• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

SundevilDMD

Sundevil
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey All, Well I am in a really tough situation. I sent in my deposit for Louisville about a month ago and was really for the most part happy about it. My good friend is moving there with me, the town is nice, and from who I have met my classmates are great. Then...I got into OHSU which I really wasnt expecting. I am a WICHE applicant and wont know whether I will be funded till May. Even then I have a 1 in 7 shot of getting funded. For the most part I liked OHSU except for the fact that they make you do all of your lab work when your in the clinic. SO I guess you could say that its one of the drawbacks. But Portland is a beautiful city, rent is cheap, etc.... Well this indecisiveness is just killing me... I know I could just send in my deposit to OHSU too...but for some reason I just wanna to make my decison now and quit bull****ting myself.

What do you fellow SDN'rs think

P.S. IN HER DRAWER... I will not take any of your opinions or suggestions seriously!!!! :laugh:

in her drawer

Ain't no glory in a war
10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2006
The City, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
P.S. IN HER DRAWER... I will not take any of your opinions or suggestions seriously!!!! :laugh:

n22403568_32707921_7826.jpg

About the Ads

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
KNowing nothing about either program, I'm going to say OHSU.

I don't care what podunk town Louisville is in, Portland is better. Also, who wants to go to a school named after a baseball bat?

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I don't care what podunk town Louisville is in, Portland is better. Also, who wants to go to a school named after a baseball bat?

Good one from the guy whose patients are going to think he got his degree onling from University of Phoenix. LOL UoP

GoDucks69

some dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
My brother is a 3rd year at OHSU and is always complaining about it. He told me not to go there but some people do seem to like it. If you want some more information just send a PM.

apaul

Some Dude
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
i disliked both schools after interviewing, so . . . . good luck

Prosthoman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
OHSU only has the name, school sucks big time
trust me, go to Louiville

Go Navy!!!

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey All, Well I am in a really tough situation. I sent in my deposit for Louisville about a month ago and was really for the most part happy about it. My good friend is moving there with me, the town is nice, and from who I have met my classmates are great. Then...I got into OHSU which I really wasnt expecting. I am a WICHE applicant and wont know whether I will be funded till May. Even then I have a 1 in 7 shot of getting funded. For the most part I liked OHSU except for the fact that they make you do all of your lab work when your in the clinic. SO I guess you could say that its one of the drawbacks. But Portland is a beautiful city, rent is cheap, etc.... Well this indecisiveness is just killing me... I know I could just send in my deposit to OHSU too...but for some reason I just wanna to make my decison now and quit bull****ting myself.

What do you fellow SDN'rs think

For me there would be no competition...OHSU has a great program, great and friendly professors and students and I think that the clinical experience you will get there is second to none. I was talking to my dad (who is a dentist) the other day about the lab work issue at OHSU and he said that while you most likely will be sending your work out to a lab when you go into practice you still need to be able to clearly communicate with them what you want done and that this is something that you will only be able to do well if you have extensive experience doing the lab work on your own.

I am a bit biased here, as I have family that went to OHSU and they really felt like they got a good dental education there. OHSU is the only school that I really wanted to go to when I decided that I wanted to be a dentist and after interviewing there I knew that it was the right place for me.

Good luck with your decision!

PumpNO2

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
As with any accredited dental schools, you are pretty much going to get a good education regardless of where you go. Factors that should be of significance to your decision include family, financial factors, and MOST of all HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE SCHOOL, you are going to be there for 4 years and will likely be very commited to it so therefore, don't worry who's better or stuff like that. See for yourself where you can be happy :) I don't know about OHSU but Louisville seems like a good school with the very friendly-like atmosphere but their facilities and technology are a lil out of date and from what I know they will be upgrading it pretty soon. Goodluck with your decision.

Turnerjo13

Ski Bum
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2006
N45˚ 29.795’ W122˚ 41.521’ elev:659ft
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
For me there would be no competition...OHSU has a great program, great and friendly professors and students and I think that the clinical experience you will get there is second to none. I was talking to my dad (who is a dentist) the other day about the lab work issue at OHSU and he said that while you most likely will be sending your work out to a lab when you go into practice you still need to be able to clearly communicate with them what you want done and that this is something that you will only be able to do well if you have extensive experience doing the lab work on your own.

I am a bit biased here, as I have family that went to OHSU and they really felt like they got a good dental education there. OHSU is the only school that I really wanted to go to when I decided that I wanted to be a dentist and after interviewing there I knew that it was the right place for me.

Good luck with your decision!

I have to respectfully disagree with the above post. At OHSU you will be doing you own lab work but you will not really get to do a lot of the things that you will send out in the real world anyway. For instance at the OHSU the only crown you will do is a gold crown and you will make it your self (lot of them). You don't get to do PFM and porcelain. In the real world you will probably do more of those than gold so doing a bunch of gold your self is probably a waste of time. Where ever you go you will have the skills to communicate with the lab. And if your cool you won't need a lab because you got a cerec:cool: Just my opinion.

drcase2011

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I don't know a whole lot about Oregon. I do have a friend from my undergrad who is a first year there, and he loves it so far. I interviewed at Louisville and I did not see anything special about it. The students were nice enough, just like at every other place I interviewed. Since I interviewed with almost all fellow out-of-staters, several of the students actually said at the lunch that they would go to whatever school was the cheapest. They thought that you could get a good education anywhere and that the extra $$ would not be worth it. I guess that kind of goes along with my opinion that there is nothing unique or special about Louisville. I would find out more about Oregon. If you get the funding, I would think it would be a no-brainer to go to Oregon.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.