Louisville, UOP, VCU!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochem7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my first post, and I am very happy to see the insight everyone gives so willingly on here. I love this site:D. So I loved all 3 schools that I was accepted to and realize I will make of it what I put in. But now I am wondering which will be the best overall school??? All opinions all welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to louisville or VCU so I can take your spot at UoP? I'd be very grateful... haha.

Which one did you like the best? Make a list of pros and cons. That should help you with a decision.

Go to the cheapest school, which would probably be your in-state school. If you're OOS for all 3 and the costs are similar, then do some research on what you like about the location, facility, faculty, curriculum and decide from there. I know UoP has a very supportive "family" culture and you get to live in San Francisco, which is a nice city with lots of things to do. But of course it's a very expensive school and an expensive city to live in. I don't know much about the other schools. I think all the schools will give you the basics to become a good dentist. Personally, the deciding factor for me would be cost. Congratulations and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the consensus is usually go where its the cheapest. But it always depends on the place you loved the most. I hope that some students who are at the schools currently have some better insight. Good luck with your decision, all three are awesome!!

I also agree with choosing the cheapest school. UoP is the cheapest by far, in-state or out of state :p
You will graduate 1 year early, the opportunity cost of 1 year in dentistry will be about $200k (this is the amount you will most likely make in the last year of your career, not the first year).
So UoP ~360k - 200k=160k
VCU ~ 250k for instate and $330k for OOS
Louisville ~240k for instate and $310k for OOS
I think we have a clear winner :)

*typo 410k->310k :)

Last edited:
I also agree with choosing the cheapest school. UoP is the cheapest by far, in-state or out of state :p
You will graduate 1 year early, the opportunity cost of 1 year in dentistry will be about $200k (this is the amount you will most likely make in the last year of your career, not the first year).
So UoP ~360k - 200k=160k
Louisville ~240k for instate and $410k for OOS

UoP doesn't work that way. I graduated a year early and I've still yet to receive my check for 200k to pay off my loans.

Also, it's not a "last" year, it's an average year, that's basic statistics. If you're going to figure it like that, you also have to factor in the baseline cost of an average year of your life and subtract those, since you'll be paying them anyway. Tax, housing, healthcare, board, etc... For the average person, getting out of school a year earlier has a fiscal benefit of somewhere around $40-50,000 (I calculated that using the average salary of a GP 4 years ago though, so the number might be a little higher though. There's also some intrinsic benefit to finishing earlier that each individual person has to place some financial value on. Go poll some 3rd year dental students about to enter their 4th year and ask how much they'd pay to be done already. I'd bet you could get $20,000 out of them.

Think this through, there is a financial benefit but it's not as cut and dry as many people make it seem, and you still have to pay of whatever the total bill is on the loan. However, given the chance I'd go to Pacific all over again.

So UoP ~360k - 200k=160k
Louisville ~240k for instate and $410k for OOS

I thought that Louisville was more around $320k? 60k Tuition, Instruments, Fees, and another 20-25k cost of living. So around 320-330k.....

I thought that Louisville was more around $320k? 60k Tuition, Instruments, Fees, and another 20-25k cost of living. So around 320-330k.....

Sorry, that was my mistake, a typo, I worked it out to about $310k :), you are right :)

No worries, wantVCUdental I was a bit worried cause thats where I paid my deposit. Biochem7 have you made a decision yet? I hope to be in your shoes with such a great dilemma haha