Loupes are too heavy, how to disperse weight better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aewpls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have DFV 3.5 EF in Yeoman frames with the new wireless light. Love them, but my nose is bruised from holding all of that weight. Tightening the head strap ensures that they don't slip, but doesn't seem to do much for distributing the weight away from my nose. Is there such a thing as a headband that I could use instead of the strap that would allow the weight to be more evenly distributed? Any other suggestions out there for saving my poor bruised nose? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have DFV 3.5 EF in Yeoman frames with the new wireless light. Love them, but my nose is bruised from holding all of that weight. Tightening the head strap ensures that they don't slip, but doesn't seem to do much for distributing the weight away from my nose. Is there such a thing as a headband that I could use instead of the strap that would allow the weight to be more evenly distributed? Any other suggestions out there for saving my poor bruised nose? Thanks!
I'm having the exact same problem with my loupes (but I have the DVI sport)! My poor nose is still sore and I haven't worn my loupes in 2 days. I'm going to speak with our DVF rep on Monday. I'll post back with whatever he said.

Reactions: 1 user
Get a wired light.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get a wired light.

Can you go into more detail for me? I was under the impression that a wired light still clips to the front of your frames and therefore would still add weight to the bridge of your nose. Even if the wired light isn't as heavy, the frames and 3.5 EF are quite heavy. Do you have any other suggestions on how to disperse the weight to more of my head than just my nose? Thanks!

Wireless lights often have a battery within the light, whereas the wired lights have a battery that clips to your belt and takes away a significant amount of weight. All you have on your nose is an led bulb and a wire.

I have 4.3x EF Orascoptic loupes and never have a problem with weight.

What about micro?
Also expanded field and same price too

I was discouraged from getting the micro by the sales rep. He said that because the diameter of the telescopes is smaller on the micros, they cause significantly more eye strain

I was discouraged from getting the micro by the sales rep. He said that because the diameter of the telescopes is smaller on the micros, they cause significantly more eye strain

Are you talking about the field of view? Or the diameter of the lens that you look into?

I tried on both and found the weight reduction was more important to me than the extra FoV; I guess time will tell if I made the right decision :/

I had classmates, especially those who were Asian (and had a flatter nose bridge) get custom nosepieces for their loupes frames. Some of them made them themselves out of dental putty. DFV loupes run on the heavier side anyway.

What about the over the head strap things? Disperses the weight over the whole cranium.

I had classmates, especially those who were Asian (and had a flatter nose bridge) get custom nosepieces for their loupes frames. Some of them made them themselves out of dental putty. DFV loupes run on the heavier side anyway.
That's brilliant... I gotta try that.

Rep ended up not being here today. A bench instructor had me shove cotton rolls under my nose piece...

I looked stupid, but it worked.

Rep ended up not being here today. A bench instructor had me shove cotton rolls under my nose piece...

I looked stupid, but it worked.

This also works on patients in your chair. I've had several complain of glasses touching their eyelashes or they constantly tried to move their sunglasses while I was working inside their mouth. Small cotton roll underneath the nose piece stopped all that.

This also works on patients in your chair. I've had several complain of glasses touching their eyelashes or they constantly tried to move their sunglasses while I was working inside their mouth. Small cotton roll underneath the nose piece stopped all that.
That's really good to know! I think my light mostly hid the cotton but I did feel silly haha