low 20's now...30 possible on real deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuttinEmUp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
or am i just up shi*t creek :(

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on which test u took, and maybe u just had a bad day, take another one and see what u get

Dont worry, you'll do it. There is something about the real deal that is so much different from all of the diags that are taken. I tied my highest diag score on my real MCAT (a 30O)....but then on the other hand, i miss timed myself on the verbal part and wound up with 9 extra minutes to spare.

this was my 3rd. exam. although i admit that i totally glazed over in the VR section (consquently went down 2 points in it!) i havent scored higher than low 20's on any of the full length practices

with ALOT of practice problems (as well as 2 full lengths every weeek), and study can it go up to 30 or even 30+ or am i being dreamily hopeful?

NOTE* i am registered for the april MCAT -- so we are talking less than a month away

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm in similar situation, only I did not take as many full lengths as you. Well, why not wait till august? I figure i will study hard, than take 7r on april 1st, see where i stand. Worst comes to worst, ill take in august.

If they are tests made by test prep companies, you still have an outside shot. If you are scoring low 20's on AAMC tests, you are up the creek. Of course it still depends on how much you have already prepared and how much more you plan to prepare, but you are probably screwed, honestly.

If you prepare really hard and cram the science stuff every day, you might have an outside shot at a 30. You could always take it and then cancel your test at the end if you think you bombed on test day. My practice tests were pretty indicative of actual MCAT performance though. Good luck!

Don't take the test next month. It is so much better to wait until you are 100% prepared to take the MCAT than it is to just screw it up again (and have to take it yet again). Especially after taking the test more than once and receiving a mediocre score, nothing is going to happen over the next few weeks that is going to help you reach a 30. To heck with this "outside shot" crap. The MCAT isn't something to take chances with. It is designed to kick your ass if you are not mentally and physically prepared for it. Do yourself some good and wait until August. I am speaking from experience here.

CuttinEmUp said:
or am i just up shi*t creek :(

You mean getting 20's now and getting a 30 on the real thing next month or just getting a 30 whenever you take it. Absolutely it can be done, but in a month that'll take quite an effort.

It also depends on why you are getting 20's. If you just arent all that well prepared and you havent got the necessary science down, a months worth of effort could certainly put you in the 30's. If you have the material down but are having problems with logic or endurance, it might take longer.

So many people do a lot of practice without reviewing enough first. It doenst make sense. I took a practice test once with someone before I reviewed, knew how to go about the problem but didnt have the background info to get the correct answer. You cant apply knowledge unless you have knowledge, regardless of how smart you are or how good of a test taker you are. Even if you know how to go about the problem, without the background you will get it wrong, waste your time, and get discouraged. I think it makes more sense to spend a month or however long it takes with your review books first, mastering the background material, then taking practice tests and going over them.

Even then you can easily improve several points in a few weeks. I studied that way and improved 6 points from my first to fourth test even though I had my review books memorized (I am serious, everything in the books, it wasnt necessary but I have taken so many extra classes and ta'd so for me it was easy). The problem wasnt that I lacked knowledge or even that I didnt know how to do the problems, it was just that it was hard not to make silly mistakes when taking such a long test and trying to finish in good time. When I went over the tests I was able to understand the kind of mistakes I made, which were most often the kind of things I wouldnt have done if it wasnt a time pressured situation, and after taking more tests I was learned to avoid them. I also increased my endurance.

For verbal I say just read a lot. I didnt think the logic part of verbal was hard, its just hard to finish and absorb it all with the time pressure. People who say you dont need detail from the passages are full of $hit. Although many of the question I got wrong were technically logic questions, to make the appropriate inference you needed to keep in mind several details form the passage (which makes it a detail question to if you ask me), and its hard to keep those details in ming when you are worried about just finishing the damn thing. Practicing your reading helps because it improves your ability to keep focused for the entire time.

Sorry this was so long, I like to rant. My point was that it can be done. If you dont have the material down of course you will do $hitty, master that first then practice. Once you do that then you will be able to work on improving your thinking skills and not just make mistakes because you dont remember definitions and crap like that. If you are getting 20's very soon before the real test I say put it off till August.

Fusion said:
Don't take the test next month. It is so much better to wait until you are 100% prepared to take the MCAT than it is to just screw it up again (and have to take it yet again). Especially after taking the test more than once and receiving a mediocre score, nothing is going to happen over the next few weeks that is going to help you reach a 30. To heck with this "outside shot" crap. The MCAT isn't something to take chances with. It is designed to kick your ass if you are not mentally and physically prepared for it. Do yourself some good and wait until August. I am speaking from experience here.
you know, I gotta admit with Fusion. I mean, probably a year ago I woulda said "take it, what the hell" but I really think you should try to somewhat hit your goal. The first time I took it, I did decent, then the second time I thought I was ready...definately not. i was making like 24s. and then got a 23. which sucked. so then I studied my ass off and ended up with a 29. oh well, it did the trick. but if you don't feel prepared, don't take it. I know it's hard to do that. but honestly. I feel like it's the best way to go and be ready. there's not "for sure be ready" u just gotta figure it out urself.

thank you everyone for the GREAT responses so far....iamgoaloriented--Thank you SO much for the VERY perceptive response..and to be honest..you totally hit the nail on the head. I am scoring low 20's because I am not fully done with the Kaplan Review course im enrolled in. So far i do okay in the stuff we have covered..but obvoiusly i am really getting rocked when it comes to material we havent covered.

I think you posted a realistic balance between what can be done and how in the time period i have left---I realize now after reading your post (which was NOT too long at all!) that I can do this...but i will have to apply myself really hard..and use the practice tests that are close to the actual test date as markers of how i might perform on test day. If the trend from now until the last kaplan full length is on a solid incline in all areas..then I might go ahead. If i am still scoring in the low 20's...then there is obviously an issue that needs to be resolved before taking the MCAT.

CuttinEmUp said:
thank you everyone for the GREAT responses so far....iamgoaloriented--Thank you SO much for the VERY perceptive response..and to be honest..you totally hit the nail on the head. I am scoring low 20's because I am not fully done with the Kaplan Review course im enrolled in. So far i do okay in the stuff we have covered..but obvoiusly i am really getting rocked when it comes to material we havent covered.

I think you posted a realistic balance between what can be done and how in the time period i have left---I realize now after reading your post (which was NOT too long at all!) that I can do this...but i will have to apply myself really hard..and use the practice tests that are close to the actual test date as markers of how i might perform on test day. If the trend from now until the last kaplan full length is on a solid incline in all areas..then I might go ahead. If i am still scoring in the low 20's...then there is obviously an issue that needs to be resolved before taking the MCAT.

you have to excuse me, im in the lab, its 4 am, im freakin...tired....but i just wanted to add my two cents. im in the same boat, im takin tpr...and just descovered all the other resources that are out there...and instead of getting depressed cuz im not ready, im waiting to august. wiat till the last one, then go for it. but its def. true. you need the knowledge first, kid. so get that solid, then attack. or something...