Lovin' the new look of the Lounge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocGibby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Is it just me or was anyone else going through withdrawel while the lounge was down. I was beginning to think that it would never be reactivated. It looks like I've now got about a weeks worth of posts to catch up on. By the way kudos to those responsible for the new and improved student lounge.

DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Members don't see this ad.

I did miss being able to check on posts for the several days it was down also. The look is fine except for the large advertisement at the bottom of the screen it blocks too much of the text when using AOL. I know that it can be shrunt to a smaller size I just don't like it.

I give the new look some props!! I agree the large advertisement at the bottom is a pain in the a$$. But overall I think it was an excellent change.

Go Hawks

Members don't see this ad :)
The new lounge is faster, but I liked it better when the folders would change from yellow to red if there was a new post since the last time I visited.

Hanly

And as soon as I post my complaint, the folder turns red...Hmmm? Must be my system. Duhhh. Sorry.

Hanly

I'm a little upset, though, that when I refresh my browser I get kicked out to the Main menu. It didn't used to do that.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

docgibby
congrats on getting into msu :)
sorry i couldn't tell you sooner!
that is awesome!

msu wannabe,

peds

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The site actually was only closed last Thursday, but we goofed in pointing the links to the new location.

I've temporarily stopped the banner ad at at the bottom because it was annoying.

Here's what's going to happen over the next few weeks:

1. The lounge will be programmed so we can get rid of the bottom ad frame and that will fix the pesky problem with refreshes taking you back to the top page -- we didn't know about that problem -- thanks for the bug report!

2. We're going to add free web-space for our guests. Students and pre-meds will be able to sign-up for 2 free MB of webspace on the StudentDoctor Network.

3. A residency and medical school interview feedback board will be available soon.

If you have other suggestions, post them here. Bug reports too!

If you've got a suggestion that we use, or a bug we need to fix, you'll get a free SDN T-shirt.

Hey Lee and anyone else! I've got a problem, though it may be a problem with me, who knows. Ever since the new look, the Lounge does recognize me and tell me which messages are new, but for the 1st reply of every time I log in, I have to reenter my name and password. (After I do it once, and have not left, it stays and automatically fills in). Before I would never have to enter it. Is there something that changed in my personal setup or something? My browser is set to accept all cookies... (and it hasn't changed between the old lounge and new) Just wondering, cause I hate to keep looking up that password.. Thanks!

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

I just love this place! All you great people, an interview/residency page and now free T-shirts? ! I never have to go to any other sites!

I have always had to enter my name and password before posting. I admit that those passwords they give you are impossible to remember--my SUGGESTION is that we get to choose our passwords and if we can't think of a novel one after a couple of tries, we are given one of these mnemonically impossible ones to remember as a cruel and unusual punishment. After a while (as one approaches Senior Member status) the password becomes easier to remember, so don't dispair.

I also SUGGEST that one can become a senior member, not merely based on the quantity of their posts, but on the total quantity of text they contribute to the site. It can take a long time just to write one long post. Or maybe this status should be given to those who have been active members of the site for a specified amount of time (as the term Senior suggests).

Most of all, though, I hope this post doesn't start a thread about Senior Member status that crashes the site! Although with this flashy new high-speed business, I guess we can handle it.

-RDO

Site looks great! I have commented before that this is probably the best discussion group format I have seen. Congratualations on such a great site. FYI, I have a DSL line so I dont think it is my end, but the new site is actually slower for me. I am not complaining just giving you some feedback. The rest of my surfing is business as usual, but moving through posts is pretty slow right now at SDN. I have to enter my UserName and Password every time as well. Keep up the good work.

Hi!

Here's a tip if you want an easier password to remember.

Go to the "profile" selection in the top left corner. From there you'll be able to edit your profile and change your password as well (so you can pick something more memorable than sD205kbl).

However, whenever you change your email address the system will send you a new password. This is a security feature of the board to prevent false registrations.

I'm a very happy camper. Kudos to the team for a wonderful site. I can't really palate the "other sites" for premeds (you know who you are!) where there is massive bragging, "role-playing", and other childish behaviour that leads to a very uninformative and non-productive environment. When I need answers I come here. Pre-osteo students are also unwelcome there and often a target for their little "shots". I would really like to see a chat go in. It would be a better place for all the fun we seem to have as well, but I suppose it's always good to tune in next time to see what happens next..
Could you set up the board to forward us to the main index of strings rather than back to the individual string we posted to? I may be presumptuous but we have already read the posts there and we are ready to read the next string. Thanks!

------------------
From one thing learn 10,000 things..
-Miyamoto Musashi

2 quick observations/suggestions:

1--for the problem of having to re-enter Username and Password everytime, click 'preferences' under the 'post new topic' & 'post reply' heading at the top right. You'll be offered the choice of the site retaining your Screen-name and Password.

2--Yes, the bottom-dwelling banner is a pain in the @$$. However, until they program it away, you can re-size it just like any other window by placing your cursor on the border, L mouse click and hold...then drag that dude downward and out of your hair!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Yeah the lounge is great now. Much faster for me. Good job to whomever worked on it.

Thanks Lee! My problemo is fixed. BTW, a chat room sounds like a great suggestion. Count my vote in.

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

A realtime chatroom would be pretty neat. You have my vote.

I think a live chat would be great

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Two thumbs up on the chat room!

Thanks for getting rid of that banner at the bottom---it made things -so- slow!

How about a member list. The list would give general info like email, # of posts, etc..

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Prior to merging with the SDN, medicalstudent.net had its own very busy message board system.

Medicalstudent.net is honored to have merged into the SDN and is pleased that the transition has been so smooth for our members.

As far as chatrooms go, for now, medicalstudent.net has a java based realtime chatroom with a suggested schedule of chats. When the SDN gets its own room, Medicalstudent.net will merge it's chat room too.

Don't worry, no matter which member of the SDN you access message boards and chat rooms from, you will always be on a common, shared system, communicating with the same, fine people.

In the end, Medicalstudent.net, one of the largest and most frequented medical education sites on the internet, hopes its example of UNIFYING premeds, medical (DO and MD) students, other health professionals, and physicians by sharing message boards and chat rooms with other great sites will set an example for the commercial sites that still separate and divide this community.

In our opinion, no message board system comes close matching to the quality and quantity of this system.

Medicalstudent.net is honored to be in such fine community with premeds, DOs, MDs, med students, premed advisors, parents, high school students, and other diverse members. We are also happy to be in association with the other great medical education sites that comprise the Student Doctor Netork.

Stay tuned over the next couple of years as our website network becomes more tightly integrated, more user friendly, and simply the best place for future healthcare professionals to communicate and get information.

Good to be here!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net http://www.medicalstudent.net

[This message has been edited by medicalstudent.net (edited 10-30-1999).]