Low August (last year) MCAT Score.... August Retake. Does my plan look ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nazgul83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I took my MCAT August 2005 and it wasn't pretty, a 26M (8VR, 9PS, 9BS). I'm going to retake the MCAT this August (let's not focus on why I didn't take the April one) but I don't know what to do with the rest of my application. Should I send in my AMCAS now? I don't want medical schools to cut me off based on my old MCAT score. And if they are going to hold on to my app until this year's score comes out anyway, wouldn't it be better to send it in later so I can have some more time to work on my secondaries? I know I'm at a disadvantage but I just gotta work with what I got.

Some of my stats are:
I just graduated and am enrolled in one year masters program (MS).
GPA (overall and science) = 3.83
EC: all the stuff most applicants do (volunteer, shadowing, research, etc) but I guess the thing that distinguishes me from others is that I have a publication with first authorship as an undergraduate and attended a major national cancer meeting in which I presented my research.

Thanks a lot!
I'm in California, by the way

Members don't see this ad.

nazgul83 said:
Hello guys. I took my MCAT August 2005 and it wasn't pretty, a 26M (8VR, 9PS, 9BS). I'm going to retake the MCAT this August (let's not focus on why I didn't take the April one) but I don't know what to do with the rest of my application. Should I send in my AMCAS now? I don't want medical schools to cut me off based on my old MCAT score. And if they are going to hold on to my app until this year's score comes out anyway, wouldn't it be better to send it in later so I can have some more time to work on my secondaries? I know I'm at a disadvantage but I just gotta work with what I got.

Some of my stats are:
I just graduated and am enrolled in one year masters program (MS).
GPA (overall and science) = 3.83
EC: all the stuff most applicants do (volunteer, shadowing, research, etc) but I guess the thing that distinguishes me from others is that I have a publication with first authorship as an undergraduate and attended a major national cancer meeting in which I presented my research.

Thanks a lot!
I'm in California, by the way
You can indicate on AMCAS that you're taking the August exam so that schools will wait to look at your file until your scores come in. You should definitely get AMCAS filled out asap so that you can work on secondaries and be complete except for MCAT before Oct. That might give you somewhat of an advantage over other Aug MCATers who waited to fill out the app until late, so send AMCAS in as soon as you can!!