Loupes: Zesiss eyemag smart (2.5x) vs pro (3+)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funkymonkey99

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got my heart set on a Zeiss loupe. I can't decide between the eyemag smart or pro set up.

The smart set up is a Galilean loupe system only at a 2.5x magnification. I much prefer the hinge system due to its lighter weight and ability to achieve a greater declination angle (around 45 degrees) which is better for my neck.

The pro line up (3x + mag) is a prismatic system. The image is much more detailed and clear than the smart, but the system is more heavier and the declination angle maxes at around 30 degrees.

So is the benefit of higher magnification or better ergonomics more important?

Members don't see this ad.

2.5x is way too low.. you should go at least 3.5x or higher.

And you should always go with prismatic. Is there a reason you're set on Zeiss? I see very few people using Zeiss because the ROI is low even if it has the best optics.

2.5x is way too low.. you should go at least 3.5x or higher.

And you should always go with prismatic. Is there a reason you're set on Zeiss? I see very few people using Zeiss because the ROI is low even if it has the best optics.

Hmm that is true... I've looked at a few loupe companies but found the Zeiss optics to be the best (others had weird aberrations that I found annoying). Do you know any other brands that have great optics and ergonomics?