low bcp, shot at CA schools like UCLA?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by californiamed, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. californiamed

californiamed 7+ Year Member

I graduated from UCLA last year and decided I wanted to go into dentistry. Unfortunately, though my culm GPA is a 3.7 and I graduated w/ honors, my BCP is on the low side (at a 3.3). My science is a bit higher, haven't calculated it yet.

If I get a high DAT score, and A's in 2 science classes I'm taking next semester (at a CC), will I have a shot at UCLA? Can I offset the GPA w/ that high DAT (and how high)? It seems their bcp is on the high side at a 3.6.. :( & how about other California schools? I know USC is expensive, but they're "easier" to get into.

Last edited: 09.29.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. CaliforniaDMD

CaliforniaDMD 2+ Year Member

What made you decide to switch from med to dentistry? And since your BCP GPA is low, you might consider taking advanced science classes at a university as opposed to a CC to show that you can handle rigorous coursework, which is something UCLA dental definitely looks for.

4. californiamed

californiamed 7+ Year Member

Parents wanted me to go med, I didn't. Took me a while to realize I truly wanted to pursue dentistry. I want to do uni but its expensive, besides I'm taking only 2 classes. But I was just wondering if a high DAT can offset the bcp if possible. And what score?

5. RunninUWorld

RunninUWorld

I would shoot for 23+ on DAT and I think you will have a great shot. Good luck.

About the ads