told Instates they would hear about interviews before they went on winter break dec. 20

Update for OOSers:

"We are still aiming before our office leaves for Christmas break on December 20th. We still have reviewers that have not reviewed their files yet and we’re diligently monitoring them and sending reminders.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Karena"

So we are in the same boat as IS interviewees.

Update for OOSers:

"We are still aiming before our office leaves for Christmas break on December 20th. We still have reviewers that have not reviewed their files yet and we’re diligently monitoring them and sending reminders.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Karena"

So we are in the same boat as IS interviewees.

Well that sucks! Guess we gotta be patient and wait longer

Last edited:
Current 1st year at LSU procrastinating finals. I went to LSU for undergrad and consider myself an average student. Undergrad cumulative GPA was 3.5 and science GPA was 3.4. GRE a 308. My interview went really well and I was able to connect with the interviewers which I think was a difference maker. The curriculum is pretty time consuming and I never studied everyday until I got here. If anyone has questions let me know.

Current 1st year at LSU procrastinating finals. I went to LSU for undergrad and consider myself an average student. Undergrad cumulative GPA was 3.5 and science GPA was 3.4. GRE a 308. My interview went really well and I was able to connect with the interviewers which I think was a difference maker. The curriculum is pretty time consuming and I never studied everyday until I got here. If anyone has questions let me know.
Were your last 45 and prerequisite GPAs around those numbers too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just putting out feelers for anyone with suggestions for temp housing in Covington! I just learned about a paid summer program for vet students at Tulane University that I'm interested in but have no idea what to do for housing.

Just putting out feelers for anyone with suggestions for temp housing in Covington! I just learned about a paid summer program for vet students at Tulane University that I'm interested in but have no idea what to do for housing.
Honestly you may be able to work out a deal with an Airbnb (a friend of mine did that for her externship) or with someone willing to lease month by month. Alternatively you could live in New Orleans and drive across the lake to Covington.

How much experience did you have coming in? And what has been your most/least favorite thing about the CVM?

How much experience did you have coming in? And what has been your most/least favorite thing about the CVM?
I worked as a feeder/tour guide at a local exotic animal preserve on the weekends for 6 months, kennel assistant for 6 months, vet tech assistant for a year at the same clinic after a promotion, and shadowed a large animal vet for 1 week during the summer. My class has both extremes of experience from researching and aiding in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill to just working as a kennel assistant. Just gotta have a well rounded enough resume.

I'll start off with my favorite thing before the least favorite.
It is possible to have a life outside of veterinary school. The culture and people within the school strive for physical and mental wellness. Always different wet labs, social events, and fun things to do. My classmates certainly make the process enjoyable.

Least favorite right now would be some of the introductory courses we take this first semester such as physiology and histology. You'll probably have this feeling wherever you go. Just gotta work through it and get that base knowledge out of the way.

I worked as a feeder/tour guide at a local exotic animal preserve on the weekends for 6 months, kennel assistant for 6 months, vet tech assistant for a year at the same clinic after a promotion, and shadowed a large animal vet for 1 week during the summer. My class has both extremes of experience from researching and aiding in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill to just working as a kennel assistant. Just gotta have a well rounded enough resume.

I'll start off with my favorite thing before the least favorite.
It is possible to have a life outside of veterinary school. The culture and people within the school strive for physical and mental wellness. Always different wet labs, social events, and fun things to do. My classmates certainly make the process enjoyable.

Least favorite right now would be some of the introductory courses we take this first semester such as physiology and histology. You'll probably have this feeling wherever you go. Just gotta work through it and get that base knowledge out of the way.
Thanks so much! I haven't been able to tour LSU yet and I'm waiting until I hear about acceptance to visit, but I've heard great things so fingers crossed!

Hi fellow anxious applicants! I'm so glad I found this forum so I can stress with the rest of you. Weirdly, there is some comfort in knowing you aren't alone. For reference purposes:
I am OOS
prereq GPA: 3.72
Last 45 hr GPA: 3.98
GRE: 308
I just finished a Masters of Science in Agriculture (Thesis: Equine digestion project) and I'm mostly nervous because, although I have tons of animal experience and research hours, I don't have many hours of veterinary experience other than breeding mares and working with vets working on performance horses! I applied for the PhD/DVM program at LSU because I intend on doing research and maybe have a job in academia, perhaps teaching vet students, rather than working in clinical practices! I know I'm in "folder review" but that's about it.

Gosh, I hope we get good news early this week.

*asking for a friend*
If I keep checking the portal, are decisions going to come faster? ;)

Reactions: 1 users
*asking for a friend*
If that worked, decisions would have come last month lol

• Haha
*asking for a friend*

Okay friends, the anticipation was killing me so I called the student affairs office. The committee is meeting tomorrow so we will not know the answer today but she said VERY soon and no later than Friday. She said they are not doing interviews for out of state, and keep checking the status on the portal but they are likely to send out an email when the decisions have been released! I have a feeling if they are meeting tomorrow the notifications will come out on Wednesday. JUST A FEW MORE AGONIZING DAYS!!

Okay friends, the anticipation was killing me so I called the student affairs office. The committee is meeting tomorrow so we will not know the answer today but she said VERY soon and no later than Friday. She said they are not doing interviews for out of state, and keep checking the status on the portal but they are likely to send out an email when the decisions have been released! I have a feeling if they are meeting tomorrow the notifications will come out on Wednesday. JUST A FEW MORE AGONIZING DAYS!!
Thanks for calling! I can stop checking so often today, haha

OMG I cannot wait! Really hoping to hear some good news! Thank you kindly for calling. I emailed last week and haven't stopped jittering since.

Good luck to you all. LSU is a great place.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just out of curiousity, has anyone in holistic review seen any changes? Did your folder get switched to folder review or rejected?

Just out of curiousity, has anyone in holistic review seen any changes? Did your folder get switched to folder review or rejected?

What is the difference between folder review and holistic review? Mine has been in folder review and was never in holistic and I was wondering if you knew what this meant

Well, according to the posts from previous members, some applicants didn't reach the benchmark for a faculty folder review but instead qualified for a holistic review from an administrative member that checks to see if their experiences, eLORs, achievements, and essays make them qualified candidates that then moves them into folder review by the admissions committee. That's the way I took it because I went straight into folder review as well.

My portal hasn’t update in a week. Anyone else?

Mine says last updated Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:24 PM (cst).
I don’t think it really means anything ... maybe just that no one from holistic review has been rejected or moved to folder review?

Mine says last updated Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:24 PM (cst).
I don’t think it really means anything ... maybe just that no one from holistic review has been rejected or moved to folder review?
who knows at this point. Just thought it was unusual because it was showing as updated at least twice any given week.

well, if the committee is meeting today to finalize decisions I’m sure they’re done with folder reviews and such... I bet the next system update we get will be it.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure how you would, buuuut does anyone know if they’re taking as many OOS people as last year? It looks like over the last 3 years the number of OOS students has increased each cycle

I’m not sure how you would, buuuut does anyone know if they’re taking as many OOS people as last year? It looks like over the last 3 years the number of OOS students has increased each cycle
If you google "LSU Admissions Committee", you can find a page that lists the professors and people on it. At the bottom of the page, there are meetinf minutes from last cycle. If you peruse through them, they mention sending out more acceptances (I think about 100 or more) for OOS and less waitlisting since most OOS students will decline their seat in favor of IS. I find this webpage interesting because it has the same layout as the LSU portal, and specific student names are mentioned in some of the minutes. I think it might have been a mistake, because otherwise it may be a FERPA violation. So please be discretionary with the student information!

If you google "LSU Admissions Committee", you can find a page that lists the professors and people on it. At the bottom of the page, there are meetinf minutes from last cycle. If you peruse through them, they mention sending out more acceptances (I think about 100 or more) for OOS and less waitlisting since most OOS students will decline their seat in favor of IS. I find this webpage interesting because it has the same layout as the LSU portal, and specific student names are mentioned in some of the minutes. I think it might have been a mistake, because otherwise it may be a FERPA violation. So please be discretionary with the student information!

WOW! That was crazy!!! I had no idea they go so deep in the waitlist! Did you see the February 2019 minutes? It said only 4 OOS had accepted thus far and 25 spots needed to be filled. I guess they still had pending offers because that doesn't add up to the 36 they took.

Lol looks like LSU is now aware that those minutes were public cause they seem to have taken those pages down

Oh, well that is interesting. They have been up for months! I thought it may have been intentional to leave them up, but that is not so. I can appreciate the quick response.
Lol looks like LSU is now aware that those minutes were public cause they seem to have taken those pages down

Looks like the system just updated today at 1:33 PM, has anyone’s status changed? Mine still says folder under review.

They updated today. Could we be hearing decisions in a couple of hours?

Oops, didn't refresh my app. I haven't seen any changes on my end. Just a heart attack from seeing it updated.
Looks like the system just updated today at 1:33 PM, has anyone’s status changed? Mine still says folder under review.
They updated today. Could we be hearing decisions in a couple of hours?

I was going to send say the same thing! My heart sunk a little when I saw it had updated and my folder was still under review!! I’m glad I’m not alone

This is so stressful! Do you think they would update it twice in one day?

I’m IS and still no change here either.....

Not today friends! There is still the possibility of tomorrow.

Just a friendly bit of info from someone who religiously refreshed LSU SVM’s portal around this time last year praying for a status change: It is my belief that each time SVM staff gets into the portal, for any reason, the applicant’s end shows it had been “updated” even though nothing appears to have changed.

Don’t look too much into these “updates” and although I know it’s hard, try to relax a bit. You’ll know when an update is really something major. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users