Low AW GRE Score - thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarah112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just found this website - this is great!

I am applying to a range of schools this year, but my heart is set on a couple of top-notch programs. I have worked so hard over the past 8 years in preparation (maintaining 3.9 GPA in undergrad, working in a clinical research lab for 5 years, co-authored publications, [hopefully] great LORs, etc.). I re-took the GRE recently, and was really happy about my scores: went from 570V to 610V and 610Q to 700Q. However, I just received my AW score, and am now devastated - I went from a 4.5 to a 4.

How much weight is placed on the AW? I have yet to see an official cut-off score, but most of the programs have an average of 5 to 5.5. I mostly hear about the cut-off V and Q scores, but no one really talks about the AW.

The AW seems so mysterious to me - I am usually a decent writer, and was not worried about that section of the test. Now I am in the 30th percentile for writing! Panic mode..... :eek:

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My impression is that because the AW section is based on a subjective score, it's not really given a lot of weight. A well written personal statement will demonstrate to schools that you are perfectly capable of writing.

Last edited:
I don't think a 4 will sink you. If you have the option of sending a writing sample (besides your personal statement) I'd suggest sending your best paper, just as a precaution. If there's a GRE section you can do less than perfectly on, the AW is the one.

Hi,
I just found this website - this is great!

I am applying to a range of schools this year, but my heart is set on a couple of top-notch programs. I have worked so hard over the past 8 years in preparation (maintaining 3.9 GPA in undergrad, working in a clinical research lab for 5 years, co-authored publications, [hopefully] great LORs, etc.). I re-took the GRE recently, and was really happy about my scores: went from 570V to 610V and 610Q to 700Q. However, I just received my AW score, and am now devastated - I went from a 4.5 to a 4.

How much weight is placed on the AW? I have yet to see an official cut-off score, but most of the programs have an average of 5 to 5.5. I mostly hear about the cut-off V and Q scores, but no one really talks about the AW.

The AW seems so mysterious to me - I am usually a decent writer, and was not worried about that section of the test. Now I am in the 30th percentile for writing! Panic mode..... :eek:

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Your 1310 will get noticed, and likely, your AW score will be ignored. It seems that many programs pay it about as much attention as they do to Psi Chi membership.

Mark