Louisville Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCIllini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have good information on Louisville's dental program? Clinical vs. Research? Quality of facilities?

I'm currently a resident of Texas & will apply to the three schools here, but was also considering some out-of-state options. I see they accept a fairly large number of out-of-state applicants.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

FCIllini said:
Does anyone have good information on Louisville's dental program? Clinical vs. Research? Quality of facilities?

I'm currently a resident of Texas & will apply to the three schools here, but was also considering some out-of-state options. I see they accept a fairly large number of out-of-state applicants.

Thanks.

They do accept a large number of out-of-state applicants. I was quite impressed with this school. They have a very good clinical program and their facilities are o.k. I just found out that they will be building brand new clinics, so that's a good thing. Their staff is very friendly and approachable. I was impressed by the hospitality, the program and the school overall. If I wasn't accepted to my state school, FOR SURE I'd probably attend Louisville.

I had a problem with them recieving my LOR from one person. I had to send it 3 times for some strange reason. Back in early November they said that they had received it and that my file was complete. A couple of days ago I called them because I hadn't heard anything and they said that they were still missing this same letter. After talking to the girl she said that she would look for it and I was to call her back. This was on thursday. I called on friday and they said that yes, they did have the letter but it wouldn't do me any good because there last interview date was monday. So basically tough **** for me. What a bunch of A-holes. What really T'd me off is that every time that I talked to them on the phone early in the process they said that they love having non-traditional students like me and that I would "fit in", they were actually the friendliest and their school sounded pretty promising for me. Oh well, Off to Buffalo I go.

Members don't see this ad :)
TucsonDDS said:
Oh well, Off to Buffalo I go.

Or to Arizona... don't give up hope, it's still not over.

TucsonDDS said:
I had a problem with them recieving my LOR from one person. I had to send it 3 times for some strange reason. Back in early November they said that they had received it and that my file was complete. A couple of days ago I called them because I hadn't heard anything and they said that they were still missing this same letter. After talking to the girl she said that she would look for it and I was to call her back. This was on thursday. I called on friday and they said that yes, they did have the letter but it wouldn't do me any good because there last interview date was monday. So basically tough **** for me. What a bunch of A-holes. What really T'd me off is that every time that I talked to them on the phone early in the process they said that they love having non-traditional students like me and that I would "fit in", they were actually the friendliest and their school sounded pretty promising for me. Oh well, Off to Buffalo I go.[/QUOTE}

TucsonDDS - if you don't mind me asking. What type of DAT scores & GPA did you have as a "non-traditional" student. I'm in the same boat.

Great school, wish I applied there while I had the chance.

Consider it.

I think it's a great school too! :D

I will be applying to this school in May... with 3.4 GPA and 3.3 Sci (DAT - 17/18/17 AA/TS/PAT).

Is this competitive enough for Louisville?

Please share your stats - for those applying too?

thanks

The Candidate said:
I will be applying to this school in May... with 3.4 GPA and 3.3 Sci (DAT - 17/18/17 AA/TS/PAT).

thanks

If you live in KY, maybe.

As an aside, I think UofL is a very good school. They have a zoo dentistry elective. Also, at my interview they told me the new clinics would not be done in time for the class of 09 to use them.

OpenWide said:
If you live in KY, maybe.

Really?

This is the actual status for the incoming classes in the past 8 years, I think I am somewhat competitive, if not very competitive.

Year GPA Sci AA PAT

1998 3.32 3.21 18 17

1999 3.42 3.29 17 16

2000 3.35 3.23 17 17

2001 3.37 3.23 18 18

2002 3.30 3.16 18 18

2003 3.30 3.20 17 17

Mine 3.41 3.32 17 17 :D

Source: http://www.dental.louisville.edu/future_students/dmd_criteria.htm

FCIllini said:
TucsonDDS said:
I had a problem with them recieving my LOR from one person. I had to send it 3 times for some strange reason. Back in early November they said that they had received it and that my file was complete. A couple of days ago I called them because I hadn't heard anything and they said that they were still missing this same letter. After talking to the girl she said that she would look for it and I was to call her back. This was on thursday. I called on friday and they said that yes, they did have the letter but it wouldn't do me any good because there last interview date was monday. So basically tough **** for me. What a bunch of A-holes. What really T'd me off is that every time that I talked to them on the phone early in the process they said that they love having non-traditional students like me and that I would "fit in", they were actually the friendliest and their school sounded pretty promising for me. Oh well, Off to Buffalo I go.[/QUOTE}

TucsonDDS - if you don't mind me asking. What type of DAT scores & GPA did you have as a "non-traditional" student. I'm in the same boat.

I had a 3.1ish Overall, 3.3ish science and a 3.4ish bcp. I did well on my DAT with a 24AA, 21TS and 21PAT.

wimmcs said:
Or to Arizona... don't give up hope, it's still not over.

True, thanks for the words of encouragement.

TucsonDDS said:
True, thanks for the words of encouragement.

I do wish you the best and hopefully we'll be classmates!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
The Candidate said:

thanks

I think you are competitive, however, we are seeing a trend of applications overall becoming more and more competitive. There are plenty of people with better scores than yours, so make sure that you stand out from the crowd.

Typically, which school in Kentucky do most Kentucky residents apply to? UK or UofL?

and why?

NCdds said:
I think it's a great school too! :D
Didn't you turn down UNC, to attend Louisville?

Who cares about their published numbers!!!!!!!! I applied with a 3.5, 3.4 sci GPA, 18 AA, 19 TS, 17 PAT. I got into three schools. Haven't heard a dang thing from Louisville. Being an out of stater is a HUGE disadvantage to get in there. Numbers are numbers, find the average out of state stats for LOUISVILLE then see if you are competitive. I am willing to bet probably not, not to be a downer, just want to say it how it is.

The Candidate said:
Typically, which school in Kentucky do most Kentucky residents apply to? UK or UofL?

and why?

As a KY resident, I got into UofL with a 3.7 overall gpa and 3.5 science gpa. Before I took the DAT, I consulted with an admission committe member, and he told me to shoot for 18AA on the dat just to be on the safe side. On my DAT, I ended up getting 18/19/16, which was good enough, but I think a lot of the out of state people who got in for the class of '09 had some killer DAT scores. I even know a lot of in-state people this year (including the president of the predental society at UofL undergrad) who got wait-listed (still haven't gotten in) and their stats were right around average...and they're KY residents. So, if anything, this just goes to show how much more competative this app cycle was, and I'm willing to bet the next one will be even more so. Your stats are definetly NOT shabby, but they likely won't stand out in a crowd...maybe if you retake your DAT just to bump each score up by a couple of points, since you have plenty of time to study, I think you'd be in excellent shape! :thumbup: Also, get your application in as early as possible...UofL starts interviewing super early in the cycle...I had my interview in August!

As far as where most KY residents apply, most people apply to both schools...they are both very strong programs. Anyone who goes to UofL undergrad and gets into ULSD, likely will stay here in Louisville, rather than moving to Lexington to go to UK. UK, however, is even harder to get into, b/c their class size is much smaller...I think right around 50 people per class, compared to 80 people per class at Louisville.

Hope, that helps....feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about the ULSD...and good luck! :luck: :)

Thanks Irene010.

Check your PM.

Irene010 said:
As a KY resident, I got into UofL with a 3.7 overall gpa and 3.5 science gpa. Before I took the DAT, I consulted with an admission committe member, and he told me to shoot for 18AA on the dat just to be on the safe side. On my DAT, I ended up getting 18/19/16, which was good enough, but I think a lot of the out of state people who got in for the class of '09 had some killer DAT scores. I even know a lot of in-state people this year (including the president of the predental society at UofL undergrad) who got wait-listed (still haven't gotten in) and their stats were right around average...and they're KY residents. So, if anything, this just goes to show how much more competative this app cycle was, and I'm willing to bet the next one will be even more so. Your stats are definetly NOT shabby, but they likely won't stand out in a crowd...maybe if you retake your DAT just to bump each score up by a couple of points, since you have plenty of time to study, I think you'd be in excellent shape! :thumbup: Also, get your application in as early as possible...UofL starts interviewing super early in the cycle...I had my interview in August!

As far as where most KY residents apply, most people apply to both schools...they are both very strong programs. Anyone who goes to UofL undergrad and gets into ULSD, likely will stay here in Louisville, rather than moving to Lexington to go to UK. UK, however, is even harder to get into, b/c their class size is much smaller...I think right around 50 people per class, compared to 80 people per class at Louisville.

Hope, that helps....feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about the ULSD...and good luck! :luck: :)
hey I don't usually post in the pre-dental forum, but I just wanted to say hi. I think I'm goin to Louisville Med. It's a pretty nice town. It's definately a lot more diverse than Lexington. but anyhow. just wanted to say hope ya'll end up comin. maybe the med school and the dental school classes will party together or something.. anyhow. gluck!

UofL IMO was a great school with very nice people. The town was great and I would have gone there.

I'm a non-trad out of stater with a gpa 3.45 and sci gpa 3.6 and 21/21/20. The entire interview they told me how much they like non-trads and I was a great applicant and would fit in well and was sure to get in, but when it came down to it "blah blah blah" I think is what they meant to say, did'nt get in, oh well I had plenty of other choices.

wammy

did they say why they rejected you?

wammy - Your stats surely look competitive at any school in the nation... why Lousiville turn their back on you?

I think CASE is also another good school by the way.

Thanks

No, they never gave me a reason why they didn't accept me I just got the same standard letter everyone else got. Funny thing is, like I said the whole interview they were making me think I was already in. For anyone who has interviewed their you know they give an exit interview and pretty much tell you what to expect when Dec 1 rolls around.

wammmy said:
UofL IMO was a great school with very nice people. The town was great and I would have gone there.

I'm a non-trad out of stater with a gpa 3.45 and sci gpa 3.6 and 21/21/20. The entire interview they told me how much they like non-trads and I was a great applicant and would fit in well and was sure to get in, but when it came down to it "blah blah blah" I think is what they meant to say, did'nt get in, oh well I had plenty of other choices.

Wow, thats pretty crappy, if I do say so myself. That is just what happened to a lot of the people that I know that got waitlisted...during the interview, they were totally led to believe that they were in without a doubt, and then they got a letter saying something to the effect of, "we would love to have you, but unfortunately we can not extend an offer of admission to you at this time...you will be notified if and when a decision has been made..." Most of them are still waiting.... :(

They really took the news twice as hard, b/c they were so confident about being accepted. I thought the whole point of the exit interview was to give you a realistic idea of where you stand, but I guess it can be kind of misleading. As much as I'm an advocate for UofL, I don't think thats right at all. :thumbdown:

yeah- that stinks. you definitely should have been accepted wammy. i felt the same way in my interview...i felt like they gave me the impression that I had a good chance of acceptance. but then i was put on the "next to be contacted list"...luckily a month later i got in. have fun at Case- it's a great school.

That is so funny. The same thing happened to me. I interviewed with the director of admissions and he told me point blank that If I wanted to go to school there that I would be able to. He made sure to point out that he wasn't telling me that I would be accepted on dec. 1st but that sometime during the cycle I would get accepted.

But now I don't think that there is much hope for me because my DAT score is way too low for an out of stater. Plus they have already accepted 7 or 8 kids from my current school.

I'm not bitter but It sure got my hopes up. Still love the school though and I still think the director of admissions is awesome.

vasco said:
That is so funny. The same thing happened to me. I interviewed with the director of admissions and he told me point blank that If I wanted to go to school there that I would be able to. He made sure to point out that he wasn't telling me that I would be accepted on dec. 1st but that sometime during the cycle I would get accepted.

But now I don't think that there is much hope for me because my DAT score is way too low for an out of stater. Plus they have already accepted 7 or 8 kids from my current school.

I'm not bitter but It sure got my hopes up. Still love the school though and I still think the director of admissions is awesome.

Don't give up hope yet....you really never know. I think they have two lists...a "next to be contacted list" and a "waiting list". I've heard that if you're on the next to be contacted list, your chances might be better.

Also, for all of you who are waiting....I know a dentist who graduated from Louisville a year or two ago, and she was actually one of the students on the Admissions Committee during her last year (actually, she was also waitlisted and really didn't get in til the last minute, but then she ended up at the top of her class!)...she said that from an insider's perspective, it does help when applicants (especially those waitlisted) call and email (check their status) and try to do as much as possible to show that they are genuinely interested in attending UofL.

In other words, try to do what you can so that you don't get lost in the pile of applications...if they know you really want to go there, it can't hurt. :luck:

Vasco, by the way, where do you go to school?

I go to Brigham Young University. I don't know how many of the kids that they have already accepted actually will attend but that has to effect my chances of getting in just based on numbers and diversity.

vasco said:
I go to Brigham Young University. I don't know how many of the kids that they have already accepted actually will attend but that has to effect my chances of getting in just based on numbers and diversity.

From what I have heard, UofL accepts quite a few students from Utah, so don't give up hope yet!

Does Louisville offer many scholarships to out-of-state students?

FCIllini said:
Does Louisville offer many scholarships to out-of-state students?

I'm not totally sure, but I would venture to say that they probably don't offer very many. Honestly, I don't even think they offer very many to in-state applicants...I personally don't know anyone who has gotten a scholarship from them.

adding 2004 and 2005 stats - I visited the school today, and I can't think any cons on the school's DMD program. UofL is my #1 school now. :D

Year GPA Sci AA PAT

1998 3.32 3.21 18 17

1999 3.42 3.29 17 16

2000 3.35 3.23 17 17

2001 3.37 3.23 18 18

2002 3.30 3.16 18 18

2003 3.30 3.20 17 17

2004 3.45 3.31 17 16

2005 3.54 3.42 18 17
- only because of the unusual # of applicants applied to the school, a record 1900 of them.

I also found out that, once the school receives applications from AADSAS, they divided into 2 groups, residents and non-residents. These 2 groups don't compete against each others, but applicants within the same group do.

Also, as of today, the class for 2005 is not filled yet, for anyone wondering.

And yesterday, the state legistlators approved $19 million renovation for the dental school specifically, all the DMD clinics will become high-tech :thumbup: . This projects will start and be completed within the next 24 months.

The sim-labs... they reminded me of the robots from the flick - I.ROBOT :D

Good Luck

Candidate...

I'm so glad to hear you liked the school! I'm not surprised to see those avg stats increase this year, but keep in mind, those are a combo of in-state and out-of-state applicants, so you can probably expect the average for out-of-state applicants to be somewhat higher than what you have on your list...just something to keep in perspective.

Also, from what I've heard, the applicant pool is not expected to decrease for the 2006 cycle, so it'll probably be just as critical for people to beef up their apps in order to stand out. Anyways...this school is def worth the effort... ;)

Best of luck to you! :luck: And let me know if I can be of any help. :)

Thanks Irene.

The school was closed to students for spring break, but still met some who really liked it there. The admission lady, Robin, showed me everything, and in the end told me that the reason the application pool rised this year was, due to high influx of intrest to the profession, many pre-meds use Dentistry as an alternative career to persue. She too thinks it will continue to be competitive for the coming years.

Overall, beside I wished I have applied to "Intro to Dentistry" this spring, I loved it there.

The Candidate said:

thanks

I had a 17/17/20 AA/TS/PAT. I got interveiwed in late July. They told me that my reading comprehension score of 20 was what got me the interview. I was put on the secondary list for the second round of acceptances and I never heard back from them again. Applying as early as possible was a plus. I applied on May 17th-19th. Super friendly place. Not bad tuition for out-of-state. This is a school that focuses on passing the National Dental Board Examinations. They've scored in the top ten, nationally, on the second half for 5 years straight. I don't know why I was never accepted, but I'm going to Case anyway. No big deal. Good luck.

so what exactly is going on then? I have not received an interview but I have not received a rejection letter either.....am I still game for this cycle? I hope so

If you want an accurate answer as to the status of your aplication with any school, your best bet is to call the admissions department.