1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Low BS score

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bokimbo, Nov 15, 2002.

1. bokimbo

bokimbo Member
    7+ Year Member

My April MCAT scores were:

PS:11
    BS: 8
    VR: 7
    WS: P

My August MCAT scores were:

PS:10
    BS: 8
    VR:10
    WS: R

Is the 8 on BS going to kill my application for osteopathic schools? Tell me the truth please--I can handle it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. futurdoc11

futurdoc11 Member
    7+ Year Member

I do not think it will hurt your chances. I also have a BS score of 8. I have been accepted to KCOM and I have an interview at CCOM in January. I think if you have a well rounded application you will have no problems getting in.

4. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your scores are still good. Don't worry. Good luck!

- Tae

5. CAC

CAC Member
    7+ Year Member

No....look at the MCAT averages for DO schools. All are typically in the 8-9 range.

You'll do fine!

6. Dr Sum Day

Dr Sum Day SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Yeah, your score is good. I'll trade you!! :D

7. jpinsky

jpinsky Member
    7+ Year Member

11PS 8 BS 7VS PWS

i got into OUCOM and LECOM (Had 5 other interviews but cancelled all of them after i heard from OUCOM)

don't be ridiculous....

8. ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Your TOTAL application will be reviewed. Admissions Committees at osteopathic medical colleges evaluate applicants like DOs evaluate their patients -- holistically. Everyone does not get in, but if your entire application is strong and you have a sincere interest in becoming osteopathic physician, you'll have a good shot.

9. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    bokimbo,

how did you improve your VR score from a 7 in april to a 10 in august. i took the august mcat and did well in sciences but bombed VR. i am thinking of retesting in april 2003. i'd appreciate as much info as you can spare as to how you accomplished this.

thanks

10. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason
    10+ Year Member

gotta love the social proof and the insecurities that applying to med school brings out of normally over-achieving, anal-retentive and (sometimes) above-average-intelligent people (yeah, I was one too :clap: ).

28 on the MCAT will get you the interview, yet you're still in the bell curve... stand out at your interview and don't worry so much...

-A

P.S. I got a 6 on my PS and I got into all the schools I applied to... Then again, I'm more anal than most.... :laugh:

11. bokimbo

bokimbo Member
    7+ Year Member

lattimer,
    to be quite honest, I was shocked when I got my April scores back; I knew that I was weak in organic chemistry, so the 8 in BS didn't shock me. But the 7 in verbal was the shock of my life---I really couldn't comprehend how i got such a low verbal score. When I retook the MCAT in August, I did nothing special to prepare for the verbal section. My August MCAT scores are more reflective of my strengths and weaknesses.

But my advice to you is to spend lots of time reading (practice MCAT verbal sections, news magazines, newspapers); I really think that this would help the verbal section go smoother on test day.