loupes magnification for implant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vichah

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm a first year postgrad student in china studying implantology. my professor have recommended us to a pair of loupes. so im looking into buying q-optics loupes because of the declination angle and light weight.
I know that implant requires for a wider field so a q-optics 3.5x would probably be enough. but we do periodontal surgeries as well, and seems like having a larger magification for perio is better, which makes 4.0x/4.5x a better choice for doing perio, but i dont have that money to buy 2 pairs of loupes. so has any one used 4.0x or even 4.5x loupes to place implants? how many teeth could you see in the field? is the field too narrow at 4.0x or 4.5x?
My professor has an orascoptics one that could adjust between 3-5x, but that is relatively heavy and has a poor declination angle. and especially a high price point at 3000-4000 usd, so im do not consider buying that. comparing that to q-optics, q-optics costs around 2250-2650 usd depending on the magnification.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, i'm a first year postgrad student in china studying implantology. my professor have recommended us to a pair of loupes. so im looking into buying q-optics loupes because of the declination angle and light weight.
I know that implant requires for a wider field so a q-optics 3.5x would probably be enough. but we do periodontal surgeries as well, and seems like having a larger magification for perio is better, which makes 4.0x/4.5x a better choice for doing perio, but i dont have that money to buy 2 pairs of loupes. so has any one used 4.0x or even 4.5x loupes to place implants? how many teeth could you see in the field? is the field too narrow at 4.0x or 4.5x?
My professor has an orascoptics one that could adjust between 3-5x, but that is relatively heavy and has a poor declination angle. and especially a high price point at 3000-4000 usd, so im do not consider buying that. comparing that to q-optics, q-optics costs around 2250-2650 usd depending on the magnification.

Stick with 3.5x. I use 3.5x for everything with no issues. I tried out a 4.5 a year ago and hated it. Way too narrow of a field. Give it a few years working with a 3.5 and if you feel like you need more mag, then go up. But IMO, any higher mag is only beneficial for endo

I personally don't think you need a high magnification for placing implant or periodontal surgery. I've used both 3.5x(DFV) and 4.5x(Qoptics) in both situations. Despite myself using 4.5x primarily, I don't really see a huge benefit of 4.5x over 3.5x for implant/perio surg. If you have a small field of vision, I feel like you might get tunnelvision and lose track of your drill angulations while making your osteotomy. I would recommend getting prismatic/expanded field even if they cost a little more.

I use 5.5 orascoptic

Reactions: 1 user