Louisville vs. TCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnash49

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Barring my “top choice” making a surprise appearance in my inbox, I am going to have to make a tough decision Louisville vs. TCOM. I am originally from Kentucky but have since renounced my KY residency in place of TX. My family is still in KY though. I went to undergrad and I’m currently finishing my Masters in DFW.

Louisville:
Pros
  • Matching at more competitive residencies
  • Close to my family
  • Large Hospital system (only level 1 trauma in KY)

Cons
  • Cost: ~$50,000/yr as out-of-state student
  • Far away from girlfriend of 3.5 yrs

TCOM
Pros
  • Cost: ~13,000/yr
  • Well respected DO program
  • Well integrated with Fort Worth Medical District
  • Said girlfriend will be starting PA school at same campus (UNTHSC)

Cons
  • Far away from family (but I’ve been away for a while)
  • Not matching to competitive residencies at the same rate as Louisville

Additionally, I am investigating Army HPSP as a way to pay for medical school, acquire more residency opportunities, and also follow in the family legacy of military service. I am curious what your thoughts are. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Louisville 10x out of 10. I was thinking TCOM may be a decent choice (only because of the 13k a year) until I saw you were doing military. If the military is paying for school get the MD. Family > Girl. Ganna be plenty of hunnies at louisville.

Edit: I didnt read you were "investigating" military. Either way louisville is what I would choose, but TCOM becomes more tempting if you do not do military. Last year they matched someone at Mayo in neurosurgery, OU in optho, and have done pretty well in the match the last few years (if memory serves me correctly 80% of their students match ACGME). This is tough. I think you would be fine either way, but it would be easier matching competitive stuff from louisville should you not do the military.

Louisville and it's not even close. Maybe try to talk to admissions and get your Kentucky residency back

I'd talk money (carefully/politely) with Louisville if you don't end up going the military route. If they offered you acceptance knowing that you're a TX rezzie (and, furthermore, already accepted you this early), they probably want you pretty badly and thus may be willing to offer some monetary incentive.

Fellow Texan, and personally I'd pick Louisville for sure .. but I'd feel a lot better doing so if I could get them to throw me some money.