Low BCP gpa (<3.0). Is dental school still possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamilton32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
Overall gpa: 3.6
Science gpa: 3.3
BCP gpa: 2.9 (assuming I do well this quarter)
Dat Scores: 21AA/20TS/20PAT

Related EC:
-Pre-Dental club
-100+ hours shadowing gen dentist
-Extensive volunteering for a health focused non-profit

Misc:
-Econ major
-In social fraternity
-Internships at financial institutions
-Planning on applying this summer

I want to get into a school in CA or at least the west coast. Is that possible? What do you think are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

The schools I'm looking into applying to are:
Uni Nevada, Las Vegas
Loma Linda
USC
UCSF
UCLA
UOP
Western
Midwestern
Uni Washington
Uni of Utah
A.T. Still University
Roseman University
LECOM
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry

What do you guys think?

What is your state of residence? Either way, Utah and Washington are very OOS unfriendly. Also, I would consider applying to dental schools with large class sizes that are private like NYU, Tufts, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from California. I'll add Tufts and BU to the list also.

Utah loves Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana OOS students. just fyi. ( I talked to their dean about it)

UCLA, UCSF and UWashington ....

With your overall GPA and your DAT score... you might have a shot at NYU. I had a 3.2 undergrad GPA, science/BCP was a 2.98, 21AA as well. I also had an MA with a 3.7 GPA but that was not in a science field... So definitely I'd say add NYU to the list, because while it's not a huge shot, it's still a shot.

I had a 3.6 undergrad 3.8 grad and 2.9 science gpa. I applied to 18 schools and was accepted to 2 schools this year. I'm non traditional so those experiences helped.

With your overall GPA and your DAT score... you might have a shot at NYU. I had a 3.2 undergrad GPA, science/BCP was a 2.98, 21AA as well. I also had an MA with a 3.7 GPA but that was not in a science field... So definitely I'd say add NYU to the list, because while it's not a huge shot, it's still a shot.
I'll apply there too. Isn't it similar to USC though in terms of stats?

If you dont mind me asking, what was your masters in? I thought that if you did a masters, it MUST be in a science (biology, biomedical, etc)?

My masters is in Adolescent Science Education. I'm certified to teach high school biology and general middle school science. I had a few science courses for the degree, but they were electives.

My masters is in Adolescent Science Education. I'm certified to teach high school biology and general middle school science. I had a few science courses for the degree, but they were electives.

Oh. Very interesting. Did you consider that as a back up in case dental school didn't work out?

I taught for a year because I didn't get in on my first time around applying.

I taught for a year because I didn't get in on my first time around applying.

I gotcha. I have considered sub teaching while I wait next cycle. It's not the same level as actually teaching but those loans aren't going to pay themselves...lol

The ADEA predental guide comes out on the 15th. Get it for stats on OOS friendly schools. In addition, I would also advise you to get last year's guide as well to get a wider understanding.

I had a 3.6 undergrad 3.8 grad and 2.9 science gpa. I applied to 18 schools and was accepted to 2 schools this year. I'm non traditional so those experiences helped.
What was your DAT if you you don't mind me asking...

I would remove OHSU, UCLA, UCSF.
UWash accepts OOS but mostly from WICHE, but you can give that a shot.

Guys, I know my stats are low but I want to know what my stats are without masters or post bacc
I am looking to apply to around 15-18 schools
oGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 2.9 (maybe 3.0 after this semester)
BCP: 3.0
DAT: not taken yet

Guys, I know my stats are low but I want to know what my stats are without masters or post bacc
I am looking to apply to around 15-18 schools
oGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 2.9 (maybe 3.0 after this semester)
BCP: 3.0
DAT: not taken yet

It's better to make your own thread for feedback rather than bumping one up from 2 years ago. With that said, your chances are impossible to predict without a DAT score, but given the GPA the odds are very low.