Loupes and Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyDDS1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school I will be attending in fall does not require loupes and I am wondering if I will have to pay for it out of my own pocket. I have heard that there is a way to get this reimbursed, but I'm not sure if that was true.

Can someone chime in?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just use your sign on bonus. Or live somewhere cheaper and use the money leftover from your living expenses that the Navy gives you and buy them.

The school I will be attending in fall does not require loupes and I am wondering if I will have to pay for it out of my own pocket. I have heard that there is a way to get this reimbursed, but I'm not sure if that was true.

Can someone chime in?

Thank you!
You can get reimbursed. There is a form (can't tell you off the top of my head), but I believe it is the same reimbursement form for other supplies. I think it just needs some sort of justification.
Either way, get yourself a quality pair. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just use your sign on bonus. Or live somewhere cheaper and use the money leftover from your living expenses that the Navy gives you and buy them.
When it comes to worst case scenario, that is going to be my plan! Thank you.
You can get reimbursed. There is a form (can't tell you off the top of my head), but I believe it is the same reimbursement form for other supplies. I think it just needs some sort of justification.
That made me feel better haha thank you. I will look into it!

Reactions: 1 user
Might be branch dependent, but that's not what I have heard. If it isn't required of all students, then it won't be reimbursed. Part of the paperwork requires proof of requirement unless it's the category that doesn't require proof (like NBDE, but loupes does)

The question then becomes how willing your student affairs dean is willing to write you a letter stating that it is required.

Strange that UDM doesn't require loupes though. I swear it was part of their CoA in the packet they sent me. Maybe they're trying to cut costs lol

Reactions: 1 users
Might be branch dependent, but that's not what I have heard. If it isn't required of all students, then it won't be reimbursed. Part of the paperwork requires proof of requirement unless it's the category that doesn't require proof (like NBDE, but loupes does)

The question then becomes how willing your student affairs dean is willing to write you a letter stating that it is required.

Strange that UDM doesn't require loupes though. I swear it was part of their CoA in the packet they sent me. Maybe they're trying to cut costs lol
From what I've seen, it's a standard thing and already expected. Dental loupe reimbursement is very common, and writing a letter is something that's really just done once. The same justification just gets reused for all the HPSP folks.
For those of you reading who have encountered issues with this, don't take no for an answer (respectfully). Student affairs is meant to support the class, and I cannot imagine a situation where they would not do this. Plan B is to find a salty faculty member who served in the military years ago, and let them know what's going on and the problems being encountered. I'm confident once people start catching wind of that news, the justification needed for reimbursement will follow shortly after.

Strategery :cigar:

Reactions: 1 users

Can someone chime in?

Thank you!

I go to Detroit Mercy as well and I was told that they will only reimburse them IF your school requires them (and UDM does not). However, they said the Navy will pay for a new pair of loupes once you start working for them. Still might be worth asking though, they may have changed the policy since I tried.

I go to Detroit Mercy as well and I was told that they will only reimburse them IF your school requires them (and UDM does not). However, they said the Navy will pay for a new pair of loupes once you start working for them. Still might be worth asking though, they may have changed the policy since I tried.
Once I start working for them, so once I go in active duty after I graduate?

You are authorized 1 pair of loupes up to $1,400.00 with light per HPSP "career." The dean is not required to sign it, an authorized individual is sufficient.
Make sure you read all the fine print before any purchases are made, as there are timeline requirements.

These files were obtained using the Navy's official site for medical accessions:
http://www.med.navy.mil/Accessions/Pages/Reimbursement.aspx

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Reimbursements SF1164 for books and supplies - Writable 2015.doc
    290 KB · Views: 63
  • 2014 HPSP Reimbursement List - 22 April 14-2.docx
    51.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DeansCertificate Change 1-1.doc
    48 KB · Views: 41
You are authorized 1 pair of loupes up to $1,400.00 with light per HPSP "career." The dean is not required to sign it, an authorized individual is sufficient.
Make sure you read all the fine print before any purchases are made, as there are timeline requirements.

These files were obtained using the Navy's official site for medical accessions:
http://www.med.navy.mil/Accessions/Pages/Reimbursement.aspx

Enjoy.
Authorized 1 pair of loupes up to $1,400 per HPSP career. My time while I'm in dental school is also part of this career, correct? So even if the school does not require loupes, I would still be able to get this reimbursed?
But seriously, thank you so much for your help @schmoob

Authorized 1 pair of loupes up to $1,400 per HPSP career. My time while I'm in dental school is also part of this career, correct? So even if the school does not require loupes, I would still be able to get this reimbursed?
But seriously, thank you so much for your help @schmoob
It means 1 pair per enrollment in the program. You should be good to go.

Glad to help!

Reactions: 1 user
@schmoob I am at a school that does not "require" loupes, and would obviously like the Navy to reimburse me. However, have you fully read the Deans Cert. that you posted? It states, "I [school official] certify purchases contained herein are consistent with those incurred by all students in this course of study and year level, whether in the Navy's Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program or not. I have lined through to DISALLOW any items not REQUIRED by all students."

I don't see how my dean's office would sign off on that when it is spelled out pretty clearly. Any suggestions?

@schmoob I am at a school that does not "require" loupes, and would obviously like the Navy to reimburse me. However, have you fully read the Deans Cert. that you posted? It states, "I [school official] certify purchases contained herein are consistent with those incurred by all students in this course of study and year level, whether in the Navy's Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program or not. I have lined through to DISALLOW any items not REQUIRED by all students."

I don't see how my dean's office would sign off on that when it is spelled out pretty clearly. Any suggestions?
Have you spoken directly with the Navy or your recruiter about your Loupes reimbursement? If so, what did they say? I'm pretty confused now with this whole process and my recruiter seems pretty inexperienced and do not know much about how things really work. Thanks!

I haven't spoken with the HPSP office because it seemed to be a foregone conclusion. Once you are commissioned, your recruiter is no longer your POC. In any case, recruiters know almost nothing about the HPSP program/ DC, to be honest. They will pretend that they are well informed, but they are not.

Yes. Ask.