Louisville OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squished Rat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen U of K mentioned as a good program on here several times, but haven't seen anything mentioned about Louisville's OMFS program. Can anyone shed any light on this program for me? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen U of K mentioned as a good program on here several times, but haven't seen anything mentioned about Louisville's OMFS program. Can anyone shed any light on this program for me? Thanks.

I would consider Louisville to be quite a bit better. The don't have Van Sickels or Haug, but they do a broader scope and the schedule is a little better, ie you start with second year of medical school. I would put Louisville in the top five programs and I don't think I would KY. Don't get me wrong, KY is great, but not the absolute best.

I would consider Louisville to be quite a bit better. The don't have Van Sickels or Haug, but they do a broader scope and the schedule is a little better, ie you start with second year of medical school. I would put Louisville in the top five programs and I don't think I would KY. Don't get me wrong, KY is great, but not the absolute best.

The other nice thing about their program is that you don't pay for med school and actually get $500 a month during your med school years. Louisville was my number 2 choice. It's great for dentoalveolar bread and butter, good orthognathics, good trauma, good craniofacial (Tiwana explicitly told me he wanted no fellows, and wanted residents cutting his cases), but don't have good exposure to cosmetics nor oncology. Even though I didn't get to take a look at UKY, I think Louisville is the more impressive of the 2 KY schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
What programs are giving good exposure to cosmetics besides OHSU and Parkland?

LSU-NO.....our program director is fellowship trained in cosmetics.....upper levels do plenty of cosmetics....even Post-Katrina....rhinoplasty, otoplasty, blephs, rhytids....whatever is your pleasure. It's funny....OMFS residents do more cosmetics than LSU plastic residents......

San Antonio does a bit, although it is somewhat resident dependent. They don't force you to do it if you don't want to.

I'm not sure that doing blephs on gomers at the VA counts as a "good exposure to cosmetics"...

Allright Jedi, has ortho fried your brain or something? Why on earth would you want to do second year of med. school? Talk about a waste of time.

But louisville is a very good program though. And i guess you can moonlight the **** out of med. school.

We do a decent amount of cosmetics here at CASE. Our PD is a Cosmetics fellowship trained surgeon, his practice is about 50% cosmetics 50% other OMFS stuff ,we have another faculty who is also cosmetics fellowship trained his practice is about 80% cosmetics, plus we have a resident cosmetic surgery clinic. Also I may add that our new chairman is a fellowship trained head and neck cancer surgeon who does a fair amount of cosmetics as well.

Allright Jedi, has ortho fried your brain or something? Why on earth would you want to do second year of med. school? Talk about a waste of time.

But louisville is a very good program though. And i guess you can moonlight the **** out of med. school.

So you can go skiing?:smuggrin: Waste of time is all relative.

Seriously. Some places make you do it and you just gotta play by their rules. Not a terrible deal as you get decent training either way and you basically are guaranteed to pass the boards. My reference is more about the fact that KY STARTS with the intern year, and basically you aren't back on OMS service for a full year until you are chief resident. You do general surgery during your fifth year, then you are chief during the sixth year. That sucks. At least by doing 2nd year medical school first you get to have fourth year intern year, then GS, then fifth year junior resident, then sixth year chief. That works out much better.

We do a fair amount of cosmetics at UAB. We do a lot of noses, and a bit of facelifts, neck pinches, and lipo. We're pushing for more blephs and full rehab type stuff. Our new faculty, Dr. Deatherage, is also pushing for more focus on cosmetics. So, I see an upward swing in the upcoming months and years to come:thumbup:

So you can go skiing?:smuggrin: Waste of time is all relative.

Seriously. Some places make you do it and you just gotta play by their rules. Not a terrible deal as you get decent training either way and you basically are guaranteed to pass the boards. My reference is more about the fact that KY STARTS with the intern year, and basically you aren't back on OMS service for a full year until you are chief resident. You do general surgery during your fifth year, then you are chief during the sixth year. That sucks. At least by doing 2nd year medical school first you get to have fourth year intern year, then GS, then fifth year junior resident, then sixth year chief. That works out much better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Louisville starts with an intern year and then goes to MS3 and 4. That's what I remember from interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Louisville starts with an intern year and then goes to MS3 and 4. That's what I remember from interviews.

You're right, but I think Jedi was referring to UKY, not Louisville...

Our new chairman is Dr. Dale Baur. He used to be the chief of service and program director of Eisenhower Army Medical Center OMS program.

Our new chairman is Dr. Dale Baur. He used to be the chief of service and program director of Eisenhower Army Medical Center OMS program.

He is also a graduate of the very competitive MD program in Antigua...What a great find!

He is also a graduate of the very competitive MD program in Antigua...What a great find!

The question is: Has he actually completed a pgy1 gen surg year to register his MD degree? If he has, then he is legit (regardless of where he got his medical degree).

http://gradmeded.shu.edu/rtd_oral_maxillofacial.htm

Look at this program: Seton Hall 4-year OMFS with Caribbean MD option.

It would be unlawful for someone to do this program (or Antigua) and then try to market themselves as a physician without getting ECMFG certification and pgy1 gen surg year. But if they have.. then its not a problem.

Btw: Dale Baur has also completed a 2 year H&N microvascular/cancer recon fellowship at Michigan. Its not where you went to med school that makes you a quality OMFS or even if you went to med school at all. Its you're surgical training. I'm sure Dr. Baur is fine. :)

I heard positive things about Dr. Baur from Dr. Helman at AHNS. I think Case is going to be another exciting program with expanded scope.

Question for the board, any impressions on Vanderbilt?

Thanks

Shut up and go shave your back; why do you have to always make me look bad :laugh:

The only thing that can actually cut through the jungle of my back is a Ginsu knife...:eek: :eek:

Its not where you went to med school that makes you a quality OMFS or even if you went to med school at all. Its you're surgical training. :)

Yah, but your still a jake if you try and market a practically fake foreign MD degree without taking the USMLE steps or doing a PGY year.

Without the above it is technically illegal to put the MD on your office door cause you cannot ever get a license to practice under it.

Yah, but your still a jake if you try and market a practically fake foreign MD degree without taking the USMLE steps or doing a PGY year.

Without the above it is technically illegal to put the MD on your office door cause you cannot ever get a license to practice under it.

don't foreign medical graduates need 3 years of PGY for a medical license (in addition obviously to the USMLEs)? I'm not sure but i remember hearing something like that.

I agree! But we don't know if he has or has not. If he has taken the USMLE and has done a pgy1 year then its fine.

But if he hasn't then I agree he shouldn't be using the MD title.

don't foreign medical graduates need 3 years of PGY for a medical license (in addition obviously to the USMLEs)? I'm not sure but i remember hearing something like that.

Depends on what state you're in. Most states only require 1 pgy1 year. I think Penn requires 2 (which is why UPenn's MD/OMFS program grants a 2-year ACGME Gen surg cert for registration purposes). Not sure what states require dual degree OMFS to complete 3 years of gen surg? Haven't heard of that.

I don't know why you'd want to get a Caribbean MD anyways.

1) You don't really need an MD at all!

2) Even if you wanted one.. why not do it in the US for about the same amount of time and money.
There are medical schools that will take single degree OMS guys for a 2-year post residency MD option here in the US.

VCU comes to mind (as I know they have been known to take recent OMS graduates from anywhere for a 2 year MD program).
I think there are a few other schools around the country that do the same.

Michigan also requires a 2 yr. pgy.

Depends on what state you're in. Most states only require 1 pgy1 year. I think Penn requires 2 (which is why UPenn's MD/OMFS program grants a 2-year ACGME Gen surg cert for registration purposes). Not sure what states require dual degree OMFS to complete 3 years of gen surg? Haven't heard of that.

What I'm talking about is different. I know which states need 2 years of gen surg for MD licensure. But I think that if your MD is from a different country, you cannot get a medical license by doing 1 year of gen surg. You need to do three years in an ACGME accredited residency to get an MD license. Unless a head and neck/microvascular fellowship counts towards those 3 years (which I highly doubt because most of the OMS cancer fellowships are accredited by the ADA and not the ACGME)

What I'm talking about is different. I know which states need 2 years of gen surg for MD licensure. But I think that if your MD is from a different country, you cannot get a medical license by doing 1 year of gen surg. You need to do three years in an ACGME accredited residency to get an MD license. Unless a head and neck/microvascular fellowship counts towards those 3 years (which I highly doubt because most of the OMS cancer fellowships are accredited by the ADA and not the ACGME)
this is true. for example, in california, a us grad needs 1 yr of pgy1 and foreign grad i believe is 2 or 3 yrs.