Louisville vs Marquette vs Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stonemink25877

Reaction score
Louisville vs. Marquette vs. Colorado

Louisville (OOS)
Tuition: $342,000
Distance: 5 hour drive

Pros:
  • From what I have heard it is a very good school.
  • Lots of access to patients
  • Close to undergrad campus

Cons:
  • Most expensive option
  • The school seemed fairly competitive among students

Marquette (OOS)
Tuition: $289,000
Distance: 5 hour drive

Pros:
  • On undergrad campus
  • Felt like the school had a great vibe and was welcoming
  • All the current students were very kind
  • Staff seemed to be helpful

Cons:
  • It is freezing
  • Not sure where I would live in Milwaukee

Colorado (OOS)
Tuition: $289,00
Distance: a flight

Pros:
  • Loved the professors
  • Great system for rotations in final years
  • Graduate very prepared in the office

Cons:
  • Very far away
  • During my interview I wasn’t sure if I would fit in well with the current students

A little more info: I haven’t decided about specializing or not, but do not want to rule it out. I want to choose the school that will ultimately prepare me the most while also getting a decent education. I will most likely be living alone and hope to live somewhere at least decently safe without spending an outrageous amount of money. Please help me decide! I am struggling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Louisville - too expensive

Marquette - freezing, dark winters. Can get depressing while in school

Colorado - What do you mean you wouldn't fit in? Can you be more specific? This depends usually from class to class and everyone finds their type of friends usually. Also Colorado half the class goes to work and the other half is able to specialize or go to GPR

Members don't see this ad :)
Louisville - too expensive

Marquette - freezing, dark winters. Can get depressing while in school

Colorado - What do you mean you wouldn't fit in? Can you be more specific? This depends usually from class to class and everyone finds their type of friends usually. Also Colorado half the class goes to work and the other half is able to specialize or go to GPR

After talking to current students they just mentioned there was a fair amount of competition among students which is not exactly what I am looking for.

After talking to current students they just mentioned there was a fair amount of competition among students which is not exactly what I am looking for.
competition is usually a class-by-class issue and not a school issue...

Reactions: 3 users
mac is right.
Also, competition only happens if you tell people your grades. Just keep things to yourself
mahalo, prince
i don't hear that a lot, IRL or online...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Being able to drive home easily is a nice feature for Louisville or Marquette. I toured Marquette, and it seemed like a fun community. Milwaukee Wisconsin is dangerous, but if you stay on campus you would be fine; it's a huge campus too, which is nice (combined with the undergrad). The sim lab needs work, but they have 1 doctor for every 9-10 students in the sim lab, which is nice. Marquette's Clinic and patient population is great, additional all of the faculty members are extremely friendly! Have you flown out to these schools? If not, I would recommend flying out and checking out the area. I can say I was extremely impressed with the community aspect and culture at Marquette. Everyone knows everyone, and it seemed very supportive even though it isn't pass/fail.

I haven't been to the other too, but I have heard that the community at Louisville is great too! I have also heard that it isn't in the safest area, but I wouldn't know. If you're able to, talk to the current students or graduate students and see what they think about the programs, and the city they live in. What they like and what they don't like, etc.