Louisville vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imayemeni89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got admitted into both schools and have a dilemma about which school to attend. I know Louisville is cheaper but if I go to NYU I don't have to pay for living expenses. Will that even out? Also what are the pros and cons of each school, I looked at threads but most of them are old threads

Members don't see this ad.

I got admitted into both schools and have a dilemma about which school to attend. I know Louisville is cheaper but if I go to NYU I don't have to pay for living expenses. Will that even out? Also what are the pros and cons of each school, I looked at threads but most of them are old threads

Congrats on your acceptances!

Louisville is about $55,000 for an OOS student (I think that's tuition only but I may be wrong). NYU is about $70,000- 75,000 for just tuition. I think you're right that it will kind of even out if you add in living expenses in Louisville (apt, food, car/transportation, etc). I interviewed at both schools and I'll put in my two cents about pros and cons

Louisville:
Pros- I personally liked the school a lot. They recently renovated the place so it looks really nice. I got a good vibe from the faculty and students there. I never heard of anyone complain about getting chairs or patients. I think overall it's a terrific school. The city is fairly inexpensive to live in.

Cons- Are you from New York City? I talked to a few students who were from big vibrant cities (LA, Chicago, etc) and they weren't too thrilled with the city of Louisville. I've lived in Louisville too, and I didn't really like it myself. The city more or less closes down at 9 pm. You'll need a car to get around most places, which in my opinion would suck if you had to worry about purchasing a car or dragging one over there if you live far away from Louisville.

NYU:

Pros- I got a good vibe from the faculty and students there as well. I could really see the diversity of the student population (huge plus for my preferences). Lectures are available on itunes and textbooks are electronic. I personally loved this aspect. Patients and chairs aren't a problem at this school either. Their passing rate for the boards is something like 99%, which impressed me considering their giant population. Aside from the school itself, you're in New York City, considered to be one of the best cities in the world.

Cons: The cost really. I can't blame people for turning down NYU for that if they have other offers. The tuition is crazy to begin with. It costs a lot to live near the school since it's in Manhattan (Gramercy Park, Kipps Bay, Midtown). You're lucky that you won't have to worry about living expenses if you choose NYU. Some people are also intimidated by the number of students (~250 students). It might seem overwhelming, especially for people who are used to liberal arts schools or small classes.

I hope that helped a little. Good luck!

Last edited:

If you don't have to pay for living expenses, by the end the 4th year NYU will be actually the cheaper option for you

I never been to KY, but I would rather stay in NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its cheaper to go to NYU so you should go there. No need elsewhere to pay more for the same education.

I don't know anything about Louisville, but NYU was pretty awesome when I went there. If NYU is cheaper for you, I would do it all the way.

I went to NYC twice for my ortho interview. I didn’t like the city at all…..too busy, too many people. I hated the public transportation. People aren’t very friendly there…..they push each other to get into the train. The size of my friend’s studio in NYC is smaller than the bedroom of my 2-bed appartment at UCLA. He shared that studio with his roommate and he still had to pay $1100/month:eek:.

I did my ortho residency at Louisville and I really love the city. The size of the city is similar to where I grew up (Orange County, CA). Kentuckian are very friendly people. Most students at Louisville are White. I was one of the few Asians there and I fit right in without any problem. I like the fact that I can drive around the city with my own car (which I purchased at Louisville for $1500). I paid $500 for a fully furnished studio….utilities and cable TV were included:thumbup:. There are plenty of good places to eat and to hang out.

I went to NYC twice for my ortho interview. I didn't like the city at all…..too busy, too many people. I hated the public transportation. People aren't very friendly there…..they push each other to get into the train. The size of my friend's studio in NYC is smaller than the bedroom of my 2-bed appartment at UCLA. He shared that studio with his roommate and he still had to pay $1100/month:eek:.

I did my ortho residency at Louisville and I really love the city. The size of the city is similar to where I grew up (Orange County, CA). Kentuckian are very friendly people. Most students at Louisville are White. I was one of the few Asians there and I fit right in without any problem. I like the fact that I can drive around the city with my own car (which I purchased at Louisville for $1500). I paid $500 for a fully furnished studio….utilities and cable TV were included:thumbup:. There are plenty of good places to eat and to hang out.

lol you're funny. it makes sense to go to middle of nowhere america and overpay for an education to avoid "people that push each other to get on the train."

NYC is the best city in the world everyone knows it. Why do you think so many people more here each year :) Now sticking with the theme of the thread, OP should pick NYU because it will be progressively cheaper.

I went to NYC twice for my ortho interview. I didn’t like the city at all…..too busy, too many people. I hated the public transportation. People aren’t very friendly there…..they push each other to get into the train. The size of my friend’s studio in NYC is smaller than the bedroom of my 2-bed appartment at UCLA. He shared that studio with his roommate and he still had to pay $1100/month:eek:.

I really hope you're kidding. Cost factor must be #1 reason why people turn down NYU, but why the heck would the OP pay more money to go middle of nowhere.

lol you're funny. it makes sense to go to middle of nowhere america and overpay for an education to avoid "people that push each other to get on the train."

NYC is the best city in the world everyone knows it. Why do you think so many people more here each year :) Now sticking with the theme of the thread, OP should pick NYU because it will be progressively cheaper.

+1 to that lol

Thanks guys, I think Im going to decide on NYU, unless I get into Nova or my in state school. I think the weather in Florida and the tuition both beat NYU and it's diverse. But I'm still wait listed so I'll see. Thanks for the input guys ... Or girls lol

Thanks guys, I think Im going to decide on NYU, unless I get into Nova or my in state school. I think the weather in Florida and the tuition both beat NYU and it's diverse. But I'm still wait listed so I'll see. Thanks for the input guys ... Or girls lol

I am assuming you would commute from home, how far would the commute be?

The commute would be around 35 mins, it's not that far

thats a factor to consider also. it seems that NYU's tuition will hover around 70K per year. Louisville would be around 61K(including instruments). If you include living expenses , Liousville would be equivelent to NYU's cost ( assuming living in Kentucky would be cheap).

You should see where Louisville students live, if most students live within 5-10 min of the school, and can afford a nice apartment,then its something you should consider. Having your own privacy and a short commute is deff a significant factor.

thats a factor to consider also. it seems that NYU's tuition will hover around 70K per year. Louisville would be around 61K(including instruments). If you include living expenses , Liousville would be equivelent to NYU's cost ( assuming living in Kentucky would be cheap).

You should see where Louisville students live, if most students live within 5-10 min of the school, and can afford a nice apartment,then its something you should consider. Having your own privacy and a short commute is deff a significant factor.

35 min commute vs. 10 mins commute shouldnt create a move from NY to Louisville.

I think free accommodations beats a "nice apartment" that you have to pay for.

35 min commute vs. 10 mins commute shouldnt create a move from NY to Louisville.

1 hour and 10 min overall commute(prob more with nyc traffic) vs 10-15 min overall commute is quite a difference. I am assuming most students live quite close to the school ( assuming its a safe area).

Even if you pay for the apartment, it would come out to be the same price(total cost at Louisville) as NYU's tuition alone or possible less than that.

The 82 person class size at Louisville also beats the 200+ students at NYU ( not including 100+ international students that join the 2nd year class).

I am not saying one is clearly better than the other. Just trying to give a valid argument for Louisville. You can't go wrong with either. Goodluck

You mean "Hi my name is (Dr. McHottie) and I'm a dental student:cool:" won't seal the deal? Well darn...

Btw, the class size is 120 at Louisville. Their renovations allowed them to expand their class. Not that it would make much of a difference based on your point about class sizes but just putting that out there.

A 35 min subway ride is really not that bad and the OP seems to be fine with it too. Subways aren't affected by NYC traffic.

I have friends in NYC and have visited often and I've lived in Louisville and visit because I have some family there. If the OP is interested in opinions about NYC and Louisville (similarities/contrasts, pros and cons, etc) he/she can PM me.

Last edited: