Low CARS score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ef2497ef

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So i tested on 8/18, and got a 516 (130/126/129/131). Overall, I didn't do as well as I wanted but it is a great score and I'm happy with it. I'm overall concerned about my CARS score. I know that some med schools like to see a higher score in CARS because it can show critical analysis skills. In regards to top med schools, I know that this overall score of 516 doesn’t keep me out of the running, but rather it may just be more of an uphill battle. But I’m worried that the CARS score may pose an even larger problem. What do you guys think?

I'm also generally curious based on data from the MSAR what my chances might be for a top 20 med school with this score along with a 3.83 science and overall GPA from a top 20 undergrad, along with good extracurriculars, volunteering, and solid clinical exposure. If you have any input on that as well, I would definitely appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

So i tested on 8/18, and got a 516 (130/126/129/131). Overall, I didn't do as well as I wanted but it is a great score and I'm happy with it. I'm overall concerned about my CARS score. I know that some med schools like to see a higher score in CARS because it can show critical analysis skills. In regards to top med schools, I know that this overall score of 516 doesn’t keep me out of the running, but rather it may just be more of an uphill battle. But I’m worried that the CARS score may pose an even larger problem. What do you guys think?

I'm also generally curious based on data from the MSAR what my chances might be for a top 20 med school with this score along with a 3.83 science and overall GPA from a top 20 undergrad, along with good extracurriculars, volunteering, and solid clinical exposure. If you have any input on that as well, I would definitely appreciate it! Thanks so much!
I have a similar score layout as you (130/126/130/129), such an annoyance with one low subsection and it being CARS lol. There are some schools that prioritize CARS, while many others prioritize bio/biochem--it is school specific. I wouldn't think that a 126 (which is like 72nd percentile if I remember) will be a hindrance. I think you'll be fine for many med schools. Top 20 may be a slight reach, but I think you still have a chance. A 516 is a great score, and with top schools having around a 519ish average, you're not super far off (maybe around 25th Percentile for top schools?)--you still have a chance! Just do some cool stuff during the app cycle so you have meaningful updates. Good luck!~

i have a question....

so you got the equiv of 504 on CARs and someone thinks that's 72nd percentile, which is pretty good.

what is the effect of one more correct answer? does anyone know?

for the 4 functional areas, which has the highest variance in terms of raw scores (i.e. % correct)? i think it must be B/B. the rest of the exam is either highly gettable or everyone has the same issues with the questions (CAR's, some P/S)

i have a question....

so you got the equiv of 504 on CARs and someone thinks that's 72nd percentile, which is pretty good.

what is the effect of one more correct answer? does anyone know?

for the 4 functional areas, which has the highest variance in terms of raw scores (i.e. % correct)? i think it must be B/B. the rest of the exam is either highly gettable or everyone has the same issues with the questions (CAR's, some P/S)
I just looked at my MCAT and the AAMC MCAT percentiles online and confirmed a 126 in CARS in 72nd percentile. But a 126 in C/P is 66th percentile, B/B 64th, C/P is 62nd--for a 126. Since the MCAT is on a "bell curve" if you're around a 125, you'd have to get a couple questions more right to move up in score. But, if you're in the 129+ range, one question could mean the difference between a 131 and 132 lol. I don't think the raw scores really matter though because every exam is scaled to the exact same measure. But, I can see bio/biochem being the most difficult for the majority of test takers if that is what you're asking. However, this is purely speculative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Paul, thx for the color..... so that suggests CARs has the highest variance in raw score. probably makes sense as tons and tons of former ESL students write the exam. probably some top liberal arts people (with some science pre-req's) at other end.

my point about improving CARs scores is whether it would really be worth it to try to get 2 more questions. there's an inherent variability to the test, maybe not so much in CARs. but in sciences, probably 2-3 Q's i had no idea and 2-3 questions where i thought they didn't test any longer or that my preferred material didn't cover but i'd "seen" in kaplan or in mcat summary notes online. the test definitely has that type of variability. of course, it can work for you too if you know that super-obscure (not on exam?) Q's.

will a medical school understand/care that someone just retook the MCAT to vastly improve CARs? or will they penalize you if the other 3 areas fall even though you previously had stellar scores for them?.... i'm thinking the latter

will a medical school understand/care that someone just retook the MCAT to vastly improve CARs? or will they penalize you if the other 3 areas fall even though you previously had stellar scores for them?.... i'm thinking the latter
Latter. The risk is too high, but I'm sure you'll still get some love.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, the risk is very high for an extra one or two CARS points. I think it's a tough situation to be in, but I wouldn't risk your other solid scores for a maybe on the CARS. That is, unless, you felt like you just really underperformed on the CARS than you normally would and you feel very confident you could repeat your other scores.

Congrats on a very solid score!