Loupes 2.5x vs 3.5x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackThought

Faustian Luminary
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for another thread on loupes, but I was just wondering what people's opinion is on the topic.

Pretty much all our faculty says to go with 2.5, but many upper years are saying to go with 3.5 since we'll 'adjust quickly'. Anyone feel like they can strongly recommend one over the other?

Also, as for companies, I'm leaning towards DFV, but I still have yet to check out Surgitel.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Agree. Try out a pair before you make a financial investment that large. You'll have those loupes for a long time

Members don't see this ad :)
I have Surgitel 4.5x with expanded field and love them. Only down side is that they are a little heavy

I don't there's such a thing as an adjustment period because I was naturally okay with working at 3.5X EF from DFV. I looked at Orascoptic's magnifications greater than 4.8x and I thought those magnifications were doable.

My only annoyance with DFV's buddy holly frame is that they're heavy. But you're getting durability with all that mass.

I like my 3.8x Orascoptics

Anyone have/try 3.5 not expanded field? Seems to be some fuss about not being able to see enough of the quadrant. I'm 2.5 DFV now.

Anyone have/try 3.5 not expanded field? Seems to be some fuss about not being able to see enough of the quadrant. I'm 2.5 DFV now.

A classmate of mine has a set of 3.5x Galilean loupes and only the very center of his view is in focus (from what I understand)... It seems that he has a much smaller field of view than I do with my 3.8x prismatics.

My buddy got 3.5x Galilean instead of Prism and he can only see half a quadrant. I have the prism so I can see the whole arch. His is a lot lighter and smaller but DFV released these awesome huge one piece nose pads that i think helps offset the weight. you gotta send the entire loupe back to them if you want the nose pads switched out.

I have 2.5x HiRes from Orascoptic and I like it--a lot of people have said to bump it up but from what I heard from veteran dentists, 2.5x is all they used

2.5x for pretty much everything in general dentistry, i only use 3.5 for endo.